Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Wayne County)

Default Astra A75 - What's a reasonable price?

Hey y'all. I ran across a used Astra A75 in .45 acp today for $289 in pretty good condition. I don't have much knowledge of these at all. Most of the info that I've found on the internet re: price is pretty old. Does anyone know if this is a reasonable price from a dealer?

Most of what I've read about performance shows it as being a nice, inexpensive, carry gun. I'd like to hear some first hand experience, though, from members here.

Also, I'm unfamiliar with the safety features on this pistol. It has a half-cock safety, a decocker and no external safety. How safe would it be to carry this +1 w/ the hammer on half-cock? What internal safeties are there to prevent the hammer (external) from contacting the firing pin?

I may have to run back up near that shop again in a week or so. If the feedback is good, I may try it out.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Default Re: Astra A75 - What's a reasonable price?

First to remember is the gun is no longer produced. That being said, I have an A-80 that has similar features along with the decocker, but no half cock safety. The Spanish police carried these guns for years so they are pretty good. My A 80 still looks close to new with about 4500 total rounds over the last twenty years. I keep the mag loaded all the time and it works fine. Still feeds well with at least the spring in it that was there when I obtained the gun. I carried mine (before it became a couch gun) just like a revolver, DA first shot. Parts for these guns are not the most plentiful. $289 is probably reasonable if you like it for nostalgic reasons as well as carry.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Some say a Sig knock off, I was impressed with the Astra back in the 80s it was a really nice gun it came in 9mm & 45acp it had Sig controls. The only difference was that the mag release was European style near the base of the mag. I didn't like that.

The Upgrade 9/40/45 placed the mag release where it should be but then I heard reliability problems cited. I thought at the time the 10 shot 45acp model was worth a try. Now the 15 shot 9mm was thought to be very reliable. The Astra was a good looking gun reasonable price about the same as the Taurus, I think Taurus warranty was better for some reason I bought Taurus should have took a chance on the Astra 45acp. They never got as popular as Beretta like PT92/101s 9mm/40 cal Taurus.

Gun prices have gone up I'd say used $250-$300 and about $350 for the 45 NIB pending version. They were about $289 - $320 SS back then.
    Last edited by Neko456; July 13th, 2011 at 08:41 AM.

Astra made some nice guns. The ones I see around are under $300. Finding parts gets a little iffy. Have had my eye on a Nice A-60. Best of luck if you buy it.

Well, I had no idea what one looked like, so I found a pic for anyone who reads this thread thinking 'WTH are they talking about?'

The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Wow thats a large gun!
    I usually Google photos of weapons I'm reading about on forums.
    Helps with the visualization when no photos are posted.
    Spanish manufacturer Astra and Star made some nice looking guns IMO.