Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Long term storage of a DAO semi?

I've had a Colt 1911 sitting a safe for a few years that doesn't get much use. I always store it with the hammer down and safety off. I also own a couple DAO pistols including a few Glocks and LCP that mostly sit in the safe. My usual carry is a G36 or a Kimber Super Carry so they see the most range time and use. My question is how do you store your DA only guns for long term? Do you leave them half cocked or do you press the trigger before you put them away? I have been storing them half cocked but I am starting to think it may be safer to store it a SAO way?? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by JLeahy; November 9th, 2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: I can't type.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Long term storage of a DAO semi?

I put a light coat of oil or silicone on them and store them with the hammer/striker dropped.

I personally would drop the hammer to store them. On the other hand I have been told that it does no harm to the spring to leave it half-cocked; it is only moving the spring that reduces its resilience.

(Cumberland County)

I know Glock recommends storing them with the trigger reward, only the relieve pressure of the trigger spring. However, I store mine with a +1 round because I carry it often, and shoot it a tleast once a month. Same with my Kahr Mk40, which is my EDC, it stays +1 until I take it to the range. Again, same for my Hk, as it's on HD duty. It stays +1, half cocked (but it's a DA/SA).

For long term storage, I'd store it with the trigger pulled.

(Montgomery County)

If you want to store a firearm for a long time without paying mind to it and it is not in a temperature or humidity controlled environment put it in motor oil. Take off the grips, use a few zip lock bags (2 or 3 of them), dump enough clean motor oil to cover most of the weapon and seal it up.

As for the springs, they are nothing to worry about. Check your owners manual (for example my Neos say to keep the striker cocked, safety on while storing). If it does not say anything in particular do not worry about it. Springs wear out and are cheap. Changing all of the springs on an automatic pistol is part of normal maintenance. You should consider changing them every 5+ thousand rounds or three years, whichever comes first.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

I have a Beretta 96 centurion DAO smooth trigger nice gun. But you know I still like the DA?SA guns better that single action just adds to shot placement after the inital DA pull. I understand the reasoning for the DAO and think it might be a good idea for Law enforcement. But it reminds me of owning a smooth 12 shot revolver except that its easier to reload.

I like my 96 DAO but its not my favorite Beretta, I like the Glock 23 better maybe. It CC better and trigger is shorter, maybe not as smooth.

At one time every manufactor was coming out with one, Paraordance had out a 1911 DAO. Then came the Glock safe action.

I store mines in its box in my closet safe along with my others Guns, occassional I'll oil and wipe them down or clean them after shooting . After 10-20 years of storgae no rust no fuss.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 10th, 2010 at 02:02 PM.

(Monroe County)

The best way to store unused firearms is to send them to me. They will get frequent use and cleanings. Seriously though, if I'm not actually using a gun, I dry fire it before putting it away. If it's not going to be used for a while (which doesn't happen) I would give it a coat of Eezox before storing it. I also have desiccant bags in my safes.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; November 10th, 2010 at 03:26 PM.