Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Why won't my Henry Survival Rifle work?

Big thumbs (both actually) for Henry cust svc.

For those interested - keep an eye on Dick's "Black Friday" sale flyer - they've had base Henry H001 .22 lever guns on sale last 3-4 Black Fridays.

I got an original "Brooklyn NY" H001 for under $200.00 several years ago. Not an "EBR" by any stretch, but a great change of pace at the range.
    All of my guns are lubed with BACON GREASE.

(Franklin County)

That's why I'm buying 'Henry' after the holidays! Or, maybe Santa will be extra good to me this year and leave one under the tree! I started looking at 'Henry Rifles' after getting a lot of lip serves from Ruger on a return for sights that were fixed and sooo far off I could not get a one foot grouping at 30 feet. I PAID for an adjustable sight and a new front sight, about $38.00 they billed me $134.50 for their problem on a pistol sold 3 weeks old. Wish Henry Firearms made pistols! I'm now in the market for a 22 caliber rifle and will not even look at Ruger's. I am going with Henry, starting with their 22 caliber.

(Bucks County)

I finally got around to packing my Henry up and sending it back home for a reunion with its family. I will post updates when I hear back from them or have my rifle back.

-Zach

(Bucks County)

Update:

I had sent my Henry rifle off on a Wednesday. The following Tuesday I had my rifle back at my house. Only the day before did I receive the letter stating that they received the rifle and based off of the UPS tracking they had received the rifle on that Thursday.

Assuming they don't work weekends, they had my rifle for all of 3 days before sending it back. So far I was impressed.

It took me a couple of weeks to get it to the range as my girlfriend was sick. The tag on the box didn't really say much so I wasn't sure if they fixed anything or not.

Finally, I get it to the range and assemble the rifle. I load it and aim and slowly and nervously pull the trigger waiting for the click and light primer strike. To my surprise, it goes off and sends a shot direct center of the X ring.

However, I did get a couple of jams. Particularly fail to feeds and fails to eject. I noticed that the rifle works best with the barrel tightened on not quite as tight as I would think was appropriate. If you over tighten everything jams up. I loosened the barrel up a little and everything ran smooth like it should.

I am not sure if I am going to keep it yet as I really like the peep sights so I guess I will have to keep taking it to the range to find out.

+1 for Henry's customer service!

-Zach

Two of the situations described applied to my AR-7.

Jamming was remedied by cutting a feed ramp. Simple and effective.

More serious was misfiring; it got so it would fire 1-3 cartridges out of a magazine. I fixed that by replacing the hammer spring, ably assisted by a You Tube video. Tricky but actually easy. Pull the trigger first to keep parts from flying around when you remove the side plate.

More annoying was something I have never heard of: a soft spot in the stock. I don’t know why it appeared but it was like soft clay. My warranty was up so I cut it out and filled the hole. The filling fell out, so I am left with a hole. I should have sent it back but the warranty was up. Bad decision from what everybody says.

Oh, well...

(Clearfield County)

Quote Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
    Two of the situations described applied to my AR-7.

Jamming was remedied by cutting a feed ramp. Simple and effective.

More serious was misfiring; it got so it would fire 1-3 cartridges out of a magazine. I fixed that by replacing the hammer spring, ably assisted by a You Tube video. Tricky but actually easy. Pull the trigger first to keep parts from flying around when you remove the side plate.

More annoying was something I have never heard of: a soft spot in the stock. I don’t know why it appeared but it was like soft clay. My warranty was up so I cut it out and filled the hole. The filling fell out, so I am left with a hole. I should have sent it back but the warranty was up. Bad decision from what everybody says.

Oh, well...
    Thread is 9 years old, OP hasn't been on p00fa in a year and a half

I know this is an old thread, but perhaps somebody like me finds it and it is of some value or interest to them...

In my post I mentioned the soft spot appearing in the stock of my Henry AR-7, in the hopes someone knew what caused it. I also wrote Henry. This was Monday. Friday I received a new stock and butt cover in the mail. They didn’t even ask for the old one back.

This confirms for me Henry’s legendary service, and you can bet the next time I’m in the market for a long gun, I’ll check on a Henry first.

My rifle would misfire as much as 5 of 7 times. Light strokes, as others have said. After giving it some thought and looking around on YouTube, I bought a hammer spring. I didn’t see anything wrong when I disassembled it but when I put the new spring in, I realized that the spring has two hooks on it and I realized it was easy for one gets unhooked while assembling it. I guess I didn’t notice it.

It has worked fine ever since.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    Thread is 9 years old, OP hasn't been on p00fa in a year and a half
    But i always come back. :P

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by zachomega View Post
    But i always come back. :P

-Zach
    So Zach, do you still have your Henry? Ill give you a hundred for it.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast