Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What is a good scope to put on a Marlin 30-30?

I have an old 30-30 and the scope on it is all messed up and I want to put a new one on it. What brand should I get and what power?

Default Re: What is a good scope to put on a Marlin 30-30?

Who would ever put a scope on a lever action rifle? That's like having a hitch installed on a Lamborghini Murcielago. Sure, it has the horsepower to pull the camper, but that really wasn't the idea behind the design?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Who would ever put a scope on a lever action rifle? That's like having a hitch installed on a Lamborghini Murcielago. Sure, it has the horsepower to pull the camper, but that really wasn't the idea behind the design?

Jan
    Me, my dad, my grandfather, my uncle, and a good family friend of mine to name a few.

This is what I have on my Savage 99 in my profile picture, but I'm not sure what you're willing to spend.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x-ii-3-9x40mm/
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Me, my dad, my grandfather, my uncle, and a good family friend of mine to name a few.
    So it runs in the family?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Beaver County)

I like the Leupold scout scope setup. PM sent.

(Delaware County)

I am fond of Leupold scopes and I also have a couple Nikons. That being said I wouldn't expect everyone to spend the same amount of money on their optics as I do. Also, on the .30-30s that I scoped I went with fixed power scopes, 4x or 6x should work very well in almost any situation.

In the area that you hunt what kind of shots will you be taking? Thick cover? Open woods? Fields?

Do you still hunt? Use drives? Treestand? Ground blind?

Depending on the answers I would suggest different things. ***The new Redfield line is made by Leupold here in the USA and has very nice glass at a great price, check out the 2-7x33 for your .30-30.***

(Allegheny County)

I know somebody was going to hit me with the, "Who would put a scope on a 30-30" thing. Me personally, I like scopes on my 30-30. The area I hunt is usually pretty thick covered but there are some nice shooting lanes. I usually just stand or still hunt. I don't know if I should get the fixed power or not. I like the fact that I can zoom in but will I need it? If I do get one that doesn't have fixed power, what power should I get. 3-9x40 seems like a little too much for a 30-30 where I'm hunting. I doubt I'll get the VX-II for my 30-30 because I was thinking about putting one of them on my 30-06. I'm leaning towards Leupold or Redfield.
    Last edited by LarryD1130; November 1st, 2010 at 10:25 AM.

(Monroe County)

I would absolutely throw a scope on it. I prefer a 4 power for my 30.30 but with the outstanding range that you get from the LeverEvolution I am thinking about switching to a variable power as shots of 150+ yards are definately doable now
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Westmoreland County)

The last few years I have been buying Nikons, good glass and you will not brake the bank. I would also go with the 4X40 or the 3 X 9 X40, anything less than 40 and you will have trouble in low light. Nikon makes a 2x7x32 I have heard guys have had good luck with them in heavy brush hunting . but you have the light issue,

Jan
    So it runs in the family?

Jan
    I'm not entirely sure if these posts are in jest or they are intended to invoke some kind of response, so....with that being said, please refrain from posting in a thread if you aren't going to contribute to the discussion.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast