Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Why is the 1911 still so poplular?

Why is the 1911 still so poplular? 1st let me say i like the 1911 platform I own 3 but I notiiced a non dying attitude about these guns. Even in the light of other guns proving they are superior in reliability. I like them because they seem fast to shoot and accurate. Which makes them fun!!

But in recent article and thread as in a recent one here in IPSC its noted that the 191 has the most failures out all the gun types used. There are a lot of people that buy and find problems with the 1911 they buy. i sometiomes wonder is the 1911 like British MGs and Triumps Tr4/8s part of the joy is working on them? Now after getting my 1911s where I wanted them (replacing factory parts with 3rd party parts except for Kimber still factory) all I do is shoot them with no problems.

But still wonder why people are like me so in love with 1911s. A lot of swat teams and specail service militray still use them. Personally even my KImber wasn't as reliable as my 92sf both new right out of the box.
    Last edited by Neko456; November 8th, 2010 at 01:28 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Why is the 1911 still so poplular?

Familiarity for me. We had beat up, used up, 1911A1s while I was in the Marine Corps. It fits my hand well, easily manipulated fire controls, it just feels right. It's American as John Wayne, and apple pie. It's been there and done that through multiple U.S. wars.
    And .45ACP is a great choice for a self defense round.

Nearly 100 years and still going strong!
    AR accessories - Barbie for men

(Monroe County)

They are tough, fairly reliable, fun to shoot, fit well in your hand, easy to find parts/upgrades/accessories and they're a battle-proven American military gun.

what's NOT to love?
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

I suppose owning a 1911 is something akin to owning a Harley. They're not the most dependable, or the least expensive, but they are an American icon. I have the Harley & I'm sorta' looking for a 1911. Maybe they'll get the bugs worked out of them someday. After all, they've both only been on the market for about 100 yrs.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Bucks County)

100+ years later, it's still the most attractive SA of all, the most shootable, and just an American Icon. It defines freedom to me.
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Wyoming County)

I think its mostly feel. The ergonomics of the 1911 are great. The double stack magazines make most guns a bit thick and a lot of people like the slim 1911s.
    "I quote no authors but God and experience" Principles Osteopathy

(Monroe County)

Ergonomics, accuracy, and probably the best trigger in a carry pistol.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

The manufacturers (both big and small) kept the 1911 alive and tried to improve them.
    Last edited by dkf; November 8th, 2010 at 01:24 PM.

(Lancaster County)

The erconimics and feel while shooting them are impossible to beat. Nothing else feels better in the hand. Plus 45 ACP shoots like a dream out of a 1911.
    P229- 40 S&W

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The manufacturers (both big and small) kept the 1911 alive.
    I would say that the consumers did. The manufacturers wouldn't offer them if
    the didn't sell.

I found both triggers to be terrible to me so the triggers are on a scale to me.. The Glock was a crisper suck and the XD was a more mushy suck. They are in the same family, SR9 (heavy suck), Glock (crisp heavy suck), XD( lighter mushy suck), M&P(heavy mushy suck).

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast