Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default What exactly is Maverick by Mossberg?

I know its not high end and takes mossberg 500 parts but what exactly are the differences and how well do they work. My heart is set on that 590A1 but this I need to investigate first.

Default Re: What exactly is Maverick by Mossberg?

It is the "cheap" version of the 500 that was originaly made for the box stores.

Cheap pig metal receivers,

Instead of the safety on top of the rec. it has a cheap cross bolt on the trigger guard that blocks the trigger instead of the internals.

The forearm is molded to the action rails instead of being retained by a lock ring. THAT is what always turned me off to them because if you want to change the forearm then you need to change the action rails and slide. So a $20. mod. ends up costing half of what the gun cost!

(Cambria County)

I just looked at one yesterday. The finish was a little rough but the price was real nice. I searched this morning and found that they are assembled in a Texas factory with "some" foreign parts ? The article I read didn't specify what parts. So it sounds to me like the factory could be in a border town getting cheap labor and cheaper parts made over the border but thats just a guess.
    I really want the Mossberg 590 Mariner 9 shot w 20" barrel but I just had to check out the maverick at that price.

I'd love to have a Mossberg Mariner as well but for my purpose of it just being available for a SHTF/HD use, I can't justify spending that kind of money when the Maverick will function just as well.

The H&R/NEF/Remington Pardner Protector is a solid choice as well... it takes 870 parts, much like the maverick takes 500 parts.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(Bucks County)

I have seen a couple of the Maverick guns (all broken) here in the shop-
    It is pretty poorly made- a piece of junk, actually and should be avoided.

(Chester County)

i bought one used for 60 bucks about 8 years ago. The thing was used big time. I still shoot the hell out of it and for as cheap as it is, I cant complain about one thing. Does the job pretty well. I would trust it in home defense situations although i have a 590 pistol grip for that. If your on a budget and you just want a "go to" gun or you just want to blow crap up around the house, get the maverick 88.

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    i bought one used for 60 bucks about 8 years ago. The thing was used big time. I still shoot the hell out of it and for as cheap as it is, I cant complain about one thing. Does the job pretty well. I would trust it in home defense situations although i have a 590 pistol grip for that. If your on a budget and you just want a "go to" gun or you just want to blow crap up around the house, get the maverick 88.
    456 - Thats my finding on this shoutgun almost a 500 with Remy safety for the money its a can't miss. Some friends have 1ks of rounds through them with no hicups. A nice almost Mossberg 500 for less then $200 usually. i've shot them and they shoot and handle just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by littlebr4d View Post
    I can't justify spending that kind of money when the Maverick will function just as well.
    I don't think I'd say that.

I bought one used at a local shop (model 88 w/ 18.5" barrel.) It was the first gun I ever bought and I got hosed pretty much but, you live and learn. Well I shot the hell out of it and it developed this issue where if you are pulling back on the forearm at all when you pull the trigger, the hammer will only drop half way. I still have never figured out exactly what the deal, just how to shoot it so it goes bang every time. I bought a pistol grip for it, just because, but only shot it with it a few times. I put the stock on every time I take it out when we go shoot clays. It's a fun plinker, 12 gauge is relatively cheap.

I think it feels cheap compared to a 500. While they are similar guns, they are not equal.

(Bucks County)

Hertz, your having a problem with the bolt locking up to the barrel. It could be in the trigger group (bolt release) or in the bolt/locking lug itself. Or it could be an issue with your pump arm.

Quote Originally Posted by hertz View Post
    I don't think I'd say that.

I bought one used at a local shop (model 88 w/ 18.5" barrel.) It was the first gun I ever bought and I got hosed pretty much but, you live and learn. Well I shot the hell out of it and it developed this issue where if you are pulling back on the forearm at all when you pull the trigger, the hammer will only drop half way. I still have never figured out exactly what the deal, just how to shoot it so it goes bang every time. I bought a pistol grip for it, just because, but only shot it with it a few times. I put the stock on every time I take it out when we go shoot clays. It's a fun plinker, 12 gauge is relatively cheap.

I think it feels cheap compared to a 500. While they are similar guns, they are not equal.
    Given that the Maverick and the 500 utilize many interchangeable parts, how can you be sure a 500 wouldn't develop the same issue as your Maverick did?

Regardless, I don't intend to shoot it much. Perhaps the problem that developed over many rounds fired in yours wouldn't be an issue with mine. I appreciate your input though. When I have more money to spend I may upgrade as well, but I'd rather have something rather than nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast