Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Orlando (Used to live in Allegheny County), Florida

Default Trijicon Front Sight Problem with a Beretta 9000S

I had installed the following on my pistol:

BE07Y: Beretta 9000 3 Dot Green Front & Yellow Rear

While firing last Thursday for my G (armed security) requalification, I was going through a two shot series. I drew, fired the first shot, then when I went to fire the second shot, the front sight was GONE. Could not be located on the firing range, even if the lights were turned off.

Finished and passed the requalification ok with a borrowed Glock.

Took the gun to the gunsmith who had installed the sights. He was able to replace the lost sight at no charge to me, but indicated that there might be a problem with size of the sight fitting into the dovetail on the slide.

He thought the problem might be Beretta's.

Has anybody seen this problem?

Does anybody have any ideas on how to have the sight tightened into the dovetail?

Is this a Trijicon problem perhaps?
    George H. Foster - Orlando, Florida (Formerly Allegheny County)

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Trijicon Front Sight Problem with a Beretta 9000S

I will do my best to answer your direct questions below.

Quote Originally Posted by GHF View Post
    I had installed the following on my pistol:

BE07Y: Beretta 9000 3 Dot Green Front & Yellow Rear

While firing last Thursday for my G (armed security) requalification, I was going through a two shot series. I drew, fired the first shot, then when I went to fire the second shot, the front sight was GONE. Could not be located on the firing range, even if the lights were turned off.

Finished and passed the requalification ok with a borrowed Glock.

Took the gun to the gunsmith who had installed the sights. He was able to replace the lost sight at no charge to me, but indicated that there might be a problem with size of the sight fitting into the dovetail on the slide.

He thought the problem might be Beretta's.

Has anybody seen this problem?
    No. The gunsmith replacing the front sight for free is a bit suspicious. I suspect that the gunsmith may have either installed the wrong part, or filed the sight he installed a bit too much before installation.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to have the sight tightened into the dovetail?
    The sight cannot be tightened. Usually the dovetail mating surfaces are too tight and a file is used to remove a small bit of material so that it will fit. The idea of the dovetail is that no tightening is needed.

Is this a Trijicon problem perhaps?
    Most likely a problem with the install by the gunsmith. Watch the below video, at about the 3:35 point you will see what I mean.

Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Trijicon Front Sight Problem with a Beretta 9000S

I have owned a 9000S for some time now. I have probably put close to 1000 rounds through my gun and one day at the range, I noticed the front site missing after a couple of rounds. I could not find the darn thing for the life of me. I purchased a new one for 20$ through Brownells.com as they are the supplier Beretta recommends. I replaced the site myself, but that one fell out after a few clips. Also not to be found.

I was thinking about the trijicon sites but I don't wanna end up with 80$ spent and a missing front site.

Beretta is the issue in my case, because the first site was factory, never touched. I wouldn't necessarily blame the gunsmith. Seems like Beretta could be the cause. My local gunsmith recommended I send the gun back to them as they might possibly replace the slide. I might have cause to argue with them over a manufacturing issue. But having already replaced the factory sites, that argument might not work for you.

So...just thought I would let you know you do not have the only 9000S that has had a site fall off.

Love the gun otherwise!