Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default About dating the H&Rs

Anyone looking to date the manufacture of their H&Rs. Gunbroker's message forum is a great place to ask if the answer isn't found here. Join their forum, post your serial number, and ask. You'll get an answer in no time. That's how I dated my Sportsman.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Harrington & Richardson 999 .22 Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by lemko View Post
    Dad's gun is a 949 and the serial number is AT071864. How old would this gun be? Known in the H&R catalogues as the "FORTY NINER". Prefix 'AT' = 1979. It is a 2nd Model (1973-86) and has the "transfer bar ignition/safety system.
    Seems like the Sportman 999 is a respectable weapon. What can anybody tell me about the 949? Where does it fall in H & R hierarchy and how does it compare to other makes? It doesn't seem like a bad pistol and it is still in pretty nice shape. The bluing is all there and the grip is in nice condition.This model was first introduced in 1961, derived from the H&R base model solid frame, pull-pin cylinder removal M 922, it was enhanced with features that made it appear to be a "Western style" revolver (side loading gate, Colt SAA type grip and barrel mounted ejector) to cash-in on the TV Western craze of the time.

These are solidly built, reasonably accurate (rear drift adjustable sight) and durable firearms. With proper care, they should last for quite some time. With the embellishments, this model resided near the top-end of the H&R line-up, pricing just below the Model 939 Ultra Sidekick and Model 999 Sportsman. Enjoy, take care of it.
    Jim Hauff H&R Collector In memory of my friends Bill Goforth and Jim Ritchie.

(Northampton County)

[QUOTE=imashooter2;1390702]32 Magnum, I'd appreciate it if you could offer an opinion of when my Sportsman single action was made.
    Serial number is S178XX stamped on the front of the grip frame.
    Left side of barrel stamped H&R "SPORTSMAN" SINGLE ACTION on 2 lines.
    Right side of barrel stamped with HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO. WORCESTER, MASS., U.S.A. on two lines.
    22 LONG RIFLE CTG. is stamped on the right side just in front of the cylinder.
    No patent dates are stamped on the cylinder. [QUOTE]

With that serial number (in this case 'S' stands for Single Action) it should be a 1st Model 3rd Variation, made circa 1936. That variation SHOULD have a cylinder stamp with Patent date in very small letters and a firing pin mounted on the hammer (???). If you look at the breech end of the cylinder and the extractor star - you should see the last three digits of the serial number? Can you find either of these?Your piece appears to be in v.good to exc. condition and should value at retail between $300 - $350. These are very accurate .22 handguns. I shoot one occasionally and am amazed at times how good it makes me look at the range.

IMG_0251_2.jpg

(Northampton County)

Default Re: About dating the H&Rs

Quote Originally Posted by KevininPa View Post
    Anyone looking to date the manufacture of their H&Rs. Gunbroker's message forum is a great place to ask if the answer isn't found here. Join their forum, post your serial number, and ask. You'll get an answer in no time. That's how I dated my Sportsman.
    Or you can stay right here and I'll help you. I also post on that other forum, under my name Jim Hauff. This forum is a lot less cluttered and I can post uploaded pics here, so it's your choice. BTW, I am one of the two Contributing Editors for H&R Firearms for "The Blue Book of Gun Values" by Steve Fjestad - that is my claim to H&R Fame.

(Delaware County)

[QUOTE=32 Magnum;1390972][QUOTE=imashooter2;1390702]32 Magnum, I'd appreciate it if you could offer an opinion of when my Sportsman single action was made.
    Serial number is S178XX stamped on the front of the grip frame.
    Left side of barrel stamped H&R "SPORTSMAN" SINGLE ACTION on 2 lines.
    Right side of barrel stamped with HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO. WORCESTER, MASS., U.S.A. on two lines.
    22 LONG RIFLE CTG. is stamped on the right side just in front of the cylinder.
    No patent dates are stamped on the cylinder.

With that serial number (in this case 'S' stands for Single Action) it should be a 1st Model 3rd Variation, made circa 1936. That variation SHOULD have a cylinder stamp with Patent date in very small letters and a firing pin mounted on the hammer (???). If you look at the breech end of the cylinder and the extractor star - you should see the last three digits of the serial number? Can you find either of these?Your piece appears to be in v.good to exc. condition and should value at retail between $300 - $350. These are very accurate .22 handguns. I shoot one occasionally and am amazed at times how good it makes me look at the range.

IMG_0251_2.jpg
    Thank you very much for the reply. The firing pin is integral to the hammer (part of the forging). There are matching "816" stamps on both the extractor star and the cylinder. That doesn't match the serial number though, so it appears that the cylinder has been replaced.

(Northampton County)

[QUOTE=imashooter2;1390983][QUOTE=32 Magnum;1390972Thank you very much for the reply. The firing pin is integral to the hammer (part of the forging). There are matching "816" stamps on both the extractor star and the cylinder. [U]That doesn't match the serial number though, so it appears that the cylinder has been replaced[/U].[QUOTE]

Imashooter - that would explain the lack of patent date(s) on the cylinder - it was swapped from an earlier variation. Without patent dates or PATENT PENDING stamp - it will have a smooth, not raised rim, breech end of the cylinder. If it times well and shoots well, then you're good to go. As to valuation - with a mis-matched cylinder - it drops about $50 - $75 bucks as a collectible - but retains quite a bit as a shooter grade. Enjoy it

Your're welcome and thanks for thanking, glad to help out.
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; November 7th, 2010 at 10:51 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 32 Magnum View Post

Imashooter - that would explain the lack of patent date(s) on the cylinder - it was swapped from an earlier variation. Without patent dates or PATENT PENDING stamp - it will have a smooth, not raised rim, breech end of the cylinder. If it times well and shoots well, then you're good to go. As to valuation - with a mis-matched cylinder - it drops about $50 - $75 bucks as a collectible - but retains quite a bit as a shooter grade. Enjoy it

Your're welcome and thanks for thanking, glad to help out.
    Interesting, the cylinder does have a raised rim. Would that make it a later cylinder?

I inherited this revolver from my Grampa. It was the first handgun I ever shot. I know Grampa shot the dickens out of it. He was a competitive Bullseye shooter and this was his only .22. Grampa didn't believe in a lot of excess.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    Interesting, the cylinder does have a raised rim. Would that make it a later cylinder?

I inherited this revolver from my Grampa. It was the first handgun I ever shot. I know Grampa shot the dickens out of it. He was a competitive Bullseye shooter and this was his only .22. Grampa didn't believe in a lot of excess.
    THAT IS interesting, indeed. Can only offer a couple suggestions: a factory ordered replacement - OR - came from a post 1940 piece or production - OR - it was buffed and refinished (doesn't look like it though)...???? Anomalies exist with the H&Rs as well as most other handguns of that era.

Interesting bit of info about your Granddad's use. The Model 199 SA Sportsman benefited from the accuracy upgrades made to the Single Shot Target Pistol USRA and with a refined trigger pull, smooth action, fast lock time and cut rifling barrel - the accuracy was superb. The 199 was at the top of H&R's pricing - except for a couple scarce single action variations (the model 777 Ultra Sportsman and model 196 Eureka which were specifically made and marketed to be at-the-top of the line and very limited production - was considered very accurate for it's time. Your Gampa's experience re-inforces this "advertising". Nice heritage piece you have there.

IMG_0278_2.jpg IMG_0271_2.jpg
    Last edited by 32 Magnum; November 7th, 2010 at 12:06 PM.

(Delaware County)

I guess we'll never know about the cylinder. My Father met Mom in '43 and they married in '45. Dad shot with Grampa from that time until he retired from competition in the mid 60's and he doesn't recall anything being done to the H&R except the occasional dunk in a bucket of lighter fluid. Oh well... if it was replaced, it only harms collector value and collector value only matters if you're willing to part with it.

Once again, I really appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge. Thanks!

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Harrington & Richardson Sportsman .22 Revolver

I have one with a serial #D 24762 can you help with any information??

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast