Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Hybrid View

(Allegheny County)

Default What is a good scope to put on a Marlin 30-30?

I have an old 30-30 and the scope on it is all messed up and I want to put a new one on it. What brand should I get and what power?

Default Re: What is a good scope to put on a Marlin 30-30?

Who would ever put a scope on a lever action rifle? That's like having a hitch installed on a Lamborghini Murcielago. Sure, it has the horsepower to pull the camper, but that really wasn't the idea behind the design?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    Who would ever put a scope on a lever action rifle? That's like having a hitch installed on a Lamborghini Murcielago. Sure, it has the horsepower to pull the camper, but that really wasn't the idea behind the design?

Jan
    Me, my dad, my grandfather, my uncle, and a good family friend of mine to name a few.

This is what I have on my Savage 99 in my profile picture, but I'm not sure what you're willing to spend.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x-ii-3-9x40mm/
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    Me, my dad, my grandfather, my uncle, and a good family friend of mine to name a few.
    So it runs in the family?

Jan

(Beaver County)

I like the Leupold scout scope setup. PM sent.

(Delaware County)

I am fond of Leupold scopes and I also have a couple Nikons. That being said I wouldn't expect everyone to spend the same amount of money on their optics as I do. Also, on the .30-30s that I scoped I went with fixed power scopes, 4x or 6x should work very well in almost any situation.

In the area that you hunt what kind of shots will you be taking? Thick cover? Open woods? Fields?

Do you still hunt? Use drives? Treestand? Ground blind?

Depending on the answers I would suggest different things. ***The new Redfield line is made by Leupold here in the USA and has very nice glass at a great price, check out the 2-7x33 for your .30-30.***

Jan
    So it runs in the family?

Jan
    I'm not entirely sure if these posts are in jest or they are intended to invoke some kind of response, so....with that being said, please refrain from posting in a thread if you aren't going to contribute to the discussion.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

(Bucks County)

While I have (2) Rem 700s with variable scopes, I find that I keep them both close to the minimum setting. I'd recommend a fixed power for the lever and get a variable for your Rem 700...Hunting in most of PA you don't have any reason to turn up the power, makes it harder to keep the deer in sight and magnifies movement so much to cause problems.

I dug out dad's old 6x weaver from the back of the gun cabinet and mounted it on a Rem pump 22 for shits 'N giggles...it's still clear as a bell and has the finest cross hairs...those tree rats don't stand a chance!

Now he had it on his 300 Savage in the early 60's b/4 I was old enough to hunt and moved it to his .270 for a short time b/4 getting the 3 - 9 that is on there now. That's over 50 years old!
    Last edited by wis bang; November 1st, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if these posts are in jest or they are intended to invoke some kind of response, so....with that being said, please refrain from posting in a thread if you aren't going to contribute to the discussion.
    My second post was purely in response to your pathetic post. As if the fact that your entire family puts scopes on lever action rifles would prove anything. What if I told you that everyone in my family is wearing thongs, males included? Would that make you believe that it's a good thing and actually change your underwear? See how pathetic your post was?

As for my original response, I stick to it. The concept of lever action was to provide a mechanism for "rapid fire", "fast repetition". That is logically in conflict with the concept of a scope, used for "one shot, one kill, long distance". So a scope on top of a lever action rifle is not in tune with the original design goals of a lever action rifle. Period.

Jan