Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Hunting cabin or hunting local? (opening day of buck)

I just answered a different thread and I gave my answer so I wondered? What did you do 20 years ago is it the same or has the hunting changed for you. I love playing cards and hunting in the cabin setting. But I only hunt small game and turkey upstate anymore and it is only once a year. Here is how it has changed for me in the past 19 years.

Year 1987 ----------------------- Year 2010
    1. .35 marlin ----------------- 1. 20 gauge slug
    2. Hunting coat XL ----------- 2. Hunting coat 2XL
    3. 11-12 hours round trip ---- 3. 40 minutes
    4. 10-15 in camp ------------- 4. Me and my son
    5. Buck only ------------------ 5. Buck and doe legal at the same time
    6. Had to take off of ----------6. Re-arrange work schedule
    school.
    7. Came home to brag --------7. Come home write a E-mail, make a post on the
    to my friends. -------------------- PAFOA, Call dad (he still doesn't have a PC),
    (hopefully) ---- ------- ------------ post a journal entry if successful.
    8. Go into town to make ----- 8. Text, or call from tree stand to tell hunting
    phone call. ------------------------buddy what you just shot. Call family members
    -------------------------------------in tree stand of successful hunt.
    Last edited by A-5; November 5th, 2010 at 09:49 PM.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: Hunting cabin or hunting local? (opening day of buck)

I used to drive two hours each way. The last four years I stay at my Hunting Cabin up in Mt. Pocono. You've probably seen it. It's right off the main drag. There's a big sign out front that says "Comfort Inn". Sometimes, if my points are high enough , they give me a suite. That sure is sweet, when it happens. On those times when I don't get a suite, I tell the wife and everybody else I "had to rough it this year".

Very few folks know were my cabin is, and everybody keeps pushing me to let them come up with me. Or, they try to talk me into letting them use it when I'm not there. None of you folks are going to spill the beans, right?

Default Re: Hunting cabin or hunting local? (opening day of buck)

My "opening day" will be in NY this year, followed by two days of bear hunting in PA. I will then be traveling to meet a buddy and his dad for PA opening day.
    Jules

(Monroe County)

I won't go out on opening day... to many one day a year sharp shooters for my taste
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Somerset County)

Using your baseline of 1987 and 2010, I:

1) Walked out the back door of my parents farmhouse. Now I drive 3 hours to get there but I still walk out the back door of my parents farmhouse.

2) Camp (with 5-6 relatives) was about a mile down the road. Now, it's me, my son, my dad and a buddy (who lost his camp, but lives nearby) at the farmhouse.

3) Ruger 77 (270) and a Savage 99 (358) Now its the same plus a SS/syn 7mm-08 for crappy weather. And the son has a 30-06.

4) Called buddies in the evening to see how they had done. Now I will call buddies in the evening to see how they did. I just got my first cell phone this spring and I ain't taking the damn thing to the woods!

Dale

(Monroe County)

and in regards to your comparison...

here is how it would play out if I was going:

1992 --------------------------------------- 2010
    Load up on parents back porch - drive 45 mins
    Find comfy spot to sit --------------- walk far enough in that I don't see anyone
    Shoot deer by 10 am --------------- spend week waiting to see a deer
    Take deer to butcher ---------------- Wait to see deer
    Go to school on Tuesday ------------ still waiting to see deer
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

Some guys are new here so I will bring back a thread I thought would be pretty cool.Compare yourself 10-20 years ago, read my first thread and do your comparison.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

(Lebanon County)

Super Topic:

I look forward to deer camp every year. I don't hunt the Grey Ghost these days, not because I can't. It is because I choose not to.

My .270 has not seen a December morning for 15+ years. WHY ????? I do not have the foggiest idea why.

I still show up at deer camp on the Friday prior to the opening of buck season and stay until mid afternoon on Monday. After 50 years our numbers are dwindling, but to stay together this long, is quite a tribute.

That weekend is SPECIAL, hearing the stories of the hunts over the years. We have all talked about that buck we harvested, hundreds of times and the shirt tails hanging up on the 'Missed One Trophy Wall '. Actually my plaid Woolrich shirt is but a BRA from my personal misses.

Those darn deer are made of Swiss Cheese---Damn bullet went straight through----Nobody misses at 15 yards---Yeah ! Right !

I will be there for the opener---Gotta' hear them stories again'---TIMELESS.

fossil
    Last edited by ImAfossil; June 11th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Bucks County)

Good Thread.

I grew up going to our cabin and couldn't wait for my 12th birthday! Opening day was a day off 'cept I went to a Catholic School so I was a sick day for me!

One whole day w/ all 2nd had stuff, passed down long johns, Pappy's older Woolrich Suit, almost worn out hard sole felt shoes stuffed into almost worn out slush boots and carrying Pappy's old KAR '98 Mauser [Erffort 1915] in 8mm.

Time to learn that what happens at camp STAYS at camp as I learned that dad DID use that one cuss word I never heard at home!

The cabin was just one room and I didn't rate a spot on one of the bunk beds, just one of the roll a ways that got unfolded after we pushed the table up against the sink. That's how we fit 12 guys in a 16 X 18 cabin.

Not sleeping while the head lights of all the hunters driving up from Phila flashed around the room all night.

Feeling lost in the shuffle of Butts & Elbows as the guys all worked together to eat, pack lunch, use the privy and get dressed at 04:30.

Pile into the open back of Dad's '53 Chevy pickup [only Pappy got to ride in the cab w/ dad] and crossing my fingers as dad rolled it down the drive way hopeing it would start without the rest of us pushing.

Riding back the old CCC dirt road and walking into the woods w/ dad & pappy as everyone else headed out to their stands.

After we dropped Pap at his spot dad walked me a short distance away and pointed . 'Walk that way and in about a block you will see a huge rock. SIT ON IT AND DON'T LEAVE!"

Spent most of the rest of the day watching heards of doe run all around. As hard as I could stare, none of them grew antlers.

'Bout the time my feet lost all feeling, Dad showed up and told me to walk with him as he circled around all the guys stands hoping to move something they could shoot. I saw just enough to want to come back that Saturday!

I still go to camp. We added a bedroom in '74 and slowly the guys all dwindled. The 'best' group helped build the bedroom and their kids all tried hunting.

Now I am alone -or- dad's best bud [he will be 83 this season] comes up for a few days and maybe my cousin; the only other 'kid' who stuck it out, if he doesn't get something during bow.

I'm alone for flintlock.

The DCNR gated the old CCC road and there are only a hand full w/ 4x4 that still brave the rutted and muddy mess. The state hasn't graded the road in 40 years.

I average a deer every other year since Dad passed away in 2005; I use his rifle 'cause it was his favorite. It is my way of saying thanks.

I really miss watching al the doe run around and it hurts to hunt 11 - 15 days and see no deer [this year was one of the off ones!]

I cover a lot more of the SFL hoping to find a deer who still has the genes to move in daylight instead of at night!

(Berks County)

20 years ago first day (my first year hunting at age 12): At my uncles leased cabin in the "northwoods" which is now part of WMU 2G. Rifle was a hand me down Rem 700BDL '06. Stand was a large rock on the mountainside that I was sat down on with my uncle. Deer were quite plentiful and I took an 8" spikey at around 10:30AM.

Today: Havent been to the "northwoods" for deer in at least 12 years after several seasons of not seeing a deer. My uncles camp lease is long gone but I have been to another camp in Lycoming for a few bear and fall turkey seasons though. Do my deer hunting mostly with a bow and now a crossbow here in Dauphin county or Berks county. Have MANY more rifles including the 700 I took my first deer with although I didn't even have an unfilled tag left come rifle season for several years, until last year when I harvested 2 large doe the same day in the 5C zone with a slug gun.

Great thread really made me think of how much it's all changed in the 20 years I've been hunting!

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast