Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default New Job, New Duty Weapon...

So I got this private security gig while I wait until my LE Career picks back up. I find out that the company I just started working for lets me carry whatever weapon I want (within reason) and lets me carry it pretty much however I want. First let me say that I'm kinda' attached to my P220 but I don't want to carry it for this job if I have a choice. There are three reasons for this.

First: More guns are always good and I want another gun. Second: I was never really comfortable with just eight rounds in the magazine. I want more. ALL of the officers and agents I know who have been involved in shootings tell me that the biggest weapon factor effecting survivability is magazine capacity. Third: I'd like to keep my Sig as nice as I can keep it. So I'd rather not use it.

Now let me say that I have always wanted a Glock, just to add one to the stable, so to speak. The reliability, durability and toughness I think are qualities of these guns that are beyond reproach at this point. The Glock I want is the Glock 20 Compensated with night sights. The points in its favor are the 15 round magazine capacity, the $600 pricetag, the simplicity of design and operation and best of all, I can beat the shit out of it and not really worry about it. The only downside is that ammo is expensive, but I reload, so its not an issue. The duty holsters I prefer are available and so are the duty-style magazine pouches.

Who's got a G20C!?!?!?
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Default Re: New Job, New Duty Weapon...

If you like Glock and full capacity is what you want the G17 is a 17 shot 9mm gun and the Glock 22 is a 15 shot 40 cal gun, a lot officers like carrying the same ammo and gun that therir partner has for exchanging magazine sake. Though a rare situation were a Law enforcement officer would need to burrow an fellow officer mag but it could happen. If thats not a consideration the Glock 21 holds 13 rounds its a 45acp. Glocks are Glocks.

(Bucks County)

id go for the 17 also, if you get a compensated model you wont need night sites, u will be blind after the first shot if its dark out.

check out a hk P30 also.

Believe it or not, the G17 is WAAAAYYYY too small for my mutant hands. The G20 and G21 fit much better. Good to know about the compensated models, Glock claims that the V design reduces front sight blackening. It'll be a standard barrel G20 GNS then. Partners gear isn't an issue here as I am working alone. Is Glock going to release a Gen 4 version of the G20?
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Montgomery County)

Not trying to drift your thread, but I'd choose the gun the I shoot the best - especially if my life might depend on it. Mag capacity is great, but if you don't get good hits it's useless.

If you shoot the P220 best, I'd go with it and a few spare mags on your belt.
    If it gets some character along the way, you can always get another "range only" gun.

Good luck with the job - stay safe!!

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(York County)

I have to agree with the previous post. Go with what you feel comfy with. and shoot well with.

I would suggest staying with a Sig, say a CPO model to save a little coin. As far as caliber/capacity choice, I would seriously look at 357Sig over a 9mm or a 40cal.

Heck, I'd take a 9mm over a 40 any day of the week, but that's another debate.

Good luck!!
    You never see a motorcycle parked ouside a psychiatrist's office!

(Delaware County)

Glock 20 Compensated with night sights is a no go for a duty weapon. a compensated firearm is an issue with low light firing and firing from a retention position; it is going to blind you at night and could blow debris in your face. I think 10mm is overkill, I can not see why a .40 is not enough.

as to your Sig issue, i understand this feeling, but i would be hard pressed to find a better duty weapon. i shoot my 220 better than any other semi I have or have had. i can shoot a Glock just fine, but i shoot a 220 better. thats the gun i'm rolling with. if i want more rounds I can use ten round mags, or go with a 226 or 229 in .40, either weapon you will be well armed. on the other hand, a Glock is a fine weapon also. go with the one you shoot best
    THINK ABOUT IT TWICE, Cause you're slow with your hands

(Cambria County)

You don't need the 20c,get the regular 20.Having ports just makes it louder and creates more muzzle flash.Use light weight bullets so you don't get over penetration.Double Tap makes 135gr at about 1700fps.Lots of power that shouldn't go thru someone.

(Montgomery County)

IMO, you already have one of (if not THE) finest combat/service pistols ever designed, in the Sig P220.

I wouldn't consider any other .45 automatic to really be a "step up" in any way whatsoever.

Capacity? OK, I understand the appeal, but like others have said - You'll be wearing a duty rig, right - And so you can load up at least 2 extra 10 rounders on your weak side, and have 8 + 1 in the gun...

I think you just want an excuse to buy a new gun

Regards,

Bones

ETA - Yes, I understand the appeal of the 10mm also (one nasty round) - But I think some level of realism is in order here, no?
    Last edited by JoeyBones; November 10th, 2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: .45 ACP is fine....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Fastball View Post
    I have to agree with the previous post. Go with what you feel comfy with. and shoot well with.

I would suggest staying with a Sig, say a CPO model to save a little coin. As far as caliber/capacity choice, I would seriously look at 357Sig over a 9mm or a 40cal.

Heck, I'd take a 9mm over a 40 any day of the week, but that's another debate.

Good luck!!
    i'd carry the 220. not sure there is a better 45 out there. i might be biased as i'm a big sig fan not on the level of 1blindref mind you.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast