Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What type of shotgun should I use for hunting?

I live in Allegheny County so I have to use a shotgun but I don't know which one to get. I was thinking about getting just a plain old Remington 870 but I don't know if I should spend the extra $20 and get the super mag. The $20 isn't a problem I just don't know if I would need the 3and1/2 chamber or if it isn't reliable as the regular 870. Is it worth it?

Feel free to suggest any other shotgun you think I should check out. What type of shotgun do you hunt with?

Default Re: What type of shotgun should I use for hunting?

Quote Originally Posted by LarryD1130 View Post
    I live in Allegheny County so I have to use a shotgun but I don't know which one to get. I was thinking about getting just a plain old Remington 870 but I don't know if I should spend the extra $20 and get the super mag. The $20 isn't a problem I just don't know if I would need the 3and1/2 chamber or if it isn't reliable as the regular 870. Is it worth it?

Feel free to suggest any other shotgun you think I should check out. What type of shotgun do you hunt with?
    I use a Remington 870 with a rifled barrel. I ONLY ever use 2 3/4" slugs.
    Jules

(Bucks County)

I have th 870 express combo has the 20 inch slug and 28 inch vented barrels. It comes drilled & tapped for a weaver base & rings if i remember right think that is what I have on there. I also bought the sling kit & sling. I shoot 3 inch slugs when out hunting

IMO an 870 express is a great shotgun, get the vented rib barrel and a rifled slug barrel with a cantilever scope mount and you have one firearm for most types of hunting. Its not a long distance shooter but everything within a hundred yards is within its range, 150 to 200 if you have the right slug. Try out several different slugs to see what it likes the best. Deer and Bears can be hunted with slug guns.
    The vented rib field barrel with a screw in choke works great on turkeys, pheasants squirrels, rabbits, crows. If you learn to call em in close enough, coyotes, foxes. You can use it everywhere in PA.
    Great Home defense weapon as well, 00 buck in 2 3/4" wont over penetrate as much as a rifle.
    Mossberg also makes a great shotgun, the model 500, it has the same capabilities as the 870, sometimes you can get the combo pack with the rifled slug barrel and the vented rib barrel, it might be a little cheaper than a 870 but still a fabulous shotgun for the money. As for the3 1/2 mags, I never saw much use for them, 3" mags have been more than enough punisment
    Last edited by bigandy1966; November 1st, 2010 at 11:07 AM. Reason: Never mind, that guy from Chuck hawks website was an idiot
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Monroe County)

my dad has an 870 w/ a rifled barrel, will put round on round at 100 yards all day long.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Allegheny County)

Yeah I plan on getting the kit with the two barrels. I doubt I'll put a scope on it. I already have a Mossberg JIC for HD.

The main question is: Should I spend $20 more and get the magnum?

(Luzerne County)

Really depends on what you plan on hunting... if only small game and maybe deer, then regular is fine... if your going after waterfowl, then the magnum would be a better choice....

JUST MY OPINION......

(Chester County)

i dont like working the pump action of a 3.5" chamber (awkwardly long pump from what im used to) so i would go with a 3" unless you are hunting waterfoul, then go with the 3.5". i wouldnt buy any shotgun that only took 2.75" shells, or wasnt a 12 guage.

*i hunt deer with either a 3" chambered mossberg 500 or a 3" chambered 870 magnum. both are 12 guage, have smooth bores, and I use Remington 3" 1oz Express Slugger magnum rifled slugs

i hunt clay pigeons and snakes with the same guns using cheap 2.75" Estate 7.5 shot target loads.

(Allegheny County)

I probably won't use it for anything but deer and maybe some clay pigeons.

(Monroe County)

so one thing to always keep in mind...

You can shoot 2 3/4 and 3" out of a 3"

you can shoot 2 3/4, 3, and 3.5 out of a 3.5"

for 20 bucks I would go with the 3.5. You never know what you may do in the future
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast