Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Checkmating RAS against Phila Police

Would people open carrying have to carry those dumb Concealed Carry Badges ?
    The way the cops are in Philly, they might try to charge you with impersonating an officer with those things ! Really I believe the purpose of them would be in a situation where your holding an attacker at bay with your gun, and you would be able to use it to show the arriving police your the good guy ? In otherwords you show them the badge and they for a second think you may be a cop, this way they don't shoot you.
    But then do they charge you with impersonating a LEO ? I never seen the good in those badges other than being a mall ninja.
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

I don't like the idea of a badge either. I carry enough stuff already. I do recall a column from a gun rights writer (Massad Ayoob?) who told of a citizen who held a BG at gunpoint with one hand and held his LTCF over his head and kept his hand turning back and forth like a lighthouse. The arriving cops did as you said and held fire until they figured out who this was. With that in mind, I kept my LTCF where I could find it in the wallet without looking and practiced removing it without looking.

On another note re Phila. On another thread from Wisconsin (maybe on opencarry.com or here) I saw an interesting idea for an open carry demonstration. The demonstrators showed up openly carrying holsters on their hips and with a water bottle in it. Whattya gonna get charged with-felony possession of H2O? Might be a useful tactic to get PPD used to holsters on citizens.

(Philadelphia County)

Ha, ha, ha, "Hold it right there you, Uhh, could I have a swig ?" That's funny and original ! There's gotta be a way to get open carry in Philly ? It's the only city in the state that gives you a problem about it ! The kicker is it's totally legal but Philly treats it as if it's not. I believe if more citizens are seen OC'ing in the city the lowlifes would think twice before messing with someone. Every city that allows open carry has a low crime rate or at least lower than those that don't ! If people seen a gun as a tool instead of a deadly weapon it would be no different than a carpenter with his tool belt on !
    You Can Take My Gun When You Pry it From My Dead, Cold, Hand !

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyGunslinger View Post
    If people seen a gun as a tool instead of a deadly weapon it would be no different than a carpenter with his tool belt on !
    In Philly that's RAS to stop them for suspicion of burglary. (half-kidding)

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

I think you have a decent idea here, however I don't know if it will make a difference to the PPD. The PA Supreme Court has already determined that Open Carrying a gun in a holster on your hip is not RAS to stop. I understand that in Philly you need a License to Carry a Firearm in order to OC a firearm, but you also need a license to drive a car and seeing someone drive a car is not RAS for the PPD to pull them over.

The PPD and Philly politicians have a blatant anti-gun agenda and I do not believe OC'ers will stop being harassed in Philly until the "City of the First Class" is removed from the UFA.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

As I have said since starting this thread, I am looking to create an attitude change in the PPD based on flak from the DA, the courts and/or civil suits. I am looking to stop the knee jerk reaction to seeing an openly carried firearm as RAS of a crime. Can you see the effect of having a chance to ask a cop on the witness stand "How many times have you encountered a person openly carrying who was NOT legally doing so? RAS requires a perception of the carrier being dangerous. What was there about the carrier that made you see him/her as dangerous? Why did you ask first if they were with law enforcement instead of proning the carrier out (if that questation was asked). The carrier had a document (LTCF copy) attached to the holster and around the neck. Did that strike you as the mark of a violent offender? (if the copy carrying strategy was present)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12