Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default [PAFOA Blog] Pennsylvania seeks to standardize firearm permit process

Pennsylvania seeks to standardize firearm permit process

According to several Pennsylvania news sources,* The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency (PCCD) is pushing for the standardization of the Pennsylvania “License to Carry Firearms”. Through additional research, PAFOA was able to determine that the PCCD is looking to begin a broader initiative to fulfill a state legislated mandate whereby The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime & Delinquency (PCCD) is required by PA Legislative Act 2005-66 to develop and deploy a statewide “modernized and standardized” license to carry system. In an active attempt to meet the state mandate, on December 21, 2009, the PCCD* made available up to $1,000,000 in grants for upgrades to computer hardware, software and peripherals which will enable the each of the 67 counties in Pennsylvania to issue permits by a standard means. The grant available provides $15,000 to any approved agency to perform the upgrades. The deadline for* application for the funds is January 26, 2010 and the terms of the program run from April 1, 2010 through March 31, 2011.

The goal of the License to Carry (LTC) program is to provide a statewide system to provide a standardized method of completing the application, submitting the information to PSP, obtaining confirmation of a successful transaction with PSP, and issuing the identification card for those individuals seeking a license to carry a firearm.

(source: License to Carry Standardization and Modernization, https://www.pccdegmis.state.pa.us/pc...uncements.aspx)
    PA Legislative Act 2005-66 added section (h)(2) to 18 Pa.C.S. § 6109.

The Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall implement, within five years of the effective date of this paragraph, a system in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State Police and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs’ Association to standardize and modernize the process of issuing licenses to carry firearms. Upon implementation of the system under this paragraph, the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency shall publish notice thereof in the Pennsylvania Bulletin.
    Deputy Sheriff’s Training Bulletin on the new License to Carry system (Search for: Deputy Sheriff Training Bulletin 89 July 2009.pdf)

This article, Pennsylvania seeks to standardize firearm permit process, is from the Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association Blog & Online Magazine.

Read the full article...

(Washington County)

Default Re: [PAFOA Blog] Pennsylvania seeks to standardize firearm permit process

Just a thought. We can save millions in taxpayer monies, which last I checked, we were not in excess of, by adopting the same system that Alaska and Vermont have, and that Arizona is currently trying to implement. That system acknowledges that the constitution, whether it be the Bill of Rights to the Constitution of the United States, or the Commonwealth of PA's Constitution, is the only document needed to carry a firearm, concealed or otherwise.
    Last edited by Azzy; January 24th, 2010 at 10:02 PM.

(Centre County)

Default Re: [PAFOA Blog] Pennsylvania seeks to standardize firearm permit process

Quote Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
    Just a thought. We can save millions in taxpayer monies, which last I checked, we were not in excess of, by adopting the same system that Alaska and Vermont have, and that Arizona is currently trying to implement. That system acknowledges that the constitution, whether it be the Bill of Rights to the Constitution of the United States, or the Commonwealth of PA's Constitution, is the only document needed to carry a firearm, concealed or otherwise.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    As my alarm goes off and I wake up, a dream I was having slowly fades from memory......something about saving taxpayer dollars AND acknowledging my rights.

TheF00L....Go back to sleep.....recapture that beautiful dream.

Michigan did that a few years back, it's now called REGISTRATION, they removed the requirement for a 'safety inspection' at the local PD, which was a joke anyway, and replaced it with a computer database maintained by state police.

Just watch for hidden addenda.

If God didn't intend us to have guns why would he have given us a trigger finger?

(Berks County)

I don't like this. The more I think about it the more I realize we as citizens are condoning the trampling of a federally reconized right. PA should compare crime statistics with AK or VT and then just drop the hole game.

Save money, lives, time, effort...

(Monroe County)

I don't like where this is headed..........

"Just take the fruit.....go on, take it....why can't you have it?....you should.....convince your mate that the fruit is good also........."

(Franklin County)

If the new "uniform" process is anything like the current "uniform" process, this is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. How about some due process for citizens (before the fact) and criminal penalties for Sheriff's who ignore the current "uniform" process mandated by statute.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Mercer County)

Anytime a bureaucrat tries to "standardize" or "streamline" a process, we should all be very afraid.
    Nine out of ten moderators approve of this post!

(Lackawanna County)

I actually don't like the idea of taking VT idea for concealed carry, for the simple reason being that they don't issue permits. If all states had VT's law, it would be ok. But, if PA stops issuing permits and allows concealed carry without one.... what happens to my reciprocity if I have to go out of state?

(Washington County)

The option stands that you can get a non-resident Florida permit, which you need nothing more than a hunter safety course to apply for

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast