Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt AR's

Default Colt AR's

Are they worth the few hundred extra? difference between pre-ban and post-ban meaning the parts/manufacturing, not the literal definition.... I'm pretty sure theres a huge difference in how/where they are made now compared to how it used to be.... anything certain to look for on the preban models if i'm looking for a good one?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Colt AR's

There is really no difference between pre ban and "no" ban Colt's re: manufacturing standards and quality of parts. In fact, IMHO, the current LE6920 has probably reached the pinnacle of development for a mass produced fighting carbine.

While the pre ban models still retain some collector value, I would not pay the premium for one with the LE6920 currently available.

Another lesser known fact is that there were a VERY few pre ban flat top models that left the Colt factory as complete rifles and they command a significant premium above and beyond the typical pre ban A1/A2 fixed carry handle rifles.

IMO it is shortsighted to even consider purchasing a fixed carry handle rifle when the flat top affords so much more flexibility.

(Centre County)

I think debate over should I pay premium $$$ for 6920 or buy Bushmaster for FAR less is like argueing over Ferrari or Corvette.
    They are both sexy cars. They'll both attract attention from your buddies. one is capable of sustaining 190mph, and other is capable of doing 175mph. One cost over $200000, and other cost $50000. But since almost all highway is regurated to 65mph, does it really matter if one does better on top end?

Way i see it, my Bushmaster lacks certain testing/feature of venerble 6920. But does it really matter? Prolly not.
    We'll never fire our AR15 in Full auto or 3shot burst. We'll never shoot our gun in real war. can you REALLY tell the difference that the fact Colt does magnetic particle test their gun? Or Colt uses the extended M4 feed ramps and Bush don't. My standard feed ramp Bush still feeds hollow point without hitch.
    Colt comes with an H-Buffer, and Bush dont. Makes no difference whatssoever in semi auto shooting. But if you must, you can just get H-Buffer. they are around 50bucks
    My non-mil spec AR 15 have performed flawlessly, rounds after rounds, never skipped beat. Sometimes I keep it wet with oil, sometimes I don't. Sometimes its clean, sometimes its not. I've shot 223, 5.56, made in US, Russia, south african, and some I'm not even sure where its made. Brass, mild steel with laquer. FMJ, HP, SP. they all shoot just as well

But I paid $799 for mine. FAR less then that of Colt
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

i've owned 2 bushmasters and sold them both now.. they just arent for me i dont like the feel of them as much, i will go stag or RRA over bushy for sure.. and you can find a 6920 for $1200 or so; not to bad if you ask me and i'm willing to pay a bit for a name as i feel colt holds their end of the deal up when it comes to that, not every person at the range has one thats for sure...

(Dauphin County)

I have 3 Colts and 2 Bushmasters, both are fine weapons...
    Colt will hold it's value longer and if you have the extra coins get the Colt you won't regret it...
    This is what sold me on the Colt LE 6920 M4, I had to have it...
    And it come with a M-16 bolt carrier...

Last edited by ssom003; November 15th, 2007 at 01:00 AM.

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD45 View Post
    i've owned 2 bushmasters and sold them both now.. they just arent for me i dont like the feel of them as much, i will go stag or RRA over bushy for sure.. and you can find a 6920 for $1200 or so; not to bad if you ask me and i'm willing to pay a bit for a name as i feel colt holds their end of the deal up when it comes to that, not every person at the range has one thats for sure...
    Or you could just go full custom for that price.

LycanunlessyoujustwantanM4gerythrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Allegheny County)

The Colt LE6920 is the finest factory mass-produced AR available to civilians. If you want a carbine for serious use, it is an outstanding choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    We'll never fire our AR15 in Full auto or 3shot burst. We'll never shoot our gun in real war. ...
    Amen.

I have both an M16 clone (reg. NFA) and a Colt HBAR pre-ban. Both are used almost always in semi-auto, there really aren't a lot of places to really open up full auto in the eastern part of PA anymore. Given that I need to dig up the tax stamp everytime the M16 moves, you should be able to guess which one gets more daylight.

Get a nice AR-15 that works for you. All that matters is that you're happy.

(Allegheny County)

Talking Re: Colt AR's

Skip them both and buy a DS Arms FAL in a real man's caliber. LOL

Just breaking your chops.

I have a Bushmaster.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    Skip them both and buy a DS Arms FAL in a real man's caliber. LOL

Just breaking your chops.

I have a Bushmaster.

the ar-10, dpms panther, and the RRA .308 are all on the list to.. I can't figure out what direction i want to go in it's driving me nuts

kind of thinking of an 18 or 20inch 5.56/223 also..

but then theres the left hand stag

or the..... damn it!
    Last edited by XD45; November 16th, 2007 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast