Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Red face block shoot, board shoot, skeet, sporting clays

I am looking at purchasing a used Winchester 1400 with a 30 inch full choke barrel to use for local board/ block shoots and may get into skeet, or clays. Are there any restrictions on the choke that is a standard rule? I heard one place has a .680 rule??? Will I be okay to use a full choke barrel as a 'standard' barrel? I understand my shots need to be more on target and will not spread like some chokes, but I am definately okay with that. Any help would be appreciated.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: block shoot, board shoot, skeet, sporting clays

Here is a chart of the shotgun chokes constrictions.. Hope this helps

http://www.shotgunsportsmagazine.com...story0110.html

(Berks County)

Smile Re: block shoot, board shoot, skeet, sporting clays

Thank you. Theres the measurments I needed. Much appreciated.

Oley fish and game is near you. Tuesday night sporting clays, wed night skeet. Plus some sundays.

Very casual.

You can shoot any choke (even full) for skeet or clays and still "function" and enjoy yourself, but skeet is close range, so a more open choke is preferred by most unless they are trying to make it more challenging. sporting clays you can use more choke since some birds are farther out.

http://www.federatedsportsmensclubso...shandgame.html
    Last edited by john doe; November 11th, 2010 at 09:37 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Full choke is great for trap but way to tight for skeet. In skeet you are breaking the birds at 25 yards or less. You can let the high house single on station 1 and 2 and the low house single on station 6 and 7 get out there but if you don't break those birds in the first 25 yards on the doubles you'll never break the second bird before it passes you and goes out of sight. Your breaking those incomers at 10 or 15 yards and station 8 you break at 5 or 6 yards.

At Sporting Clays I've occasionally put a Mod. in for an occasional shot but most SC shots are best taken with IC or even a skeet choke.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Berks County)

If I would purchase the 1400 with the 30" full choke barrel is it possible to put a screw in type choke on it or do I need to buy a gun with this already? If I can any idea what the cost would be (approximately obviously). Also thanks for all the information. I am calling Oley this afternoon. I may go out to watch a few first. Want a gun to get started in as cheap as possible.

Jeff,

I'm a member of Oley and head out every tuesday the weather isn't too bad. you don't have to worry about watching the first few times, we'd be happy to let you shoot, and most guys (myself included) would let you use our gear to try out and see what you like. come out soon, our informal club championship with long bird contest is the 14th, and you don't have to be a member!

just FYI, once you start shooting shot gun games, you will get addicted and supplement (almost never replace) what you shoot with. I have tried a bunch, started with a pump 12 gauge with modified chokes, and now shoot a franchi over under with cylinder and improved cylinder chokes with much success. I shot my remington 1100 which had the full choke in it and that really hurt my scores... I've since cut that barrel off to make it cylinder and I love it.

shoot me a PM and i'll be happy to show you the ropes and let you try out some different set ups.

steve

If I recall correctly some mkI (early) 1400's have fixed chokes, mkII and ranger models have winchokes.

I actually have the a 1400 ranger you are welcome to try out. I'm usually there tuesdays and wednesdays.

And as stevie said, just show up. watching sucks
    Last edited by john doe; November 12th, 2010 at 09:54 PM.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff45 View Post
    If I would purchase the 1400 with the 30" full choke barrel is it possible to put a screw in type choke on it or do I need to buy a gun with this already? If I can any idea what the cost would be (approximately obviously). Also thanks for all the information. I am calling Oley this afternoon. I may go out to watch a few first. Want a gun to get started in as cheap as possible.
    You can send the gun to Briley or Kolar and have it threaded for choke tubes. Briley charges $179. for this on pumps and semi autos and that includes 3 flush mounted choke tubes but does not include shipping.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

(Berks County)

Talking Re: block shoot, board shoot, skeet, sporting clays

All s appreciated. WHat time do the shoots start on Tuesday and Wednesday. Also what is the contact information for Briley or Kolar? Thanks again. Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast