Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: What is a good scope to put on a Marlin 30-30?

While I have (2) Rem 700s with variable scopes, I find that I keep them both close to the minimum setting. I'd recommend a fixed power for the lever and get a variable for your Rem 700...Hunting in most of PA you don't have any reason to turn up the power, makes it harder to keep the deer in sight and magnifies movement so much to cause problems.

I dug out dad's old 6x weaver from the back of the gun cabinet and mounted it on a Rem pump 22 for shits 'N giggles...it's still clear as a bell and has the finest cross hairs...those tree rats don't stand a chance!

Now he had it on his 300 Savage in the early 60's b/4 I was old enough to hunt and moved it to his .270 for a short time b/4 getting the 3 - 9 that is on there now. That's over 50 years old!
    Last edited by wis bang; November 1st, 2010 at 07:30 PM.

(Bucks County)

It all depends on what u use it for.

I would go with Nikon or leupold.
    Very reasonable price and the lenses have good coatings

Old.school traditional no scope.on levers.

(Somerset County)

Fixed 4X (mine's a Weaver from the mid 70's and mounted on a Savage 99) is good or low powered variable like a 1-4 or maybe a 2-7. My son's rifle wore a Nikon Prostaff 2-7 for a couple of years and it worked well. It's listed as a shotgun scope but it works fine on rifles too.

Dale

(Northampton County)

I'm gonna say a fixed 2x, you're not likely to need more than that in the woods given the limitations of the 30-30. If you think the norm will be a shot in excess of 100yds bring a different gun, a 2x should get you a deer at 150yds if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by zackattack784 View Post
    I'm not entirely sure if these posts are in jest or they are intended to invoke some kind of response, so....with that being said, please refrain from posting in a thread if you aren't going to contribute to the discussion.
    My second post was purely in response to your pathetic post. As if the fact that your entire family puts scopes on lever action rifles would prove anything. What if I told you that everyone in my family is wearing thongs, males included? Would that make you believe that it's a good thing and actually change your underwear? See how pathetic your post was?

As for my original response, I stick to it. The concept of lever action was to provide a mechanism for "rapid fire", "fast repetition". That is logically in conflict with the concept of a scope, used for "one shot, one kill, long distance". So a scope on top of a lever action rifle is not in tune with the original design goals of a lever action rifle. Period.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    My second post was purely in response to your pathetic post. As if the fact that your entire family puts scopes on lever action rifles would prove anything. What if I told you that everyone in my family is wearing thongs, males included? Would that make you believe that it's a good thing and actually change your underwear? See how pathetic your post was?

As for my original response, I stick to it. The concept of lever action was to provide a mechanism for "rapid fire", "fast repetition". That is logically in conflict with the concept of a scope, used for "one shot, one kill, long distance". So a scope on top of a lever action rifle is not in tune with the original design goals of a lever action rifle. Period.

Jan
    This is so full of fail its not even funny. I think the most important part is where you say "the concept of lever action WAS to provide...". not is. a 30.30 is accurate enough out to 100+ yards with standard store bought ammo, 150+ with LeverEvolution ammo.

I see no reason not to put a scope on a rifle that can take a 100 yard shot. if you want throw a set of see through mounts on it so you can still use irons... but there is no reason not to scope it
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post

Jan

I have read this post and other posts on other threads. The thought of rapid fire fast repetition, has no need in the woods. If you can't hit a deer with the first shot follow up shots are fine if it is safe. Whenever fast follow up shots are done you risk the chance of something bad happening. Put a scope on the frickin thing take one shot and end your hunt. The guy that feels a need to put all 6 or 7 rounds (and uses them) in that thing is of a loser minded hunter.

(Westmoreland County)

Larry I went out too Mid-Way and a couple guys wrote reviews on putting the Nikon pro - staff 2x7x32 shotgun scopes on 3030s. And they gave it a good review. They said it made a good set up for them for around $100.00
    I have the see thru mounts on my 336. but I opted for the 3x9x40, most times its set on 3 power, but its nice with these old eyes to crank it up to 9 power looking for that 4th antler.

(Allegheny County)

Still not too many solid answers. A little bit of arguing but that's about it. For those of you who are trying to help me out, I appreciate it.

(Somerset County)

Forgot to mention in my earlier post, don't fall into the 'bigger is better' trap. I think you'll find that a large 3-9X50 or 4-12 scope will change the balance and handling of your rifle in a bad way.

I don't like the see thru mounts or Leupold STD mounts either. My last 2 setups have been Burris Signature Zee Rings on Weaver bases. You didn't ask about that but mounts are important too.

Dale

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast