Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default removing taurus 1911 slide roll marks?

ok, so I just picked up a nice taurus 1911 in stainless. this isn't a taurus bashing thread, it actually has a nice trigger and functions perfectly. my only gripe is the ugly ass writing on both sides of the slide. I would love to have that junk removed so it's just stainless.

is there a way to do that or do I need to send it out to have it done? I don't have a grinder, but do have a dremel, sandpaper, and free time. anybody have any idea how or where to do this?
    oh yeah, all the junk looks like this: http://media.photobucket.com/image/t...AURUS45002.jpg

Steve

(Monroe County)

Default Re: removing taurus 1911 slide roll marks?

Mine looked like this: I considered doing the same thing but changed my mind .

No you cannot use grinders and dremels , it will leave an uneven finish , the grinder will just outright destroy it. It must be done on a large flat even stone where you wipe the entire surface over the stone evenly.
    There is an gun smithing video on the net on this , they strongly advise against a dremel or grinder, your stainless doesnt look that obvious as mine does.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you try to do the honda to acura mod? you know remove the honda badges and replace them with acura.

no, not to compare to rice rockets. I would just love to not hear all the taurus bashing every time I whip it out of the holster at the range or to compete. Plus, I'm a fan of my gear preforming well, not worried about the make.
    I would love to have a plain stainless that just shines with no BS.

plus all the writing really looks like shit.

But if I stone the whole slide, won't I get rid of the cocking serrations or are they too deep?

(Bucks County)

Without a machine shop it will be hard to get a good consistant job. Once you get the text off, you can probably match the finish of the rest of the gun by light sand/beadblasting then polishing with a buffing wheel and some polishing compound.

(Monroe County)

brake Kleen? Or bluing remover? then sand,then polish. I have a feeling it will take a while for the roll marks.

it's already stainless... so no need to strip a finish and then re-finish from what I've read. unfortunately, I don't have access to the tools I think really help (mill and/or grinders) and I'm scared to do it myself... But still want to!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    it's already stainless... so no need to strip a finish and then re-finish from what I've read. unfortunately, I don't have access to the tools I think really help (mill and/or grinders) and I'm scared to do it myself... But still want to!
    I'm just saying, if you do some work on it you might end up with marks or scratches on it.

When I took my stainless Buckmark to a gunsmith for threading, he had to sandblast the barrel to remove marks from the lathe chuck. After sandblasting the finish didn't match the rest of the gun. At first I was really dissapointed and thought it would never be the same, but then I hit it with a buffing wheel and polishing compound, and now it looks like its brand new. Its still not polished, more of a matte stainless finish (which is exactly what I was going for)

How deep is the text you are trying to remove?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    Oh yeah...you did say that...DUH! I read your post but pictured mrnyman's gun!

Another thought...you could get some bad ass custom work done to the slide, like dragon scales or something, that would get rid of those roll marks.Probably wouldn't be cheap though.

I'm not sure how deep the text is. How would I go about measuring it?

I'm new into kitchen table gunsmithing. I actually went to town on the slide and frame of a cheap norinco 1911 a while back, and it turned out more smooth than an ed brown as far as function, but haven't done anything this cosmetic before. I thought this would be a fun project before I go to town on my kimber to make it IPSC ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast