Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Got ideas for an AR?

I like my YHM Light Weight Quad rail FFT. I would recommend it over nearly any drop in. You can spend some pretty big money on FFT's with rails though. Do your homework and always look at the WEIGHT.

I agree with Mythaeus on almost everything he said except for the stock. I would get at least the CTR (Which cinches down tight) and not the MOE stock. It gives a non-adjustable feel to an adjustable stock. IE: Not a rattling pofs. It's worth the extra $. (If you decide to get magpul gear, which I do personally also recommend.)

Troy also makes some nice stuff, as does Daniel Defense... but open your wallet and bend over.

(Lackawanna County)

got a lot of good responses so far, thank you.

I guess I just dont fully understand the difference between the free floated quads and the drop ins, anyone mind taking another stab at explaining? maybe pics of the difference?
    Millions for defense, Not one cent for tribute!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post

I guess I just dont fully understand the difference between the free floated quads and the drop ins, anyone mind taking another stab at explaining? maybe pics of the difference?
    FF supposedly allows for better accuracy as the handguards do not touch the barrel. I usually just shoot between 100-200 yards and I haven't noticed any difference between the two types affecting accuracy. If you're shooting around 500-1,000 yards then I'd say get a FF, but close range they are not needed.

(Luzerne County)

About Free Floated barrels. You have to be careful about what some manufacturers call "free float". Daniel Defense Omega rail is an example - for all its merits - of a free float rail that doesn't really FF.
    Free floated barrels are meant to relieve sideways pressure on the barrel when a sling is attached. If the standard sight block is used and a sling attached, then, regardless of whatever else has been floated, the sling is still pulling on the barrel.
    Check the difference between this from Rock River Arms - a true FF tube/handguard;
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=9..._BARREL_SLEEVE

And this:
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=6...ail_9_0__Black

You can see the difference. There is no sling attachment.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Monroe County)

free float also gives that nice monolithic seamless look. Love it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I agree with Mythaeus on almost everything he said except for the stock. I would get at least the CTR (Which cinches down tight) and not the MOE stock. It gives a non-adjustable feel to an adjustable stock. IE: Not a rattling pofs. It's worth the extra $. (If you decide to get magpul gear, which I do personally also recommend.)

Troy also makes some nice stuff, as does Daniel Defense... but open your wallet and bend over.
    Thanks for chiming in the the CTR vs. MOE. Spending the extra money is worth it for the stock, I agree. If spending $100 on a stock, I would consider spending $130 an an ACS.

Troy prices are much more tolerable than DD.

Quote Originally Posted by YllwFvr View Post

Others explained the differences in function, but don't forget the added difficulty of installing a FF handguard. You will need to essentially disassemble the upper (removing the flash hider, then front sight base, barrel nut, gas tube if you want to reuse it in a low profile gas block). An upper receiver vise block, barrel nut wrench, roll pin punches. A good multi tool AR wrench is recommended since you can use it for the lower if needed. Depending on what FF you get, you may need to get the required proprietary barrel nut wrench and a torque wrench for installation.

Drop in? Takes about 10 seconds...but what's the fun in that?

Al

I have to ask, why a two-stage match trigger on a 16" carbine? It seems like overkill.

On the other hand, it does give some flexibility if he wanted to longer ranges w/ a magnified optic.

(Indiana County)

Get a copy of the Brownells AR (wishbook) catalog.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4.../AR_15_Catalog

Pretty much everything in it is going to be a quality item, this will give you an idea of what brands are decent and what brands are not. If they don't carry it, it is probably not worth having.

As for their prices, their retail is high IMO, so unless you have a dealer/gunsmith friend that will get you stuff at the discounted dealer cost or with a small markup, just use the catalog as a guide and then go off onto the net looking for the best price.

I'll add a few comments of my own, unless you are going for the heavy barrel match grade type of shooting, a free floater is really not going to do anything for you. So unless you are going to be shooting match or just can't live without the free float look, I'd save the money from a FF and just go with a drop in Qrail if thats what you're into.

Hogue grip is a must IMO, I've yet to find a plastic grip that I liked, especially if you plan on not being only a fair weather shooter. The Hogue is the cats ass in the rain.

Forward grips are to tacticool for my tastes, they look silly and toy like on an AR. There is a hand guard and sling for a reason, and the mag well serves as a perfectly adequate hand hold as well. Unless one is into busting down doors for a living, forward grips are another waste of money IMO.
    One of the reasons I think so many guys go with a forward grip is that after they load 20 lbs of flashlights, lasers, optics and sights onto their Qrail, they have to have some way to properly fire their JC Whitney special.
    Add to the fact that putting on most rail protectors to keep from ripping your hand open on the rail is also going to add more girth to the rail, turning it into something only a pro basketball player could get his hand around, a forward grip is the only option left if you actually plan on shooting the gun.
    I'd stay with the ladder type protectors, they don't add to the circumference of the rail.
    But to each his own, if you like them, it's your rifle.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ARs, you'll find millions of different configurations and millions of different opinions.

Last edited by 39flathead; November 7th, 2010 at 11:37 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Get a copy of the Brownells AR (wishbook) catalog.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/sid=4.../AR_15_Catalog

Pretty much everything in it is going to be a quality item, this will give you an idea of what brands are decent and what brands are not. If they don't carry it, it is probably not worth having.

As for their prices, their retail is high IMO, so unless you have a dealer/gunsmith friend that will get you stuff at the discounted dealer cost or with a small markup, just use the catalog as a guide and then go off onto the net looking for the best price.

I'll add a few comments of my own, unless you are going for the heavy barrel match grade type of shooting, a free floater is really not going to do anything for you. So unless you are going to be shooting match or just can't live without the free float look, I'd save the money from a FF and just go with a drop in Qrail if thats what you're into.

Hogue grip is a must IMO, I've yet to find a plastic grip that I liked, especially if you plan on not being only a fair weather shooter. The Hogue is the cats ass in the rain.

Forward grips are to tacticool for my tastes, they look silly and toy like on an AR. There is a hand guard and sling for a reason, and the mag well serves as a perfectly adequate hand hold as well. Unless one is into busting down doors for a living, forward grips are another waste of money IMO.
    One of the reasons I think so many guys go with a forward grip is that after they load 20 lbs of flashlights, lasers, optics and sights onto their Qrail, they have to have some way to properly fire their JC Whitney special.
    Add to the fact that putting on most rail protectors to keep from ripping your hand open on the rail is also going to add more girth to the rail, turning it into something only a pro basketball player could get his hand around, a forward grip is the only option left if you actually plan on shooting the gun.

I'd stay with the ladder type protectors, they don't add to the circumference of the rail.
    But to each his own, if you like them, it's your rifle.

Welcome to the wonderful world of ARs, you'll find millions of different configurations and millions of different opinions.

I like the way your AR looks and I think you made a valid point with the necessity of the quadrail in terms of practicality. However, I think you're over exagerated the overloading "20lbs" of tacticool attachments and use of the quadrails criticism, especially you already have what looks like "19lbs" of optics and light on yours.

I find that most people rarely mount a laser on their ARs. This is because lasers don't work well at the distance that you want to use for AR. Not only the dots are not focused, you can't spot it at long distance.

This is the first time I heard about using quadrail for breaking down doors. I don't know how others you know plan on using their quadrails, but that's definitely NOT the reason for me and everyone I know who owns an AR to install quadrails. The girth of a standard handguard is actually just as thick as or thicker than quad rails with rail covers. Many people use ladder rail covers, which fit flush. Ladders on something like a Daniel Defense or Troy make them actually thinner than standard handguards. Regardless, when shooting, you support and grip the bottom and sides of the handguard, not trying get your hand wrapped all the way around so that the tip of your fingers touch the tip of your thumb. The differences in the girth of the handguards is insignificant.

Besides a red dot/optic, a light, some people find a vertical foregrip on their ARs for ease of handling. That's pretty much the only other attachment that most people will add onto their ARs, beside possibly a bipod that can quickly be detached. I personally don't like neither of these. Practicality-wise, adding one of those rails onto the bottom of the plastic handguard is possible to allow for these attachment.

What this essentially comes down is the overall look and options for WHERE to mount your accessories easily. As Chemical mentioned, FF quad looks better with the seamless near monolithic overall look. Having a quad rail allows for you to mount your optics, especially red dots much more forward, beyond the upper's rails should that work better for you. You can attach lights to the left, right without a 45-degree angle mount.

While not completely necessary, quadrails are nice to have to give AR owners more options with mounting their accessories. It's misleading to think though that it adds any more girth, or make every AR owner over attach them with unnecessary accessories just to be "cool".

Al

(Allegheny County)

I like the rails, and don't like the rails. I have a K.I.S.S. 16" AR with a LW barrel and MOE handguard with Magpuls polymer rail attachment for a light (at 45*) which is about perfect. And the thing weighs maybe 7#'s loaded. If it had a FFT with rails and panels - add a # or so. At which point my wooden stocked AK loaded is now lighter, and probably better balanced.

On the AR pistol I built I have the YHM LW QR FFT. And it sure as hell makes putting things on it easier should I choose to. However on that one the idea was to keep it light anyway and I just put on flush Troy covers. (And with the 7.5" barrel normal handguards are not possible.) Honestly I could have went for a normal round FFT, but I needed a top rail to put a front sight on.

If I could get a carbon FFT with a same plane top rail I think my life would be about complete on that gun. (I realize that one company makes something like that, but it's also $300.) But then I'd still be ass out for a forward sling attachment.

But there is utility in rails. The ability to put anything, wherever you want. Add a rail type things don't always put accessories in reach of where your hand naturally sits - but a seamless rail allows for a near infinite amount of adjustment, letting you tailor the position of things perfectly for you.

The sacrifice is of course weight. (Cost, and difficulty of installation.)

Range toys can be whatever. Load them up and get a padded sling for it if you are after that swiss army gun concept where everything including your car keys, and ipod are mounted on your weapon. But for anyone that might ever consider lugging the damn thing through the woods - I assure you. Every ounce matters.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast