Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default My Holy Grail of BUG's... S&W 940

I lucked into a VERY clean S&W 940 today (BIG thanks to forum member Foofer for "nudging" me in the right direction!).

Sorry for the lousy pics (I suck in general, but particularly at photo-taking):

I am psyched at finally finding one that was not obnoxiously priced, and yet still in excellent+ condition...

It's been a long wait (well, it seemed longer than it was), but I knew I had to have one after shooting 1BlindRef's (Big thanks to you as well, Ref!).

What can I say? I am a sucker for 9mm - Even in revolvers!

Regards,

Bones

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: My Holy Grail of BUG's... S&W 940

Forgot to add:

The gun came from the FFL w/ the full-size grips shown in the pics, but I am going to swap the boot grips on ASAP, so as to allow for a bit more concealment (I have high hopes for pocket carry of this piece in a proper horsehide pocket holster - But we shall see)... Maybe even some nice exotic wood grips some time down the road...

Regards,

Bones

(Delaware County)

Pics are good. It's weird to see the old gal here on the interwebs. I'll be less nostalgic for her when I get my SP101. I emailed this but... I have the boot grip for you. However you want to pick it up just let me know. Cheers and take good care of her.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Foofer View Post
    Pics are good. It's weird to see the old gal here on the interwebs. I'll be less nostalgic for her when I get my SP101. I emailed this but... I have the boot grip for you. However you want to pick it up just let me know. Cheers and take good care of her.
    10-4, good sir.... I haven't shot her yet, but she sure looks to be a keeper

I will look for your email reply regarding the boot grips.

Thanks a million, Foofer...

Regards,

Bones

(Cumberland County)

Nice, nice, nice. I'm jealous. I've always liked the 940, but have never wanted to spring the cash for one.

Do want!

You know you're in trouble now. Wheel guns are just like autos. You're gonna want more, bigger, more expensive ones. And you're gonna have to buy goofy calibers too. It'll be fun. I promise.
    Last edited by rwb1500; November 4th, 2010 at 01:58 AM.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Nice, nice, nice. I'm jealous. I've always liked the 940, but have never wanted to spring the cash for one.

Do want!

You know you're in trouble now. Wheel guns are just like autos. You're gonna want more, bigger, more expensive ones. And you're gonna have to buy goofy calibers too. It'll be fun. I promise.
    Aww c'mon man - I talked myself into committing to the patient, disciplined search for a 940 (and nothing else - it HAD to be a 940) precisely because of the ammo price and commonality issue (all my handguns are 9mm).

Without that, my logic crumbles! My head might implode!

But I suspect that you are correct about the addiction part

Thanks for the feedback. I actually paid roughly what one would expect to pay for almost any other used J-Frame from that era (Perhaps a slight premium)....

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; November 4th, 2010 at 09:51 AM. Reason: spelling!

(Montgomery County)

Another one turns to the dark side. Congrats on the sought after parabellum wheel gun. She may be a bit heavy for pocket carry, but if you can handle it go for it.

Fiocchi offers a 158 grain loading for the 9mm that is quite light kicking and flat shooting. It is the heaviest 9mm load you will find on the market. Check it out.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    Another one turns to the dark side. Congrats on the sought after parabellum wheel gun. She may be a bit heavy for pocket carry, but if you can handle it go for it.

Fiocchi offers a 158 grain loading for the 9mm that is quite light kicking and flat shooting. It is the heaviest 9mm load you will find on the market. Check it out.
    Yeah I fear you might be right about my pocket carry aspirations, Steve. But I will give it an honest try. I think with jeans and a decent pocket holster, it could be done - But that all stainless construction definitely sags a bit, based upon my informal testing (and that was done unloaded, so the loaded gun will weigh a few ounces more I'm guessing).

I have seen that 158 gr. Fiocchi, but I thought it only came in FMJ configuration? For carry, I was planning on some 124 +P HST, to try and keep up some decent velocity out of that short tube...

I can't wait to get her to the range and try out a few different range and carry loads!

Regards,

Bones

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeyBones View Post
    Aww c'mon man - I talked myself into committing to the patient, disciplined search for a 940 (and nothing else - it HAD to be a 940) precisely because of the ammo price and commonality issue (all my handguns are 9mm).

Without that, my logic crumbles! My head might implode!

But I suspect that you are correct about the addiction part

Thanks for the feedback. I actually paid roughly what one would expect to pay for almost any other used J-Frame from that era (Perhaps a slight premium)....

Regards,

Bones

Well, .45 acp is something you could always consider... Maybe a wheel gun would have you adopting new auto calibers. Now that would be crazy!

Ohh Scandium...

Thy name is a month's pay...
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Oooohhh, very nice, RWB.... VERY nice!!!

Now that I have the 940, I have grandiose plans to acquire a scandium J-frame that would accommodate the cylinder from the 940 - And thus fire 9mm, or something else, with a swap of cylinders (I don't have a solid idea about the feasibility of this, due to availability, dimensions of the scandium frames etc. - But I do know of several people who have done this mod to yield a 38 Super revolver, for instance)... I know that the aluminum frames have been said to be too fragile for the 9mm round...

I originally wanted to build a "lemon-squeezer" 9mm J-Frame built on a new production Model 42 Centennial

As I look this gun over and learn some stuff, I have determined that this is a 'no-dash' 940... Not sure if that is more or less desirable, but that's what it is...

This place is bad for my bank account!

Regards,

Bones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast