Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Scope Choice

(Blair County)

Default Scope Choice

Mueller Target 8-32x44 S.F. Target Dot 30mm

Osprey Tactical 10-40x50 S.F. Mil Dot 30mm

To mount on a Savage model 11 22-250. No I don't have more than $250 to spend. Will use for groundhog hunting and Factory Class 500yd match. Opinions and or experiences on these scopes appreciated.

Thanks, kdvarmint.

Default Re: Scope Choice

I preface this by saying that I don't have experience with either scope. I have read some things about some scopes from some reliable sources and can pass on what I've read. This isn't as good as first hand experience, but it is probably better than nothing.

The first thing that I'd like to say is that you probably need to stay the heck away from Osprey scopes. I've heard almost nothing good about them besides their "low price". I've heard all kinds of stories about the turrets not adjusting anything. Sometimes they'll hold up to being zeroed and 250 rounds, and sometimes not even that. I've heard people say the first scope they need to get replaced, the reps are happy to help and no big deal. When you need that one replaced (and you probably will), you can't hardly get anybody on the phone or emails returned. When buying a cheaper scope, it's understandable that it might have problems. When this is what you're jumping into, custom service is key, and I've heard pretty bad things about Osprey customer service. I'd just stay away from them all together if I was you. You'd probably have better luck with even a BSA target scope than an Osprey.

From everything I've heard and read, the Mueller scopes aren't terrible. I've heard the glass is usable, and they hold up alright. I've seen several people say things are sort of "weird" on them, and some oddities. One of those things being the number of clicks per turret on some of their tactical scopes. I don't know if this is the case on their target scopes, but I wouldn't put it past them if it's that way on their target scopes. Basically you may bet 7 1/2 MOA per turn on the turrets, which makes things quite weird and a little harder to figure when you go past one revolution on the turret.

Honestly, the scope that I'd probably look at before the Mueller is a Vortex Crossfire. They offer a 8-32x 50mm objective for around $220. The one on midway shows a "fine plex" reticle, and it actually shows a much thicker reticle than the specs on the Vortex website for their "fine v-plex" reticle, so you might look for the "fine v-plex". It also has 1/8 MOA turrets and plenty of travel. The one thing it doesn't have is the side focus(parallax) knob. It has an adjustable objective, which will work just as well, you just have to reach toward the objective lense. I own one Vortex scope (PST 6-24x mi/mil FFP), the glass is good for the money. I've heard that about all of their lines of scopes. Vortex customer service is top notch, and you won't have a problem getting in touch with them, or if you have any problems with the scope.

It's your money, and you can spend it however you like, but I'd have a hard look at the Vortex Crossfire before I looked at the Mueller. You give up the feature of the side focus, but what you lose in features, you may gain in reliability, glass quality, or customer service. I've also never seen something "odd" or as wonky on a Vortex scope as I have on Mueller's. It's also important to remember that when you get into the high magnification that you're looking at, if you skimp on glass, it's going to probably get pretty dark, or just "unusable" in terms of clarity. So you need to go with who you think you'll get the best glass clarity and reliability from in the magnification ranges you're looking at. Just my opinion, but something for you to check out anyway.

(Blair County)

Tomcat088,
    Bought a crossfire 8-32x50 fine plex about 2 months ago for my 308 medium heavy barrel. So I like your advise. Would buy another one, but not sure that it might look a little too big on my hunter model 22-250. That's how I come to look at other options. Thanks for your opinion. I do appreciate it.

kdvarmint.

Ah, well I guess at least you're experienced with the scope and like it. I honestly don't see how the Crossfire would be any larger than the Osprey scope that you were looking at. They both had 50mm objective lenses, and are probably a similar size. It's honestly not that much bigger than the 44mm objective lense on the Mueller.

I can see how they might be a little bit big for a hunter model rifle, but I think it'll appear about the same size as the other scopes you're looking at. I don't disagree with the reticle you're choosing for the intended applications. The other thing to remember is that because you're picking out small targets, resolution is definitely a good thing. If you go with something that will be smaller (40mm objective), you'll be giving up some resolution. This might be acceptable, but it may not. It's just something to think about anyway.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    Ah, well I guess at least you're experienced with the scope and like it. I honestly don't see how the Crossfire would be any larger than the Osprey scope that you were looking at. They both had 50mm objective lenses, and are probably a similar size. It's honestly not that much bigger than the 44mm objective lense on the Mueller.

I can see how they might be a little bit big for a hunter model rifle, but I think it'll appear about the same size as the other scopes you're looking at. I don't disagree with the reticle you're choosing for the intended applications. The other thing to remember is that because you're picking out small targets, resolution is definitely a good thing. If you go with something that will be smaller (40mm objective), you'll be giving up some resolution. This might be acceptable, but it may not. It's just something to think about anyway.
    It's the AO parallex adjustment on the bell that makes the crossfire appear so much larger, and it is about only 1" longer than the osprey but has a "longer look."