Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Those that shoot IDPA or USPSA

I recently enjoyed shooting the Steel Challenge at one of my local clubs that also holds quite a few USPSA shoots throughout the year. I am considering getting involved in USPSA.

Just out of curiosity....for those who shoot one of the practial pistol disciplines....what do you use? What pistol and gear do you find to be the best for your personal use?

For me and the fun shoots that I have attended, I have been shooting my Beretta 92G Elite II in Blade Tech DOH holster and fobus mag pouches. I do need to find a new belt, though. My regular one from Wally World is on it's last legs.

So lets see (or at least hear about) what you shoot with.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Those that shoot IDPA or USPSA

I shot IPSC back in the 80s, I used a Browning Hi-Power back then. My wife started shooting with a Ruger Security Six and then a S&W 6" 586 that had a bo-mar rib installed on it, kind of like an old PPC gun without the bull barrel.

I shot in an organization called C.O.P.S. (Combat Oriented Police Shooters) in the 90s back in WA. C.O.P.S. was very similar to what IDPA is now; the scenarios were based on officer involved shootings. We had a good range, with a shoot house, vehicles, and assortment of different target set ups.

It ran every two months, duty guns and duty gear, sometimes we had an off-duty event, sometimes a shotgun & rifle event, sometimes a BUG event, sometimes a partner’s match, and sometimes it was all low light.

In 2004 I started shooting IDPA. A group of us get together and try to shoot once each month. I use my EDC Glock 19 in a Kramer OWB belt scabbard with two Kramer single mag pouches. My wife shoots her Glock 17 in a Blade Tech ladies drop holster, but is going to use her EDC Glock 26 in a FIST IWB holster this coming year. (We will see how long that lasts; she really likes her 17 for the fun games.)

Off and on since the mid-80s, we (my wife & I) have run Defensive Pistol Leagues at different indoor ranges in three different states. These leagues were geared towards getting newer shooters comfortable and proficient with their carry gear. The courses of fire were based on different police qualification courses. For these shoots I always used my current duty or carry gun. (Changed through the years )

Have also shot some NRA Action Shooting, 3-Gun and Bowling Pin matches, again using what was my current duty/carry gun at the time.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Beaver County)

Started IDPA with a Browning Hi Power in a Comp Tac Speed Belt holster and double mag pouch.

Now I use a S&W M&P9 in the same model holster and double mag pouch.

I recommend a gun without a magazine safety, it makes the "unload, show clear, slide down, hammer down" sequence much simpler.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheOilGeek View Post
    I recommend a gun without a magazine safety, it makes the "unload, show clear, slide down, hammer down" sequence much simpler.
    My biggest hangup is with the 'hammer down' command. For all the years of training and qualifications in the military as well as a LEO....I can hear the RO's saying 'NEVER EVER PULL THAT TRIGGER UNLESS YOU WANT TO SEE A BULLET COME OUT THE BARREL" Just old school thinking/training. I have to 'relearn' some things as I get older.

Here is a pic of my setup.

(Allegheny County)

Ive been a 1911 shooter for a while, so I would carry, train, and shoot matches with a 1911.
    Ive been shooting a Hk P30 lately and so now I'll use that.

There are different division for different guns. So GLOCK's and 1911's dont compete against one another.

In USPSA with the 1911 Im shooting "Single Stack" with 8 round mags (or 10's in the 9mm) or I can shoot in "Limited-10" with 10 round 45 mags.
    In IDPA with the 1911 Im in "Custom defensive Pistol".
    In USPSA with the Hk Im in "Production" and in IDPA its "Stock Service Pistol".
    I'll run whatever holster I carry in normally a www.atomicdogholsters.com , sometimes a Sidearmor

(Susquehanna County)

I'm shooting revolvers in IDPA SSR & ESR.

My SSR is a S&W Mod. 10 heavy barrel with Hogue wood stocks, carried in a Don Hume JIT slide, though I'm switching to a Safariland 567. Speedloaders go in my vest pocket.

My ESR is a S&W Mod. 25-2 with Hogue stocks carried in a Safariland 567. Moonclips are carried in my vest pocket.

Because IDPA requires the holster to be carried on the same belt that hold up your pants, I use a stiff leather belt though not necessarily a "gun belt".

But, for PPC which is sometimes shot at my club or any sport that allows "competition" gear, I like and use Safariland's velcro belt & liner system. The liner has the velcro "hooks" and takes the place of your trousers belt, the belt has the velcro "loops" inside and carries your holster and other gear and goes on over the liner. Changing gear is thus easier.
    Just be sure you buy the belt 2" larger than the liner.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Allegheny County)

I do a little bit of IDPA, I use an M&P or M&P Pro with an OWB holster (atomic dog or my own) which is my EDC gear.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Monroe County)

For SSP/ESP I shoot an M&P Pro out of a bladetech 5.11
    CDP I shoot a SIG 220 Combat out of a bladetech 5.11

IDPA is great in the sense that you dont need really fancy gear to do well. If you can shoot you can make anything work. If you cant you might as well burn your money.

IDPA I shoot a Glock 17 with a Fobus holster and mag pouches. Basically an old Gen 3 glock, cheap kydex holster and mag pouches. I did install better sights and decreased my trigger pull but that's about it. With this cheap setup I could absolutely win matches, just need to invest more time in practice.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Delaware County)

I shoot a 4 inch 625 in USPSA and a 5 inch 627 for ICORE, fun matches and steel. I shot IDPA once with a 686, but decided I didn't much care for the rules structure. That isn't a slight to those that enjoy the game, it just isn't for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast