Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Harrington & Richardson 999 .22 Revolver

My Dad has an old Harrington & Richardson 999 .22 Revolver he inherited when my Uncle Johnny passed away over 13 years ago. I have fired this revolver a few times and I didn't think it was a bad weapon for what some considered a "low-cost" revolver if not an outright SNS.

How old would this weapon be and what do others on the PAFOA forum think of it and other H&R products?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Harrington & Richardson 999 .22 Revolver

It is a good, classic revolver and should be treated as such. A serial number would definitely help narrow down the production year.

(Jefferson County)

We need a serial number to date the gun.

Value will vary depending on condition. We would need pics, and detailed description of what "fixes" were made.

As for H&R, I am a total fan and collector of H&R guns. I use them for target and hunting. I'm not gonna even bother counting the number of H&R/NEF shotguns and rifles I have - I can tell you that you'd need both hands and a foot or two to count them. I also have a 999 Sportsman with a "B" in its serial number, which would make it a 1941 production gun. I bought it for $299 at Gandermountain last December with it's original box, manual, and wax paper wrapper.

RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

That's a really nice revolver and a really nice find.

I found a picture of a revolver similiar to the one Dad has. It's not a top break like that nice pistol you have in your pictures. It's a nine-shot revolver with a side gate to load the shells. The empty shells are removed via a spring-loaded extractor. I believe I had the wrong model number as the picture identifies it as a "949." I can't provide a serial number right now as the gun is with my Dad who lives in NE PA and I'm in Philadelphia.

I was thinking about getting a S&W 617 .22 revolver or a Model 17, if I can find one, as Smith no longer manufactures it.

(Northampton County)

H&R Sportsman revolvers are FAR from SNS - they were/and still are, in all their incarnations and variations one of the top rim fire revolvers of all time.
    The series was in production from circa 1932 up through the demise of the original H&R Arms Co. in Jan. 1986 and then several years later, production resumed - up thru 1999 and only ceased when Marlin purchased the rights and manufacturing of all NEF and H&R 1871 LLC firearms. During the entire period of production the Sportsman was at the top price point for H&R revolvers and often in the same range as S&W pieces.
    I own a few dozen Sportsman revolvers, that span the entire production era, including all the various models and variations and derivatives of the Sportsman series.
    To properly date your piece - as stated before - we will need the serial number. There may or may not be a single or double letter prefix to the serial number - that will also be needed. A brief description of the type of grip(s), single action or double/single action, what and where stampings on left and right sides of the barrel and left side of the receiver - all these things will help determine which model and variation you have.
    Current values of Sportsman revolvers will range from about $100 for a parts gun missing a couple parts - up to well over $800 for a rare Model 196 Eureka. Average condition pieces will value at retail between $275 and $325, while top condition pieces will sell up to and over $400 (what Knight has - very nice piece).
    Looking forward to hearing back to determine what you have.
    Below is a pic of two very early 1933 era Model 1 Var 2 & 3 Sportsman and some later pieces for comparison.
    IMG_0168.jpg IMG_0218.jpg IMG_0230.jpg
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; November 5th, 2010 at 03:26 PM.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    That's a really nice revolver and a really nice find.

I found a picture of a revolver similiar to the one Dad has. It's not a top break like that nice pistol you have in your pictures. It's a nine-shot revolver with a side gate to load the shells. .
    That one is a Model 949.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Monroe County)

Yes its a nice classic revolver that should be respected and treated as such, in my neck of the woods a shop had one for $450 but before i could get to it a friend of mine swiped it.

Enjoy.

(Northampton County)

The old H&Rs and later NEFs were solid all steel shooters. They were considered good, reliable yet inexpensive shooters in their day. Mainly marketed towards people who couldn't afford Smiths, Colts, etc. Strangely enough, the prices for these have sky-rocketed as people are now realizing how solid and reliable they are. You'll now pay 2/3 times the amount that they went for new. Check out Gunbroker.com prices for them these days. Especially since there really aren't any decent .22 revolvers being made that you're not paying a fortune for. Even a used Ruger Single Six is going for a small fortune. I have a 1957 Sportsman breaktop and a NEF R92 ( roughly late '70's), and love them. I'd like to get one of their SAA clones yet. Maybe someday.
    Last edited by KevininPa; November 7th, 2010 at 12:43 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Dad's gun is a 949 and the serial number is AT071864. How old would this gun be? Seems like the Sportman 999 is a respectable weapon. What can anybody tell me about the 949? Where does it fall in H & R hierarchy and how does it compare to other makes? It doesn't seem like a bad pistol and it is still in pretty nice shape. The bluing is all there and the grip is in nice condition.
    Last edited by lemko; November 6th, 2010 at 07:26 PM.

(Delaware County)

32 Magnum, I'd appreciate it if you could offer an opinion of when my Sportsman single action was made.
    Serial number is S178XX stamped on the front of the grip frame.
    Left side of barrel stamped H&R "SPORTSMAN" SINGLE ACTION on 2 lines.
    Right side of barrel stamped with HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO. WORCESTER, MASS., U.S.A. on two lines.
    22 LONG RIFLE CTG. is stamped on the right side just in front of the cylinder.
    No patent dates are stamped on the cylinder.

Picture:

And I know it was made before 1960.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast