Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Safe barrel ???

(Lancaster County)

Default Safe barrel ???

So I have a old Enders Royal double barrel. I refinished the stock and forearm and it came out nice. I then decided to cut the barrel down to 18 1/4". Basically I made it into a coach gun. The inside barrel is perfect, however the outside of it has a brown patina and some older rust. I dont really want to refinish the barrel so my question is............ is the barrel safe to shoot? It is not a old blackpowder gun. The barrel is marked Royal Steel. Also no its not Damascus either.

let me also add that the guy I bought it off was shooting it last year and said he had no problems.
    Last edited by riverpirate; October 30th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
    No longer posting

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Safe barrel ???

So long as it isn't cracked or bulged, and that it fits the gun - it should be safe to shoot. Patina or rust has very little bearing on shootability when its on the outside of the gun.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

I did a quick check on the name of the shotgun. They were produced from1890 to 1920. with that in mind I would have a gun smith check the gun out.
    Modern firearm ammunition may exceed chamber specifications for a gun that age. You may need to shoot some lower pressure ammo, even if it checks out ok. Better safe than sorry!

(Lancaster County)

The one I have was produced in the 30's. Ender's was another name used by Cresent Firearms. They were made up till the mid 30's. The research ive done says if it is a 2 3/4 chamber it should be able to handle modern ammo. Im not going to put magnums in it , but it would be fun with 2 3/4 " 71/2 shot. Im going to take it to a smith on monday and have it looked at. Regardless it still looks great.
    No longer posting

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    The one I have was produced in the 30's. Ender's was another name used by Cresent Firearms. They were made up till the mid 30's. The research ive done says if it is a 2 3/4 chamber it should be able to handle modern ammo. Im not going to put magnums in it , but it would be fun with 2 3/4 " 71/2 shot. Im going to take it to a smith on monday and have it looked at. Regardless it still looks great.
    Good luck with the gun! Picks???

(Cambria County)

That period of Cresents were for 'Nitro' ammo, but they have short forcing cones. They are intended to shoot roll crimped shells. If you shoot star crimped shells the forcing cone is too short to allow the crimp to completely open. The gun will have excessive recoil due to this boost in chamber pressure. A gunsmith can ream a long forcing cone into the barrels. Do not cut the chambers on this gun for 3".