So a week ago I was up at Tanner's in Jamison perusing their selection of Sig556's because my wife has decided she wants one. Fine with me, I never turn down a trip to the gun store. While looking around I stumbled across a used FNP45 for $450. I've been itching for a hi-cap .45 for a while now and I thought the FNP45 would fit the bill, though I've been reticent to buy any new guns because I'm still on the "Great Kel Tec RFB Hunt." I figured the second I spent my RFB money on other toys, I'd get a phone call from my dealer that an RFB arrived. However, seeing as it was such a good deal, I couldn't pass it up -that and my wife said that I would be an idiot if I didn't buy it. So I bought it and thankfully (regretably?) no one is banging down my door with offers of reasonably priced RFBs.

But I digress...

I finally took it out to the range today and spent some time getting to know my new piece of combat tupperware. I gotta say I love this gun. It's a big ole' beast of steel and plastic, but it shoots like a dream.

You would think that a gun this big would be unwieldy, but it's not. It came with two interchangeable backstraps; one arched and one flat. I found that the flat one worked well for me. Even my wife, who has much smaller hands than me, had no problem operating the controls and getting a good, solid grip.

At first I had problems with getting the gun to cycle. I was shooting some 200gr SWC reloads and it wasn't having it at all. I then switched to factory 230gr FMJ and it ate up everything I fed it. I need to get some JHP's and see how it does, but I don't expect there to be any problems.

It's accurate. As in one ragged hole at 15yds accurate. The double action trigger is heavy, but easily managed. Once that first round goes off, it's single action city and I gotta say that's where the gun really surprised me. It's got one of the nicest factory SA triggers I've ever felt on a non-1911 semi-auto. If it was more than 4lbs, I'd be surprised and it just broke so nicely.

Overall I am very pleased with the FNP45. I'm looking forward to putting it through its paces some more in the coming months. Now I just need to find a holster for it.