Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: can I still have my gun after marrying a convicted felon?

Quote Originally Posted by mildzima View Post
    So, from what I gather so far, My gun needs to be kept in a safe where he can not have access to it at all and if he somehows gets access, than he gets into trouble and not me?! I understand that I have rights to have my gun as well as the responsibility to keep my gun from getting into the wrong hands.

I've never owned a safe but it looks like I need to get one. I just hope if I get an intruder, they will allow me the time to get my gun out before they do something.

Thanks for all the input.
    Depends on the "somehow". The more he has to work at cutting into a safe or searching the house, the less likely criminal charges against you, and the more likely there will be charges against him.

Usually, these things become a problem after the prohibited person has to defend himself, or a neighbor reports seeing a gun in his hand, or a guest (or salesman, or meter reader) reports seeing a gun lying on a table. Or there's a fire, and the firemen or cops find the gun under the bed. Lots of ways to get caught, few of them can be anticipated.

Best bet is to secure the gun thoroughly and advise the felon that messing with it will screw you both. It is a serious crime for him to touch a gun or ammo, even if you're right there. It's not like letting your 5 year old fire a handgun at the range with you there. Guns are like Kryptonite to prohibited persons, there's no safe way for them to ever handle or possess one.

(Lebanon County)

There are small pistol safes that operate with a key, a quick combination, or even read your fingerprints. Many of these can be openned very quickly and take up very little space on a bedside table.

GunLawyer001, would wearing a gun in a holster on her person be considered sufficiently secure during waking hours? I was under the impression that it was, but can't remember any specifics that would support that. Then she could wear it most of the time and place it in a safe at night.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mildzima View Post

I've never owned a safe

Wouldnt this situation already be illegal?

Assuming their married and living together?

Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post
    Wouldnt this situation already be illegal?

Assuming their married and living together?
    Not if she hid it thoroughly, so that neither the felon nor the police can lay their hands on it. It's not about "being caught", either; if nobody else knows where it is, then you not only have a difficult evidentiary problem, it's actually true that he lacks custody and control. Do you "have access" to the million dollars in gold in a chest buried somewhere in your town; or do you have to know it's there, and where it is, for you to have actual access?

Still, a locking safe is pretty much the only rational choice, other than divestiture.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Still, a locking safe is pretty much the only rational choice, other than divestiture.
    Well, there is divorce.

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Well, there is divorce.
    Surprisingly few people would consider the "gun" choice from "it's either me or the gun", to be the rational choice.

Go figure.

(Bucks County)

just out of curiousity why didn't you ask this question prior to getting married???? if for some odd reason like you and your husband were riding in the car together, get stopped by the cops, you are legally carrying but it's determined the gun is accessable to your husband and he's arrested. now he's in a world of trouble eventhough there was no intent for him to ever take possession of the firearm. my recommendation would be to have an attorney that specializes in firearms law answer this question. it might cost you a few hundred bucks but it'll give you correct answers and possibly keep both you and your husband out of jail.

ps. is that you in your avatar??? if so i think your pretty cute

(Lackawanna County)

As long as your husband doesn't have any access to your gun or ammo, ever, you're legal. I'm in a similar situation---I had to buy a safe for my own gun.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Not if she hid it thoroughly,

Since my town keeps their gold under lock and key rather than hidden in a closet in a given building, I do not have access to it.

If they hid it under a bush (or in the sock drawer), then Yes, with a little poking around I would easily have access to it. Something hidden in an easily accessible place (Ie so you can get to it to carry it) would be discoverable easily enough IMO.

I find too often people in situations like this are lacking in the "Rational choice" gene.

(Mercer County)

Here is a nice little safe for $219 and free shipping. The "biometrics" is $100 more which brings the total to $219. It works on fingerprints. Perfect for a quick open intruder type defense. It's small and can be bolted to the floor or whatever. Here is the link:

http://www.nationwidesafes.com/porta...safe-4035.html
    You can't fix stupid....... So I try to ignore Liberals!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast