Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Thoughts on PT 709 slim

Thinking of getting s 2nd carry for those times when my XD is a bit too thick and I like the look and price of the PT 709 slim. Seems like a flip of a coin with Taurus, if you get a good one its a great gun at a great price if not you have a paperweight.
    Anyone have any insight on the 709 slim?

Thanks

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Thoughts on PT 709 slim

Strap yourself in, the Taurus haters should be along shortly....
    There have been numerous discusions about the PT709. I may be one of the few that likes the gun for what it is. A "slim", single stack 9mm that rides real well in an IWB holster.

At least you know going in, you could get less that you hope. Mine wouldn't eject empties from the day I got it. This seems to be the most common problem with the 709. I did send mine back with very good results. It now functions perfect and is a nice shooter. I'm at 800 rounds and counting.

Some others have reported that the polymer frame cracked, which I have seen pictures of. I forget wheather it was the 9m or the 40 or both. I don't know if it's a design problem with Taurus or a quality control problem. They have more than their share of problems in any event.

If you decide to buy on, you need to relize your stuck with it for better or worse unless you practically give it away. If it wasn't for the lifetime warranty, they might not be able to give their guns away.

Even though I like mine, I would never tell anybody to buy one. Just being honest. It's a buyer beware situation with Taurus. You can also check them out over at www.taurusarmed.net?
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Centre County)

I've had my time with a semi auto Taurus and things turned out OK, but in the end it got sold for a Glock. Personally, I'd spend my money on a quality snub nose .38 +p revolver (FWIW, my Taurus 85 gets carried the most out of all my carry guns). It's VERY rare that I can't conceal the thing in a pocket or IWB holster.
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

I love mine. I shoot my own loads so I can not say if that is the reason that I do not have a problem.

Look for me at EBR&G Club. I know you mentioned you joined. I normally will practice with my 709, then switch to blackpowder, both pistol and rifle.

>>you need to relize your stuck with it for better or worse unless you practically give it away<<

Yes, kinda like buying a Hyundai! :-)

Just an opinion, (They're like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink.) but I think you'll be better served by a Kel-Tec PF9 or a Kahr P9 or CW9.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    .........but I think you'll be better served by a Kel-Tec PF9 or a Kahr P9 or CW9.
    He said it all right there.

And KelTec is a better price.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by SCBaldr View Post
    Just an opinion, (They're like assholes, everyone has one and most of them stink.) but I think you'll be better served by a Kel-Tec PF9 or a Kahr P9 or CW9.
    I could not disagree more with this comment after just shooting the PF9 and the 709 side by side last weekend with a good friend.

My post from the recent PF9 vs 709 thread:

"I just got the opportunity to put over 50 rounds through both guns this past Saturday:

Comfort:
    - the recoil was honestly painful on the PF9 after just one mag due to the aggressive snap and nasty grip
    - the 709 may have had an unfair advantage here by wearing a hogue slip-on junior grip, as it was very easy and comfy to shoot, even with Winchester PDX1 +P's

Trigger:
    - we both agreed was far crisper and more predictable on the 709

Reliability: (this was the very first 100 rounds put through both guns)
    - we had 4 FTE's with the PF9 (perhaps just due to break-in?)
    - no issues with the Taurus *knock on wood it stays that way*

Accuracy:
    - the PF9's groupings were sloppy to say the least, even with slow controlled follow-ups
    - the 709 was far from what I would consider great, but the groups were certainly acceptable within 20' and right on target once I adjusted the rear sight

Fit and finish:
    - we both agreed was significantly better on the Taurus and the more extensive use of metal vs plastic parts we also appreciated

I was a little nervous going into this thinking I may have overpaid for a sub-par gun, but I ended up very pleased that I spent a little extra cash for a lot better gun. (at least in my experience with both guns) My friend actually already decided to trade his PF9 in for either a 709 or a Kahr CW9 once he gets a chance to shoot the Kahr.

In this match-up my vote has to be 100% Taurus 709 Slim over the KelTec PF9. "

*As an aside, I was nervous about buying a 709 after Taurus' sketchy reliability reputation on the forums lately, but I decided to take a chance after owning a 145 Pro that was 100% reliable and I have NOT been let down by the 709 thus far. It's also super easy to conceal and comfortable to carry in my crossbreed supertuck holster.

(Blair County)

The latest issue of Handguns tested the PT709 Slim, Stoeger Cougar, Kel-Tec PF-9 and the Bersa Thunder 9 UC.

The PT709 Slim got the best overall score and was at the top (or near it) in all categories.

I bought a Kahr PM9 as my single stack 9mm and love it.

I don't have my 709 any more, but not because it wasn't a good shooter -- it was accurate enough, easily concealed IWB since it was a single-stack, and I didn't have any problems with it; I wound up trading it for a 738 (because I wanted a true pocket .380).

My biggest issue with the 709 was that the trigger guard would come up and hit my index finger something fierce. I wound up having to use a glove to shoot it comfortably at the range.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast