Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default kel tec pf-9?????

would u carry a pf-9 to protect your life or are they known for jams....
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing

Default Re: kel tec pf-9?????

Quote Originally Posted by pitbulls&guns View Post
    would u carry a pf-9 to protect your life or are they known for jams....
    I don't own one, but from what I've heard they seem to be decent, cheap little pistols. Personally, I would carry one if I was satisfied with how it performed during break-in.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Schuylkill County)

I own and carry a PF9 every day. I have not had one FTF, FTE or any issues with it whatsoever. I currently have about 750 rounds through it as well. Then again, I take very good care of my firearms and regularly clean and inspect them thoroughly.

(Montgomery County)

comon cleanings half the fun of owning em..
    i found one for around 229 new from cdnn sports inc comes with 1 7rd mag sound alright??
    All That Is Necessary for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

I own a pf-9 and they're great little guns. The first generations needed updating from keltec, but if your buying NEW your buying a perfect little pistol. and 229 is great, the best pricing ive found in the local 10 gunshops in bucks/phila is 259 for it - thats with the standard 7 round mag, box, etc.. sounds like a good deal.

I used to own a PF9, and carried it every time I needed a "deep concealment" gun. I gave it to my daughter to carry, so that should tell you how much confidence I have in it. I fired it on a regular basis while it was in my possession to make sure I was reasonably proficient with it, and that it continued to function as expected.

A gun is not measured by how much one pays for it. It is measured by how reliable it is. Just because someone else has one that is or is not reliable is not a true measure of a gun. Now, if 100 people all report the same issue, and it is not fixable, or avoidable with proper care, then you should take note of that and look somewhere else. But a lot of people love to hate guns that don't cost a lot. Any gun can malfunction. It is up to the user to know what to do when that happens.

(Northampton County)

I suggest reading through this thread:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/11...im-page-3.html

Specifically post #26. From my personal experience I would avoid the PF9, but there are plenty of satisfied PF9 owners out there.

(Lancaster County)

Smile Re: kel tec pf-9?????

keltec PF9 is a great little 9mm. not much bigger that some of the lower powered 380's on the market today. it is a great concealed carry gun - in the belt, on the belt on in pocket carry . sure it smarts when you shoot hollow point +P's but after the break in period it should be just fine and if you would have to use it for self defense one would not notice the slap on your gun hand on firing the hot 9mm's. fwiw

(Lehigh County)

I actually have mine in my pocket right now. It's a good little gun for what it is. The trigger leaves much to be desired, and the finish isn't all that great (but for the price it's plenty acceptable). Mine has been fairly reliable. I had an issue when the external extractor screw loosened causing FTE/FTF problems at around 300 rounds (would FTE every other round). It also doesn't like anything with a "long" bullet (IE: WWB). It will occasionally still FTE the final round when running the mag dry (which doesn't bother me for carry because I only carry it when I'm extremely limited and only carry the mag in gun). I'm still not sure if I'm going to keep it. I'm thinking of doing a "fluff and buff" or sending it back to keltec to see what they have to say (or maybe just sell it).

The gun is plenty accurate, but not easy to shoot accurately. The trigger has way too much over travel. It has a nice kick, but it's manageable. Some rubber (houge jr.) on the grip makes it much better.

(Lehigh County)

I'll offer what is apparently the only dissenting opinion on the PF9 after owning one and selling it back to the store I bought it at.

Price, size, concealability, they were selling points. I was looking for a cheap carry gun to fill the void of not having a carry gun while saving up for an HK. The gun had several issues right off the bat. The slide release was inoperable with one hand. In order to close the slide you needed to pull the slide backward and push the release down, then let the slide close. Compared to even the first gen S&W Sigma, that sort of slide release is totally unacceptable.

Second issue was the magazines. In order to insert a magazine I had to press the mag release while pushing the magazine into the gun. A search on Kel-Tec's forum told me to remedy this problem you needed to file a sharp edge on the magazines wall where it contacts the magazine release. After altering the magazine, I was able to insert them without having to press the mag release.

Third issue was light primer strikes. The firing pin would lightly tap the primer, hard enough to make it go off but not hard enough to leave a nice dent. I tried everything that was recommended on Kel-Tec's forums from cleaning and lubing to deburring the firing pin hole. Nothing helped.

With these issues the gun still shot okay for the first 200 or so rounds then it developed a problem with failures to chamber. It would fire, eject without issue, then it would strip the next round off the mag unevenly. I was getting rounds jammed on the feed ramp, rounds point straight up out of the slide, every which way but in the chamber. I could clear the action and chamber a new round that would fire fine, but would have the same problem happen when stripping the next round.

I decided enough was enough. If I had to fix problems from Kel-Tec in order for the gun to function with any hint of reliability then I wanted nothing to do with it. I guess any manufacturer could have problems with an item. I guess Kel-Tec's quality control failed to catch this one. Still, even without the failing to chamber issue I wouldnt recommend this gun to anyone just based on its lack of functionality.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast