Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: ar 15 upgrade, opinions wanted

Training.

Also, why do you consider the Adams Arms kit to be an "upgrade"?

What problem with your gun will it solve? You need to approach every purchase with a problem in mind. Right now, the training solves the lack of training problem. The Trijicon may solve a problem that is a lack of optics. The biggest difference will be training, and that solves a problem with more than one gun, not just the one you have now.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Training.

Also, why do you consider the Adams Arms kit to be an "upgrade"?

What problem with your gun will it solve? You need to approach every purchase with a problem in mind. Right now, the training solves the lack of training problem. The Trijicon may solve a problem that is a lack of optics. The biggest difference will be training, and that solves a problem with more than one gun, not just the one you have now.
    I'd rep you if I could. Great point.

(Butler County)

i dont always buy stuff because i have a problem with something.

my thinking on the piston system: i have heard that using steel cased rnds operate smoother with the piston. i buy the cheapest ammo i can find and that usually means its all steel case.

any truth to that?

ive never taken a gun and put everything on it ive wanted, so i figured i would put all the trimmings on this gun since i had a little extra cash.

(Chester County)

+1 for training!
    Ron, USAFSS, NRA, PAFOA

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by cellboothmgr View Post
    i dont always buy stuff because i have a problem with something.

my thinking on the piston system: i have heard that using steel cased rnds operate smoother with the piston. i buy the cheapest ammo i can find and that usually means its all steel case.

any truth to that?

ive never taken a gun and put everything on it ive wanted, so i figured i would put all the trimmings on this gun since i had a little extra cash.
    I have never heard of a piston conversion running smooth, but I also have not looked into it too much. I see you are in Butler County, if you wanna meet up some time I will let you shoot the nastiest steel case you can find through one of my AR's. They all run steel case. My ammo of choice is brown bear which is a lacquered case. It has been fired from 0 degrees up to 100 degrees outside, rain or shine, and not a single hiccup.

I would also add that a piston conversion is not really an upgrade, there is a very small chance that a piston conversion would be an advantage at all really given what people know now, this includes running suppressed and unsuppressed.

But seriously, you can dump a few mags through my gun if you want.
    Jeff Cooper was a huge supporter of gun games, when he was winning them at least...

(Allegheny County)

any truth to that?
    Never heard that before but who knows. Usually, a very tight chamber will cause steel cased ammo to get stuck, some use and cleaning usually solves the problem.

It's your money, do what makes you happy.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

(York County)

i have an RRA that i just upgraded to a quad rail, and quad rail gas block. its a complete flat top. tactical charging handle, crimson trace light/laser combo, caa 6position stock, stark gip with larger trigger guard and single point sling, iron sights from m&p 15-22.

i want to either buy a trijicon tripower or upgrade the gas system to the adams arms system.

i have the money for both but dont really want to spend it right now so im thinking 1 or the other.

any opinions?
    should be a good 12 pound cheeze grater in the kitchen.

no more "deadliest" than a stock rifle.

(Philadelphia County)

I'd say if you wanted your rifle to run "smoother" to put in a heavier buffer. However the russian steel cased ammo is loaded to SAAMI specs and is notorious for being underpowered. You might try swapping in an H or H2 buffer and as long as it doesn't short stroke it'll smooth out the recoil a bit.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

(Schuylkill County)

Go ahead an put on everything you want. Fill up every rail. Run 1 course or match and see what you have left at the end of the course... My vote is for the Tripower. All you need is a comfortable grip, good trigger, good optics and a shit tone of ammo and mags. Then train. Shoot the sucker. You will quickly find out that all that go fast crap and "makes you shoot better" stuff really is just a hindrance. The worst thing it does is add weight. Which is what a piston conversion/upper will do. DI guns run just fine. If you want to see dirty, run a suppressor. They will put crap into the mag. Guess what. Mine still run. Simple usually wins.

Jk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12