Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default gun shop closure act

I got this in my e-mail from GOA, and after I wrote my rep I thought I should post it here so you guys could do the same.
    My larger problem with this type of legislation is the part where they go into our schools. Call me crazy but I pay taxes and I think schools should be for learning the basics of Reading Math Science, you know, school stuff. Not for teaching things I should be teaching at home. Not for sex-ed or firearm safety or any of that other crap.

Oppose Pennsylvania House Bill 1744-- the "Gun Shop Closure Act" threatens all dealers Gun Owners of America E-Mail Alert8001 Forbes Place, Suite 102, Springfield, VA 22151Phone: 703-321-8585 / FAX: 703-321-8408http://www.gunowners.org Monday, November 12, 2007 There's more than one way to shut down the second amendment.Pennsylvania has lost over 9,000 gun dealers in the last twelve yearsto regulations and bureaucratic interference -- leaving less than2,500 active dealers. Now the anti-gunners in Harrisburg have just come up with a new idea:send gun dealers to prison if they fail to notify EVERY customer ofthe anti-gun handgun provisions of Pennsylvania... using languagecreated by the PA State Police as prescribed, verbatim, by the statelegislature. There once was a time when requiring a gun dealer to parrot thestate's anti-gun rhetoric would have been viewed as a violation ofthe First and Second Amendments. But, under House Bill 1744, if a gundealer deviates ONE WORD from what the state instructs him to tellhis customers, he is in violation of the law. IED (Idiotic Education Deception) Pennsylvania Style: This bill alsoprovides a big chunk of taxpayer funds for firearms education inschools, which could go either to NRA or to Sarah Brady's virulentlyanti-gun "star" program. Guess which option the city fathers ofPhiladelphia, among other cities, will chose. In addition schools will be able, and are in fact compelled, to go to"other" funding sources such as non-profit corporations to carry outthis firearm education. This opportunity opens up the minds of ourchildren to the skillful manipulation of institutions like the JoyceFoundation (which pours $-millions into the anti-gun agenda) andothers that are virulently anti-gun. ACTION: There is little time to lose, as a vote is expected thisweek. Please contact your state representative and insist that he orshe oppose HB 1744, the Gun Shop Closure Act. A pre-written message and a House contact roster are provided belowfor your covenience. If you do not know who your representative is,you can go to http://www.legis.state.pa.us and look him or her up viazip code or county.
    ----- Pre-written letter to copy/paste into e-mails -----
    Dear Representative:
    There's more than one way to shut down the second amendment. HB 1744,which has been dubbed the "Gun Shop Closure Act," threatens everylaw-biding gun dealer in the Commonwealth. It should be opposed inthe strongest possible terms. The bill would make criminals out of gun dealers if they deviate evenONE WORD in parroting Pennsylvania's myriad handgun law provisions toEACH AND EVERY customer. As if that weren't enough, HB 1744 also threatens to turn our schoolsinto anti-gun indoctrination centers, and uses taxpayer money to doit. Stating that responsible pro-gun firearms safety initiatives suchas the NRA's Eddie Eagle program may be taught isn't enough. Because, you see, "any other educational program approved by theoffice of the Attorney General" can be funded as well... and choosingwhich one to teach is up to the bureaucrats running the schools. Further, the schools are mandated to seek funding from outsidesources such as the anti-gun Joyce Foundation and to "engage pro-bonoservices from individuals and other entities" in this regard. That opens the door for anyone to be invited to walk into our schoolsand spread the propaganda of citizen disarmament, under the cozyumbrella of "firearm safety education." Please oppose HB 1744.
    Sincerely,
    Last edited by Shawn.L; November 12th, 2007 at 04:47 PM. Reason: form edit

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: gun shop closure act

Yeah, I left that part out cause I figured you can just click on the link to find your rep. http://www.legis.state.pa.us/

Glad I finally beat you to posting something like this !!!

(Berks County)

I have to disagree, I think firearm education can only help. Look how controversial the DARE program was and it has been successful. I realize that gun friendly homes will properly educate their children, but what about those which are not? If, through education, we can prevent young children from picking up a gun and *accidentally* harming another, we should be applauding the effort. Every child (or person for that matter) killed goes against our right to bear arms. Anything we can do to mitigate the damage should be embraced.

I remember taking an NRA firearms course taught by an Allentown police officer (not sure of rank but he was up there). The things I took away from that course were phenomenal and I still remember them to this day. For instance, he loaded a mouse trap and proceeded to pass it around the class. Everyone very carefully passed it to the next. At the end, he said why didn't any of you think to disarm the threat so that no one else might get hurt. Something so simple can have a huge impact and we do need PROPER firearm education in schools.

(Allegheny County)

I would agree that PROPER firearm training would be less offensive, but somehow I doubt that it will be PROPER.
    I dont want to have some big ol argument over this, but, DARE is exceptionally ineffective. I remember having a DARE class in elementary school, and afterward me and all my friends where snorting sugar from pixie sticks.
    My personal opinion is that matters like this should be taught in the home, and that when the gov steps in the fill the gap left by bad parents they only reinforce the problem."why should I have the uncomfortable sex converstation with my kid when he has sex-ed in school." There is no replacement for active parenting. I view schools as a place where my child should learn the basics to help them get into a good school or find a skill that leads to a good job. They spend all kinds of time in these kind of classes and learn little to nothing about our country, our contitution, and our history.

(Allegheny County)

The devil's in the details, IT may sound good but.........

Read this post for more info on HB 1744 and VERY possible negative aspects of this firearm education program. The proposed bill language that is going to be voted on lets it open to the other side to use against US. READ the bill for yourself.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...-nov-14-a.html (HB 1744 House Vote on Nov 14)

This quote really is going to apply to HB 1744

You do not examine legislation in the light of the benefits it will convey if properly administered, but in the light of the wrongs it would do and the harms it would cause if improperly administered.
    Lyndon B. Johnson

Also note the power to administer this so called firearm training program is under direct control of the PA attorney general which now is now occupied by 2nd amendment guy it won’t be always be that way. So keep that in mind when a anti-gun AG person could use this education program in the schools to brain wash your children or grand children that guns are bad - its not that far of a stretch right now in a P.C. world. Maybe a court will decide in a lawsuit that egual time to firearm safety be given to both sides of the issuse - its also really to imagine that happening

here is another post about HB 1744
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/pennsylva...er-update.html

(Jefferson County)

On the surface it seems like an innocuous law (don't they all) but in effect it is forcing individuals to accept that their rights are being violated. Forcing anyone to do something and doing it by threat of possible arrest and imprisonment is not American and I find it unconsionable as well as possibly unconstitutional. It would be like the powers that be telling me I have to stand out on my front porch every evening at dusk and shouting to the world that it is getting dark and if I don't do it and use the exact words they tell me to use I will be arrested and prosecuted. Makes no sense at all when looked at in that light, but it is basically the same, they will be telling these shop owners to tell their customers what they say or risk arrest.

To much interference in our lives every day as it is and this is just another that could not only have an affect on the gunshop owners, but a profound effect on all gun owners as well as non-gun owners. How will this affect non-gunowners? Simple, less shops, less hunting license sales, as well as fishing license sales, less taxes taken in, less revenue for restaurants during the hunting season, less taxes on gasoline taken in from people not traveling to hunt or fish. Motels and hotels and stores that make their main income from this time of year will be hurting. People out of work because the shops may close down, lives ruined by being arrested for failure to speak the words of BIG BROTHER!!!! Sounds far fetched, but Pennsylvaina recieves a billion+$ in annual revenue from hunting season alone, and don't forget all the rest of the year with shooting matches, travel to gun shows, which will be affected by this too.

This is a bad bill all around and it should be fought at every avenue. I received this same email today from GOA and have not only written my own letter to my Rep., I let him know I would be calling his office tomorrow to let him hear my voice and to get his feelings on this issue.

Our rights are being eaten away, one bite at a time by the government and this is a pretty big bite when you look at the total package.

Pooch15825

(Susquehanna County)

For what it's worth, I am glad GOA finally got on the stick about this one. While I trust GOA to keep us informed on the National level, they've been pretty slow at the state level (at least here in PA)

And that is why I believe "we" should support grassroots activities like PAFOA. You should notice that with something on the order of 20 anti-gun bills sitting in the Judiciary Committee, (AFAIK) this is the first one that GOA has commented on and we've already discussed this at least three times in the past right here!

So please, if you haven't already; let your Representative know your opinion on this one. And further yet, be prepared to fight against it in the Senate if neccessary!

(Erie County)

I'm sorry but the whole school brainwashing issue is bunk in my opinion. It really isn't a threat to parents who are willing to teach their kids what school is for and what it isn't. The secret is to teach them first what you feel is right and sow the seeds of distrust in the education system.

Since day one of school and even before I've been telling my son that school is for learning about the basics. It is not and should not be one's total education. School doesn't teach you how to live. I encourage him to focus on the graded subject matter, and ignore the rest if he wants. Take everything that teacher say with a grain of salt and nothing they say as unquestionable truth. They can go ahead and teach firearm safety if they want. It is not going to be graded so I'll encourage him to ignore them. Quite frankly if the goal is to teach him that guns are bad their too late. He already knows better.

He is 7 and has been enjoying the time we spend at the range together. He has been doing a fine job of observing firearm safety and range rules. His shooting skills are improving and just today he asked me if shooting is a sport. I told him it was and he said 'finally a sport I can be interested in'. It nearly brought a tear to my eye. I've told him I'll teach him all I can about shooting and hunting and such and while he has a choice whether he wants to hunt or not he does not have one in learning about safe firearm handling and usage.

(Mercer County)

"I'm sorry but the whole school brainwashing issue is bunk in my opinion."

You make a good point about the importance of teaching kids at home. I couldn't agree with you more.

However, there are many families where guns are not owned and are not a second thought. Thus, there will be no training in guns at home. The only formal gun-related training kids from these families might receive is what is provided in the government schools. The tone of that training might determine whether these kids grow up to be pro-gun or anti-gun voters.

In addition, why should we be forced to pay taxes to subsidize Sarah Brady's agenda?

The way Eddie Eagle is applauded in this legislation, right before the door is left wide open for curriculum that has an orientation that is almost 180 degrees different from Eddie Eagle, should raise red flags; the authors of this bill fully intend a bait and switch.
    PSA
    Pennsylvania Sportsmen's Association
    "Rights, Not Privileges"
    FOAC
    Firearm Owners Against Crime
    PAFOA
    Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    GOA Life Member
    Gun Owners of America

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by Murf_The_Surf View Post
    "I'm sorry but the whole school brainwashing issue is bunk in my opinion."

You make a good point about the importance of teaching kids at home. I couldn't agree with you more.

However, there are many families where guns are not owned and are not a second thought. Thus, there will be no training in guns at home. The only formal gun-related training kids from these families might receive is what is provided in the government schools. The tone of that training might determine whether these kids grow up to be pro-gun or anti-gun voters.

In addition, why should we be forced to pay taxes to subsidize Sarah Brady's agenda?

The way Eddie Eagle is applauded in this legislation, right before the door is left wide open for curriculum that has an orientation that is almost 180 degrees different from Eddie Eagle, should raise red flags; the authors of this bill fully intend a bait and switch.
    I'm generally against further legislation of any nature, unless it is designed to eliminate prior unneccesary legislation which is seldom the case.

Parents need to let their kids know that school is for teaching you skills not how to think.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast