Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default crack in shotgun forarm repair?

Hey all,

putting away my franchi alcione O/U today I found a hairline crack in the for arm where it joins the metal piece to get attached to the receiver. Just wondering the best way to get this fixed or should I send it out. I heard take it apart and use 2 part epoxy from the inside, but I'm not sure I want to mess with the stock (since it's so nice).

any ideas on what to do or where to send it?

S

(Indiana County)

Default Re: crack in shotgun forarm repair?

Without a picture of the actual split I'm going to suggest a quality glue in a syringe, I've always used Titebond.

I've fixed more than a few hairlines this way, since I'm assuming you can get to the backside of the split, just insert a flat micro screwdriver into the split just enough to get the needle into it, a drop of glue, wipe off any excess (but there really shouldn't be any),wrap with plastic (to keep tape from damaging finish) and then wrap tightly in blue painters tape to act as a clamp till dry. Depending on how thick the area is, you may be able to use a regular clamp without doing any damage.

This is probably the way most gunsmiths would attack this, but again without a picture or having the forearm in front of me, this is advice that you will have to decide if it is going to work for your specific problem.

If this is an area where a screw hole is, then something else may be required.
    If you need the name of a good smith, PM me and I have a guy that I can recommend that has plenty of experience with high dollar wood.

Good luck.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: crack in shotgun forarm repair?

If the split is very close, you might be able to use thin super glue as a repair. As 39flathead suggested, you should apply the glue to the hidden side of the crack. Thin cyanoacrylate (super glue) will wick into the crack, to the point that, if you're touching the crack on the outside of the forend, it will glue your finger to the wood. You want to be stingy applying the glue - too much and it will show on the visible side.
    If the crack weakens the forend, you could inlet wood perpendicular to it. Simply (on the back side again) ream a channel across the crack with a Dremel tool, then glue one or more wood splints into it, after you've glued the crack. Go slow when you're cutting the groove. Part of the reason forends split is because they're thin.
    Last edited by surbat6; November 10th, 2010 at 12:58 PM.