Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default Is this gun legal or illegal to buy?

I went to the gun show at Sugermans today and as usual i got there late. Some of you guys may know the one vendors his name is Joe and he's from the new england area. Anyway he is having health problems and he sent someone to run his table for him.

I got to talking to him a bit and he had a shit load of AR's and one of them was a Bushmaster w/ a tlr-1, rails, foregrip and a trijicon for 1100. I asked him why it was so cheap seeing as tho the scope is like 700, the light is a 100, the rails another 100 which leaves the gun for 200. The guy said that someone he has been dealing with for years called him and said I need to sell my guns.

He goes to the shop and sells him 16 guns for 5300, he has asks him why are you selling all of a sudden? The guy said I went to buy a gun and I got denied. Person 1 says So?
    Person 2 says I had a felony when I was 18 (i'm assuming hes in his 40 or 50s now)

Now the way I see it and I could be wrong but the guy who had the felony was in illegal possession of a firearm because the dealer said he's been buying and selling for years.

The guy won't sell me the scope he wants to sell it as a package deal and for that price makes me run away. Can someone shed some light on what the law says? Cause if this guy is selling guns that were illegally obtained I have to report it and I don't want to report some guy I don't know who just trying to make a living.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Is this gun legal or illegal to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    I went to the gun show at Sugermans today and as usual i got there late. Some of you guys may know the one vendors his name is Joe and he's from the new england area. Anyway he is having health problems and he sent someone to run his table for him.

I got to talking to him a bit and he had a shit load of AR's and one of them was a Bushmaster w/ a tlr-1, rails, foregrip and a trijicon for 1100. I asked him why it was so cheap seeing as tho the scope is like 700, the light is a 100, the rails another 100 which leaves the gun for 200. The guy said that someone he has been dealing with for years called him and said I need to sell my guns.

He goes to the shop and sells him 16 guns for 5300, he has asks him why are you selling all of a sudden? The guy said I went to buy a gun and I got denied. Person 1 says So?
    Person 2 says I had a felony when I was 18 (i'm assuming hes in his 40 or 50s now)

Now the way I see it and I could be wrong but the guy who had the felony was in illegal possession of a firearm because the dealer said he's been buying and selling for years.

The guy won't sell me the scope he wants to sell it as a package deal and for that price makes me run away. Can someone shed some light on what the law says? Cause if this guy is selling guns that were illegally obtained I have to report it and I don't want to report some guy I don't know who just trying to make a living.
    1. Report what? Do you have "evidence", or just a story that a third party told (hearsay)?

2. Not all felonies are prohibiting (and some crimes that are misdemeanors ARE prohibiting).

3. The guns aren't stolen. Wherever the dishonesty or mix up, they were purchased, then sold, and are now for sale again. IMO, they are not "contraband".

If you were to become prohibited tomorrow, there are provisions for you to legally dispose of your firearms to comply with your new legal disability. Those guns do not become "tainted" and doomed to never be used/bought/sold again.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Centre County)

If the "prohibited" person sold them to a valid FFL or even to a person that was not prohibited, he has complied with the law and there is nothing wrong with that. As said, just because they previously belonged to someone else, as long as they are not stolen, the guns can be bought and sold just like any other. Now what I would be worried about for that low a price, is that the accessories are forgeries.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    If the "prohibited" person sold them to a valid FFL or even to a person that was not prohibited, he has complied with the law and there is nothing wrong with that. As said, just because they previously belonged to someone else, as long as they are not stolen, the guns can be bought and sold just like any other. Now what I would be worried about for that low a price, is that the accessories are forgeries.
    This is how I see it.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

if you had a brain in your head you would have bought the rifle for 1100, took the scope off and sold the rifle, rail and light for 700. that way you would have got the scope for free and someone else would have got a nice rifle for 700 plus you would have pocketed 200 bucks. a few years back i bought a colt 6920 that was 99% or better and came with eotech scope and 100 rd beta c drun for 1200 bucks. i sold the rifle for 1200 bucks so i got the eotech and drum for free saving aboutn 500 bucks.

Go back today and buy it and then sell me the rifle for $200

BTW, since we both know you are talking about Joe Ammo his guys story is BS (about Joe being ill) .... he is set up at the Oaks show

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Go back today and buy it and then sell me the rifle for $200

BTW, since we both know you are talking about Joe Ammo his guys story is BS (about Joe being ill) .... he is set up at the Oaks show

He backed out of Oaks! Seems he has a bunch of rifles to sell and sence his FFL is addressed in New Hamp. and none of the dealers at Oaks would handle his "transfers" he decided to hang at sugerland!

(Montgomery County)

I have a pretty big issue with your fundamental lack of understanding and critical thinking. There is no law that I am aware of that requires anyone in America to "report" anything to the authorities. How did you become so indoctrinated by our Governing bodies to believe that you have some duty or requirement to "report."

Why is it that you entirely believe a story told by a sales person at a Gun Show that sounds like a tall tale? It is clear that these two shortcomings are indeed complimentary to each other.

I strongly advise you to spend some serious time and money studying/reading about legal principles in America. While you are at it read up on some of the "Classics" from writers like Shakespeare, Voltaire and Vonnegut (well Vonnegut is a recent classic and dear to my heart). You have a civic duty to be the best citizen you can be because you (most likely) participate in a democratic style government.

Last, and of course not least, everything has a price. If something appears to be too good to be true, it is. Market forces drive prices. Do you really think you were the first person to see that particular device for sale? Why do you think it was still for sale at the time you viewed it? Is it what it appears to be? The only free cheese is in a mouse trap.

Without seeing the merchandise you describe, and based only on an in absentia analysis I can tell you that the "trijicon scope" is a fake. This is the reason why the seller would not sell it separate from the rifle. If you were to complain, he could justify it by saying that you bought the rifle, and that it is worth that much.

Your fellow forum member had some fun with a fake Trijicon scope:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/optics-46/106...ml#post1280030

If you want an ACOG, buy one from a reputable dealer. If you want something that costs quite a bit less and looks similar, buy a knock off.
    Last edited by Steve_NEPhila; November 7th, 2010 at 11:15 AM.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    1. Report what? Do you have "evidence", or just a story that a third party told (hearsay)?

2. Not all felonies are prohibiting (and some crimes that are misdemeanors ARE prohibiting).

3. The guns aren't stolen. Wherever the dishonesty or mix up, they were purchased, then sold, and are now for sale again. IMO, they are not "contraband".

If you were to become prohibited tomorrow, there are provisions for you to legally dispose of your firearms to comply with your new legal disability. Those guns do not become "tainted" and doomed to never be used/bought/sold again.
    i understand that lets say for example...

I have bought all of my guns in 2008. If I become prohibited in 2009 I can go and legally sell my guns to an FFL.

My concern is lets say I become prohibited 1/1/2008 and i started buying guns after that date...they don't become "tainted"? Common sense says if your not aloud to legally own whatever after that date and you do....nothing happens when you alert the feds after your background check goes through?

(Montgomery County)

i understand that lets say for example...

I have bought all of my guns in 2008. If I become prohibited in 2009 I can go and legally sell my guns to an FFL.

My concern is lets say I become prohibited 1/1/2008 and i started buying guns after that date...they don't become "tainted"? Common sense says if your not aloud to legally own whatever after that date and you do....nothing happens when you alert the feds after your background check goes through?
    Let me help you a little bit here. If you become a "prohibited person" the court will grant you time to transfer/dispose of your firearms. Yes, you can transfer them to your dad, or sell them to an FFL or to private parties through an FFL. Usually the court will demand proof of sale or transfer. (in the case of transferring to you Dad, a statement would be just fine if the judge knows the law)

Pennsylvania does not participate in the NICS system, they have their own PICS (Pennsylvania Instant Check System). You are not alerting the "feds" when you submit to a PICS check. The proposed seller could alert the ATF if they decide to do so and have reason to do so.

Lastly, it is "allowed" not "aloud." Allowed as in permitted, from the root "allow." Aloud is to audible, able to be heard.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast