Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default AR upper reciever action block

how important is it to have one of these when changing uppers? i bought a new flattop upper at the reading show, the guy told me it wasnt too difficult to do. i bought the tool and went on AR15.com and found their step by step directions. they talk about needing an action block. could i just use 2 2x4s, or something else? or am i just better off buying one of these?

and if so anyone want to sell me a used one?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: AR upper reciever action block

I'd just lend you mine if you were closer......

With a decent vise and soft wood you can change a barrel out of an upper without the block.......they are nice to have, though. Try to find a dowel rod that just fits the chamber as a safeguard so you don't collapse the upper......remember...it's just aluminum. You shouldn't really need much pressure.

Lycannobigdealgoslowthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Chester County)

ok well i tried doing this yesterday and everything went smooth unill it got time to take off the barrel nut. that thing is jammed on there tighter then i thought. i tried having someone hold it, tried putting it in a vise with wood blocks(broke the wood when i did that), and i tried soaking it in WD-40 overnight. nothing. anyone got any ideas or is it time to break down and buy an action block?

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by BFit70 View Post
    ok well i tried doing this yesterday and everything went smooth unill it got time to take off the barrel nut. that thing is jammed on there tighter then i thought. i tried having someone hold it, tried putting it in a vise with wood blocks(broke the wood when i did that), and i tried soaking it in WD-40 overnight. nothing. anyone got any ideas or is it time to break down and buy an action block?
    They can be torqued on anywhere from 30 to 80 ft/lbs....you never know. An action block is best, or you can put it in the freezer overnight and then add just a little propane heat to the upper.....not the barrel. Aluminum heats up quick and the barrel steel is slower to transfer. Then wrench on it.

Lycangoodluckthrope

(Northumberland County)

I went through the same thing... ended up buying the block. worked wonders. I also followed the instructions on AR15.com to change out the barrel. The nut wouldnt budge untill I put it in the block, then the whole thing my vise. I tried with soft wood, only ended up in putting two knicks in my upper.
    The block saved me, now I have one if anyone else near needs a barrel change.
    I got mine from Bushmaster, way expensive. Try Brownell's... I think i saw a few in there much less expensive than mine.

(Chester County)

didnt want to make a new topic so i figured id bring this one back.
    i got an action block, put it all in a vice, got my wrench out and the damn nut wont budge. ive tried soaking it in WD40. nothing. my only 2 options i see are to heat it or take it to a gunsmith. if i were to heat it, how would i go about it, a torch? something less hot? how about a gun smith in my area (pottstown). does french creek outfitters do gunsmithing?

(Lawrence County)

didnt want to make a new topic so i figured id bring this one back.
    i got an action block, put it all in a vice, got my wrench out and the damn nut wont budge. ive tried soaking it in WD40. nothing. my only 2 options i see are to heat it or take it to a gunsmith. if i were to heat it, how would i go about it, a torch? something less hot? how about a gun smith in my area (pottstown). does french creek outfitters do gunsmithing?
    It likely has 80ft/lbs on it. PB Blaster found at Auto Zone is superieor to WD 40 for unlocking hard nuts. Take a propane torch and lightly heat it up. PROPANE ONLY. Put your wrench on and bar her with a large pipe or 1" wrench (use teh pipe or wrench to make a longer lever).

Lycan80ft/lbsisaLOTthrope

(Lawrence County)

I didn't specify, but just heat the barrel nut. Do you have a torque wrench?

(Chester County)

no torque wrench, but i will try the PB Blaster and heat. thanks

(Montgomery County)

no torque wrench, but i will try the PB Blaster and heat. thanks
    Hey BFit70, we're neighbors! I'm on the north pottstown border.

I don't know if FCO has a gunsmith on premises, but I do know that Classic Pistol does. They're in Southampton, about an hour drive. The upside is, they're one of the best ranges in the area and will let you do full auto.

Their website is easily found on google if you need directions. I'll probably be there this Sunday in fact!

Let me know if you want to go shooting at FCO one of these days. I know they dont let you fire high-velocity weapons, but normal pistols should be OK from what I've heard.

Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast