Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bradford County)

Default Carry gun for a noob shooter

Ever since I joined these forums I have been on my dad about getting a gun to carry. He's never owned a gun, he has no training, but I think he has finally seen the light.

He's 61 years old, and wants something that would be extremely easy to conceal (probably pocket carry).

Obviously the first step is going to be getting him familiar with the gun, teaching him how to clean it, and then moving on to some type of formal training. Equipment wise, what do you all suggest?

I was thinking a S&W 340PD revolver, but I'm really not sure.

Any suggestions?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Carry gun for a noob shooter

I know you mentioned training, so that is good. Just make sure he gets the training. Go to the range with your dad and have him shoot a couple of different guns and see which he is most comfortable with. Then have him shoot a lot. No sense in carrying a gun if you can't hit what you are aiming for.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by Zyler12 View Post
    Ever since I joined these forums I have been on my dad about getting a gun to carry. He's never owned a gun, he has no training, but I think he has finally seen the light.

He's 61 years old, and wants something that would be extremely easy to conceal (probably pocket carry).

Obviously the first step is going to be getting him familiar with the gun, teaching him how to clean it, and then moving on to some type of formal training. Equipment wise, what do you all suggest?

Any suggestions?

(Lancaster County)

I would say anyone of the new pocket .380's would serve him well. Beretta also makes nice little pocket pistols. Training is the key and the best weapon he has sits between his ears.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    I know you mentioned training, so that is good. Just make sure he gets the training. Go to the range with your dad and have him shoot a couple of different guns and see which he is most comfortable with. Then have him shoot a lot. No sense in carrying a gun if you can't hit what you are aiming for.

-Zach
    I agree 100%. See what he likes and is comfortable with. Safety first before carry. Range time with "pops" = memories and good times.

Insight is good for direction but the reality is in the end it will be personal choice.

Enjoy.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Zyler12 View Post
    He's never owned a gun, he has no training...

Any suggestions?
    While a 340PD is a great gun it is extremely difficult to be proficient with. AND, if you touch off a .357 in it it's gonna feel like someone smacked you in the palm with a 2x4. Snub nose revolvers take a great deal of practice to be able to shoot them well. Plus the 340 is extremely light, and has a long double action trigger. All these things make it very difficult to shoot well.

If it must be a gun that is able to be carried in a pocket I'd probably look at some of the Kahrs, or maybe even some of the heavier pocket .380s. While revolvers are easy to learn (operation) they are very difficult to master in short barrel lengths.

Frankly I'd suggest a Glock 26, or something along those lines. Something heavy enough to soak up some recoil, and something that's still fairly easy to shoot and get a grip on. It's almost a universal rule, the bigger and heavier the gun, the easier it is to be proficient with it. Honestly, for a first gun I'd recommend something bigger then a Glock, 26, maybe a 19, or something in that size range, but if concealability is an issue, then you have to compromise.

ETA: If my son bought me a 340PD or something in that price range I'd be ecstatic.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Blair County)

If he's looking for a semiauto I'd try 9mm. For revolvers you might want to consider .38 special. Subcompacts will be the easiest to conceal but can also be the hardest to shoot.

Since it is his first handgun I wouldn't get anything less than a 4" barrel. Something the size of the Glock 'compact' models are a good compromise. Small enough to be concealed, but also large enough to negate some of the recoil.

If you go the .357 Mag route, you can shoot the .38 specials out of it to start and then load the magnum rounds when he's ready.
    "Improvise. Adapt. Overcome."

(Northumberland County)

+1 for a glock 26. its slim enough for a pocket and super easy to conceal with a IWB holster.

(Dauphin County)

I carry an S&W Model 696 44 Special and love it. Small enough to conceal easliy and it shoots extremely "small" for it's size.
    Only problem I have is finding ammo. If you reload your own, not an issue.

(Monroe County)

take him somewhere he can shoot lots of guns. then get him the one he likes and shoots the best.
    ONE TO THE HEAD!!!!

(Luzerne County)

Why is it everyone seems to think a snubbie revolver is so difficult to shoot? I carry a S&W 442 and don't agree with you guys. It is accurate for close encounters which is what it is made for. At 7 yards and closer, anyone who has practiced and knows the gun, should be able to hit their target. IMHO, if you are shooting at a distance farther than 10 yards, it's not a self defense situation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast