Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Anyone carry a Glock 27? Opinions on backup gun.

I am looking for a backup gun, or a gun to carry when I want a little more concealment. I currently carry a S&W SD40 IWB in a Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe. I have been considering the Glock 27 as a backup gun because I really don't want to carry 2 full size guns and sometimes I want to carry a gun that is slightly more concealable and I like the G27's compact design.
    Anyone own or carry one and have an opinion?

Anyone have an opinion for a different backup gun?

Thanks guys and gals!
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

Default Re: Anyone carry a Glock 27? Opinions on backup gun.

I have a Glock 27 and like it a lot. I don't carry it.
    They are kind of thick to carry being double stacked. Might want to look at a Kahr CW-40 around $400 NIB. Single stack.

(Philadelphia County)

I carry a Glock 26 which is the 9mm version of the Glock 27. It's my preferred conceal/carry weapon. I barely know it's there compared to full-sized service pistols. I carry a S&W Model 40 as a back-up.

(Cumberland County)

I have a 27 and like it more and more. I carry it as a primary or a back up to an XD.

I just got mine recently, if you do a search you'll turn up a bunch of good threads on it.

Recoil is a factor, but it isn't unmanagable. It will take some practice. The first time I shot it I thought "Holy shit! What did I get myself into?" But now I actually enjoy shooting it.

Capacity is pretty good, especially if you carry a bigger .40 Glock mag for a reload.

I dig it. It is a tad on the thick side, but that shouldn't be suprising, it's a double stack Glock. I don't carry it IWB often, and tried it on my ankle once. Never again.

I'm very happy with mine. It will take a bit of practice to be profecient with it but I wouldn't let that deter you.

Also, you can get a 9mm conversion barrel as well as a .22 conversion kit.

ETA: Here's a good review on a holster for the 27... (Shameless plug )

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/11...on-review.html
    Last edited by rwb1500; November 9th, 2010 at 07:45 PM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

Could it be pocket carried in a pinch with baggy pockets?
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

(York County)

It's my carry gun, and I love it.

GB

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kb! Bob View Post
    Could it be pocket carried in a pinch with baggy pockets?
    In a pinch, yes. You must have large pockets. I've put it in a cargo pocket on occasion, no problem there, except it bounces around.

In a front pocket it would be a little difficult, I've tried with a pocket holster, but it creates a lot of bulk. You could do it without a holster, but I wouldn't do that with one in the chamber.

I actually gave up my pocket gun, a S&W 637 to get this 27. I'm really not upset about it, although the J frame is a great gun. The 27 will disapear under a T shirt OWB and IWB you're not seeing anything. The short grip really aids in concealment, if that's your cup of tea.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    In a pinch, yes. You must have large pockets. I've put it in a cargo pocket on occasion, no problem there, except it bounces around.

In a front pocket it would be a little difficult, I've tried with a pocket holster, but it creates a lot of bulk. You could do it without a holster, but I wouldn't do that with one in the chamber.

I actually gave up my pocket gun, a S&W 637 to get this 27. I'm really not upset about it, although the J frame is a great gun. The 27 will disapear under a T shirt OWB and IWB you're not seeing anything. The short grip really aids in concealment, if that's your cup of tea.

Thats interesting becasue I am, as we speak, deciding bewteen the 26/27 and a snubbie. I pocket a PF9 most of the time (work, kid events, etc) and carry my G19 as much as possible. I think I can get away with IWB'ing the 26/27 basically all the time.
    Saint Michael the Archangel, defend us in battle. Amen. **PROUD III**

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Thanks guys, a lot of good info here. I didn't think about the Glock 26 (the 9mm), but I will also now consider that. I already carry a .40 so I am leaning towards the 27 because of the same caliber and the fact that I can get a conversion barrel for 9mm and .22.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I have a 27 and like it more and more. I carry it as a primary or a back up to an XD.

I just got mine recently, if you do a search you'll turn up a bunch of good threads on it.

Recoil is a factor, but it isn't unmanagable. It will take some practice. The first time I shot it I thought "Holy shit! What did I get myself into?" But now I actually enjoy shooting it.

Capacity is pretty good, especially if you carry a bigger .40 Glock mag for a reload.

I dig it. It is a tad on the thick side, but that shouldn't be suprising, it's a double stack Glock. I don't carry it IWB often, and tried it on my ankle once. Never again.

I'm very happy with mine. It will take a bit of practice to be profecient with it but I wouldn't let that deter you.

Also, you can get a 9mm conversion barrel as well as a .22 conversion kit.

ETA: Here's a good review on a holster for the 27... (Shameless plug )

http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/11...on-review.html
    Thanks rwb.....this is really good info for me. I am not too worried about the double stack because my carry gun now is a double stack (although surprisingly thin for a double stack). I REALLY like the fact that I can get a 9mm conversion barrel and a .22 conversion kit, which could make this cheaper to shoot, and if .40 becomes much more expensive I can easily switch to carrying a 9mm.

Don't worry about the holster plug. I actually really like that holster!
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Lancaster County)

I carry one daily in a Milt Sparks Summer Special iwb holster at the 1230 position. Im on my feet all day and hardly notice its there. I find it a good blend of power and capacity and havent found a more reliable sub compact gun yet.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast