Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Windsor, Vermont, Mt Carmel & Elysburg, PA, Vermont

Default Smith Wesson 422 ammo choice?

My SW 422 was showing some fte problems at practice range. Is there a certain brand of 22 ammo I should use to reduce this problem in this gun? Thank you.
    only connect...

Default Re: Smith Wesson 422 ammo choice?

The thing about any gun, including rimfires, is that they all have their own ammo preferences. By several brands and see what works best in your gun. Before branding this an ammo problem, I would give the gun a thorough field-strip, clean & lube and try again. Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Pizza Bob is spot on.
    .22's are very dirty and tend to gum up the works much quicker than most center fire calibers. Make sure you thoroughly clean your magazines as well.

My 622 (same gun, only silver) likes Federal Premium Match.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CCYQ8wIwAw#

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Lebanon County)

Mine always liked CCI minimags
    I've got two guns... One for each of ya (Doc Holiday)

I have had similar problems. I have the 422 as well.

It was funny...it would fire anything. Then I had a lot of failure to fire and failure to ejects. Then I switched to CCI minimags and it was always fine. But I couldn't shake the fact that it use to shoot anything. There had to be something wrong. Problem was, I j ust wasn't cleaning it good enough I guess. You really gotta strip that thing down and get some hardcore cleaner in there and scrub that chamber and bore.

I figured failure to fire was because the round wasn't seated properly and the pin didn't have enough "umph" because of its shorter travel to set off the round. And the failure to ejects were from the brass being jammed in there too tight from the gunk.

Works fine as long as I keep it squeaky clean and lubed.

WalMaert Federal Ammo cheap and fires like a dream out of my 422...... cheapest ammo seems to work the best out of the none "new old stock georgeous 422s" clean it the best you can i alternate fireing my taurus 9mm and it to let it breath less jams.. today two jams in 300 rounds of fire.. 100 flawless and this is an old 422 with good maintenance... great pistol cherrish it or sell it to me for 200$ lol

(Perry County)

My cousin had one. It HATED the federal bulk pack ammo. The only thing it would function with reliably was the $7/100 CCI stuff. He couldn't justify spending that much on .22 ammo just to plink with a semi pistol so he sold the gun. Find the ammo that your pistol likes and hope it's not too expensive to shoot.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

Wink Re: Smith Wesson 422 ammo choice?

i wonder if he had a newer nice 422.... i have an older model i believe. if his has any woodgrain or shinney sufaces it probably shot nice ammo well... my older modeal loves cheep ammo is the most accurate none scope 22 ive shot which isnt saying too much but they are a gem i bought my first at a police sesiure auction in TN i was 16 not to many oldtimers wanted to fight me for 125.00 i know many plinkers that will pay that in double for a fireing parts gun in fear that their 422 will ever need a part replaced... great gun... needs good injection cleaning extra clips and only a couple hundred rounds at a time of a sufficient ammo, owner's preference, or 80 flawless federal rounds... nice chatting

peace love and my 422

Freddy