I just purchased a Taurus PT709 Slim (9mm) the other day from a forum member and finally got to the range to test it out.

I am impressed with the fit and finish of this gun for a low cost pocket automatic. The gun is very thin, and carries easy in a cheap nylon IWB holster I have had for years. I barely notice it is there, even the in car with a seatbelt on (the bane of most of my carry guns).

I put 150 rounds through the gun today (100 WWB and 50 Speer Lawman). Out of those 150 rounds, there was one FTF after about 120 rounds that was easily cleared.

The trigger on the 709 is a little odd in that it breaks almost at the limit of it's movement towards the rear. A few times, I thought the gun was not going to fire, you have to pull the trigger so far back. Once I was able to get used to this, however, it became easy to shoot accurately. I found the gun to be reasonably accurate, but not overly so (my CZ 82 is more accurate). The gun shot about an inch below point of aim with both loads tested.

Recoil was snappy, but easily handled. I noticed that I could not ride the safety lever when holding the gun (like I do with my 1911's) or the slide would not lock back (I have seen this before on other guns).

All in all, I like this gun. It would appear to be reliable so far, but we will see after about 500 rounds (the minimum I ever fire before carrying). I would be interested to compare this pistol to the Walther PPS (which I have been wanting for a while). Anyone have both?