Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Gloves or mittens for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post
    I am in the market for a new pair of gloves and I wanted to hear what some other people are using. Two years ago, I used glove liners and those cheap black gloves. This year, I'm thinking maybe glove liners again but this time maybe some mittens or those green wool army gloves.

What do yinz use?
    If using liners I assume you’re talking cold weather gloves. I have a pair of Cabelas heavyweight with goretex that have been great. I also always go with lighter weight gloves for when I’m on the move or when temps warm up. I personally never could get used to mittens.

Without thinking twice I would go for gloves, but that's my personal preference. I spend years and a boatload of money looking for gloves warm enough for late-season pheasants on the northern plains, an absolute necessity when the wind makes the temps sub-zero. Last year I came across the perfect solution. I tried on the Alaska Pro gloves by Glacier, you can read up on other great gloves if you view here or have a quick look at Craiglist. I like to visit these types of places once in a while. Today I wouldn’t even think about a field-dressing game without wearing a solid pair of gloves.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I personally like the fingerless wool gloves with the mitten flap.
    My wife and father in law both wear these. Personally I do not wear anything other than old worn in deer skin work gloves. Never felt that I needed an insulated glove. Maybe I have high blood pressure or something. I’m also the guy that only needs an orange hoodie to sit all day in rifle season.

(Wayne County)

Like everything about being outside when it's cold, staying comfortable is about moisture management. Gloves/mittens are either too heavy for the walk in, and therefore make you sweat, making your hands cold. Or, they are too light for stand hunting, therefore your hands get cold.

I prefer to wear a light, uninsulated pair of leather-palmed gloves. They keep your skin off of the cold wood/metal/plastic of the gun, but they provide a good grip and aren't so bulky that they interfere with the trigger guard. For warmth I shove my hands into an insulated hand warmer/muff that I wear around my waist. Something like this:

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/redh...AA0w&gclsrc=ds

They are cheap and effective. You can shove several hand warmers into the and they stay toasty for a long time. If my hands get cold while holding my gun, I just cradle my gun in my arms or on my lap while my hands are in the tube.

I do this for ice fishing as well. I'll use a Zippo or Jon-E lighter fluid style hand warmer for that. If fishing is good., I don't even wear gloves while ice fishing unless I'm using a scoop or something metal. I just do whst I need to do, wipe my hands dry on my pants, and warm them in the tube. You don't have to keep taking gloves on and off for knot tying, etc.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

In very cold weather, I like the USGI Hawkeye gloves. (US Military -10°F ICW Intermediate Cold Weather)

They're super warm but pretty bulky. I switched to them for skiing because they offer more protection than thin nylon/gortex gloves and they're well insulated and gortex lined

They are thick leather so you can't shoot with them. My hands usually get hot no matter how cold it is, so I have mine off and on while I'm waiting for Bambi's dad.

You our can find unissued ones for under $20 at surplus stores and on the interwebz.

I have a beat up pair I use as cold weather work gloves. They take a beating and they're still waterproof.

Last edited by RockIsland; September 29th, 2019 at 10:39 AM.

Old thread but...............

The best combo I have used for all around hunting, is fingerless wool gloves, with a muff and hand warmer inside. Works for me 90% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by lts1ow View Post

Something like these, toss a hand warmer in the mitt part for the morning and hands seem to do well.
    Love these!

(Berks County)

Where does one get those?
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    Where does one get those?
    Wait for it.............

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    These, I wore these last winter through the blizzards, shoveling snow, stand hunting , stalking. NICE dry trigger finger mittens

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=306934
    My dad has the same mitts

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast