Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default Winchester 1300 Magazine tube capacity question.

Pardon my shotgun ignorance. I picked up a nice Winchester 1300 at Coles in Carlisle for a good price. A few imperfections but overall good working order.

What I didn't realize was the magazine is stuck at 2 shells (2 3/4 shells +1 if a round was chambered). I don't mind the capacity but without tearing it down it seems there should be ample capacity for more rounds. Could there be a plug in the tube that can be removed or is a kit required to gain extra capacity?

I bought the gun more to have around for loading and handling training than home defense so a 3 round capacity isn't a big deal to me. It would be nice however to up the capacity in the event it would ever be needed.

Thanks for any direction. Haven't taken it down yet. If anyone has any suggestions on any upgrades and where to buy that would be helpful.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Winchester 1300 Magazine tube capacity question.

YES.. there is a plug in the gun... AFTER MAKING SURE GUN IS IN SAFE, UNLOADED MODE....Simply remove the barrel, take out the retaining clip in the magazine tube ( be careful, the spring is under SOME pressure.). and remove the plug. Replace things in reverse order and you are ready to go.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks for the info. I am guessing it will be under some pressure because of the plug. Will the end cap have the pressure or the press fit washer behind it carry the pressure or potentially both.

(Luzerne County)

There is no more pressure on the spring with or without the plug in. All the plug does is prevent more than two shells from compressing the spring. The retainer is just a pressure fit... I use to use a flat head screwdriver to GENTLY remove it, keeping my hand around the retainer to keep it from flying across the room ( learned from experience on that one...LOL )...

(Cumberland County)

Yanked it out shortly after I made my last post.

In the event others read this looking for the same answer. The metal ring inside the magazine tube is split and is about 5/8ths in long. Its heartier looking out of the gun than it is inside. I used a flat head screw driver and just worked around in a circle until it was out. I kept pressure on the ring with my hand to avoid having parts go flying.

Like schr8 said it is spring loaded. It wont be any pressure that will send a spring shooting through your hand or cause damage but it would be enough to shoot the ring quite far. I would wear safety glasses.

Once out I used the wooden plug to re-seat the metal ring back in. Its the perfect tool for re-installation.

(Monroe County)

Congratulations on the new shotgun. I loved my Winchester 1300 long barrel so much for shooitng skeets that I got the short barreled seven shot model for home defense. Such a nice smooth and fast pump action.

(Luzerne County)

I have had my 1200 pump since the the early 70's.. and I LOVE it... I dont know HOW many rounds I have put thru it and it still works great... I would NEVER get rid of that gun.... I purchased the trap grade gun with a 30" full choke barrel... and purchased a 28" with the screw in chokes to use for hunting.. have taken everything from rabbits, grouse, turkey, duck, goose and deer with it... and hope you have as much fun with yours as I have with mine....

(Perry County)

Not sure why people bad mouth the 1200s and 1300s. I've had my 1300 for 17years. I bought it new when I was 15. I've shot more rabbits and squirrels than I can count. Pheasants, deer, a turkey, a goose, groundhogs, doves and more claybirds than than most people know what to do with. I can only begin to guess how many rounds I've fired out of this shotgun. I've never had any problems with it. None. I have replaced the barrel because I didn't know about choke tube grease when I was younger and the threads rusted pretty bad. I don't know if it was unsafe but I bought a new barrel for it just to be safe. I then had the barrel cut down to 20". On the rib I mounted Williams Fire Sights and now I have a nice slug barrel and a nice upland barrel.

Anyway, sorry for taking over your thread. It's not often I find a thread about the 1300, so I had to spread some praise for it. Enjoy your gun.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

I'm spreadin some praise, too. Got two; love them both. If any of you guys know of some parts suppliers for the 1300, please pass the word along. Does anyone know if the Super X Defender has parts that are interchangeable with the 1300?

Guess I'm doing a little hijacking, myself. Please forgive.

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    I'm spreadin some praise, too. Got two; love them both. If any of you guys know of some parts suppliers for the 1300, please pass the word along. Does anyone know if the Super X Defender has parts that are interchangeable with the 1300?

Guess I'm doing a little hijacking, myself. Please forgive.
    The 1300 is the king in my book for hunting or HD you could couldn't ask for any better (It was a variant of the legendary Winchester 1200 after all).