Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Cool Are Premium guns worth it?

Alright, so
    I have been lusting over Ed browns special forces since I first saw one. Haven't been able to actually shoot one, but handling them
    gives me wood. I'm not rich by any means, so I couldn just go out and buy one. What I'm wondering is if it's worth it to sell 2-3 other guns to have this one? My thought it that the Ed brown will be used for shooting steel, idpa, ipsc, and some 3 gun stuff. Also HD and maybe even carried. However, i'd be giving up my m&p pro I shoot steel with now, a kimber that runs perfectly and a Taurus 1911 with rail that serves as a glove boxer now.

Really wonderin if anyone has done this kind
    of thing and how they felt about it. Or should I wait to
    fin one used and not have to sell everything else to get one? It's a tough call, and I know that 1911s have a law of diminishing returns. I can already hit whatever I aim at with the kimber so some
    people say what's the point.

Your help would be appreciated.

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Are Premium guns worth it?

I would say no unless you're doing a gun game.

For the price of one of these guns, you could get a perfectly adequate gun, a lot of ammo and a class.

(Monroe County)

Its worth it if it's what you really want and if it's worth it to YOU! If that's what would make you happy..to have that dream gun...then do it.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by steviesterno View Post
    Alright, so
    I have been lusting over Ed browns special forces since I first saw one. Haven't been able to actually shoot one, but handling them
    gives me wood. I'm not rich by any means, so I couldn just go out and buy one. What I'm wondering is if it's worth it to sell 2-3 other guns to have this one? My thought it that the Ed brown will be used for shooting steel, idpa, ipsc, and some 3 gun stuff. Also HD and maybe even carried. However, i'd be giving up my m&p pro I shoot steel with now, a kimber that runs perfectly and a Taurus 1911 with rail that serves as a glove boxer now.

Really wonderin if anyone has done this kind
    of thing and how they felt about it. Or should I wait to
    fin one used and not have to sell everything else to get one? It's a tough call, and I know that 1911s have a law of diminishing returns. I can already hit whatever I aim at with the kimber so some
    people say what's the point.

Your help would be appreciated.
    Absolutely worth it. I own an Ed Brown Special Forces and couldn't be happier with it. It is dead nuts reliable, super accurate and there is a certain "feel" that all higher end 1911's have. Not to mention it is the best value in the semi-custom 1911 market. Like the old saying goes, "buy once, cry once". This is an heirloom quality firearm that can be used rigorously and then be passed down to future generations. I really love this pistol. Its a high quality piece. Ed Brown blends old school hand fitting with modern, cutting edge manufacturing techniques. Really the best of both worlds. Check out his 5 min video on youtube. Just type in "Ed Brown" and it should come up. Hope this helps.

(Montgomery County)

In a word, Yes.

However, I speak from a wheel gunners perspective. In my opinion the Performance Center guns from Smith and Wesson are worth more then what they cost. Having a senior fitter/builder construct a weapon is absolutely worth every cent.

I do not think it is worth it to get rid of multiple fine working firearms to purchase another. Save up the money, even if it takes 3 years. If they work, there is no need to get rid of them to get another.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Piece of mind is the core of any firearm purchase for me.

I made the mistake of purchasing some good quality pistols when I first started shooting but not "exactly" what I wanted. Though they did the job and went bang there was always "that thought" in the back of my mind...

One more thought.. once you step up to the plate you will most definitely find yourself having to hit a home run every time in the future.

(Allegheny County)

I can't speak for high end 1911's personally, I've never owned one. I can say that if you want a quality gun that shoots well and is 100% reliable you do not need to spend a lot of money. You already have an M&P Pro. A Glock with some cheap upgrades is a great shooter. Personally I would take the money you would spend on that gun and put it towards training and ammo. In the long run I think it will be a better investment. A lot of people would disagree with me though.

(Cumberland County)

A Kia will get you from point a to point b. So will a Ferrari.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Jefferson County)

To some folks they are, to me they aren't. ...especially when my $279 Norinco 1911A1 that I've owned for the last 17 years has not FTF'd, FTE'd, or jammed in any form, nor has it broken a part. And is every bit as accurate as my Walther P99.

Sure, it may not be as pretty as a Brown, Clark, Nighthawk, or some other big dollar gun - but it shoots the same for 1/4 the price.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lancaster County)

To me, spending over $2,000 on a pistol is completely and utterly insane.

With that said, if it's the gun of your dreams, go for it. I'd recommend against selling off what you already have though. The used gun market is tough right now. Trading in at a shop you'd be lucky to get $1,200 for what you were talking about letting go. Maybe in private sales you could do a bit better, but there's no guarantee in that. You may end up selling off one and not finding buyers for the others.

If it's what you really want, then I'd suggest just saving up the money to buy it and add it to the collection.

If not, you'll likely end up taking a big loss on the guns you have now only to turn around and want to buy them (or something like them) again later. Would you really use the Ed Brown as an everyday carry gun? Hell no. It's way to valuable. What if you had to use it? Would you really want to let the cops take it into evidence? What if you drop it and scratch up the finish? On a $500 gun that's ok, on a $2000 masterpiece...I don't think so.

How 'bout a range beater gun? Taurus's are great guns for that. I know when I'm at the range I don't want to give all my guns the white glove treatment. Sometimes they take a bit of a beating too. Will you still have fun shooting if you're worrying about your expensive gun leaving in the condition it arrived in?

It may be a viable replacement for the Kimber. It's also a high end gun and having the Ed Brown may prove a bit redundant.

My advice again though, save up for it if you want it really bad. When you have a fistful of hundred dollar bills ready to hand over the counter, see if you're feeling good about that.

There is legitimate value in super premium guns, if that's your thing, go for it. But dumping off 3 reliable guns to get it is kind of like dumping 3 perfectly good girls just for a chance with the really hot chick down the street. Sure, she'll be great at first, but eventually the thrill will wear off.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast