Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Love my ACOG

(York County)

Default Re: Love my ACOG

Different models avail at diff prices. I've seen the 4 power scopes as low as $700 but do the research.

Here's the link for starters.....

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...m?categoryID=3

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdo View Post
    They are very nice optics, that's for sure..... but their so dang expensive...... I wish that they could put out a little bit of a cheaper option.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by xbmxracerx View Post
    Different models avail at diff prices. I've seen the 4 power scopes as low as $700 but do the research.

Here's the link for starters.....

http://www.trijicon.com/user/parts/p...m?categoryID=3
    Wow - where have you seen 4x ACOG for $700? New or used? Cheapest I seen 3x new is around $800.

Maybe I should qualify that - it all depends what kind of reticle and illumination you want. You can get a 4x in the 700's but it wont be dual illuminated and it wont have any fancy chevron, horseshoe or other reticle. I'm looking for a Green Horseshoe in 3x, thus my $800 range. But of course it all depends on your tastes.
    Last edited by GeorgeF; December 9th, 2010 at 03:57 AM.

(York County)

I saw some here........

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeF View Post
    Wow - where have you seen 4x ACOG for $700? New or used? Cheapest I seen 3x new is around $800.

Maybe I should qualify that - it all depends what kind of reticle and illumination you want. You can get a 4x in the 700's but it wont be dual illuminated and it wont have any fancy chevron, horseshoe or other reticle. I'm looking for a Green Horseshoe in 3x, thus my $800 range. But of course it all depends on your tastes.

(York County)

Finally got back home to do a 100y zero......reconfirmed out here in Michigan.

100 yards: 92deg: Wind 5-8 mph: 5.56mm American Eagle 55g FMJ
    (This was to reverify the site at a diff range with slightly diff conditions)

Indoor range today to record holdovers at close ranges 25 yards and in with the TA31RCO-M4CP
    I'll take these.....for now

Once the ACOG is zero'ed at 100, the BDC(bullet drop compensator)should be accurate out to 800(for elevation only-windage would be done utilizing the horizontal dashes on the sight(as shown in the very last pic).

15 shots....3 at each range:

@ 25Y, hold was at the 300m post

@ 20Y, hold was just below the 400M dash(around 410)

@ 15Y. hold was just below the 500M dash(around 515)

@ 10Y, hold was just below the 600M dash(around 625)

@ 5Y, hold was at 750M

Last edited by xbmxracerx; September 22nd, 2011 at 10:48 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the update. I am now looking for something for my Rem 700.

Once the ACOG is zero'ed at 100, the BDC(bullet drop compensator)should be accurate out to 800(for elevation only-windage would be done utilizing the horizontal dashes on the sight(as shown in the very last pic).

You'll definitely have to have the right ammunition, and it be very high quality and consistent for you to do much at 800 yards with a .223. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but exactly how do you expect to use the "horizontal" dashes for windage at 600 yards or more? For one thing, the dashes are probably calibrated for particular wind speeds at much closer ranges. With the targets getting smaller, the ratio is no longer the same, and the windage hold won't be the same for those marks at other distances. The other main problem is that you're still probably going to be doing "Kentucky Windage" because the target is going to e much smaller and WAY below those marks. So you're basically going to be holding elevation, and then floating in no man's land for windage. I'm just curious as to what the hashes represent at different yardages, and how they change, and the exact technique to utilize them.

(York County)

Tomcat,

While I've been out of the Military for quite some time now but am still an active shooter, I only posted this as a "reference" tool.

If I was actually shooting more than 500 or above, I think I would get or use a dedicated LRR.

No offense taken by the comment but I thought this site was to provide information, guidance and sweet a$$ gun pics ..........

To answer the other question about the windage.....the horizontal dashes are based on the "mil-dot" scale. The distance in the scope to each dash from the center of the red chevron reticle is 10 mil. They then go in 5 mil incriments out to 55 mil.

From the ACOG book......edited.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

For reference as well:
    I took my last 2 shots at the 200 yard target at the York Rifleman's range in York, PA after the initial zero was complete @ 100 and here they are.....
    [IMG][/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    You'll definitely have to have the right ammunition, and it be very high quality and consistent for you to do much at 800 yards with a .223. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but exactly how do you expect to use the "horizontal" dashes for windage at 600 yards or more? For one thing, the dashes are probably calibrated for particular wind speeds at much closer ranges. With the targets getting smaller, the ratio is no longer the same, and the windage hold won't be the same for those marks at other distances. The other main problem is that you're still probably going to be doing "Kentucky Windage" because the target is going to e much smaller and WAY below those marks. So you're basically going to be holding elevation, and then floating in no man's land for windage. I'm just curious as to what the hashes represent at different yardages, and how they change, and the exact technique to utilize them.
    Last edited by xbmxracerx; September 9th, 2011 at 11:52 AM.

Tomcat,

While I've been out of the Military for quite some time now but am still an active shooter, I only posted this as a "reference" tool.

If I was actually shooting more than 500 or above, I think I would get or use a dedicated LRR.

No offense taken by the comment but I thought this site was to provide information, guidance and sweet a$$ gun pics ..........

To answer the other question about the windage.....the horizontal dashes are based on the "mil-dot" scale. The distance in the scope to each dash from the center of the red chevron reticle is 10 mil. They then go in 5 mil incriments out to 55 mil.

From the ACOG book......edited.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

For reference as well:
    I took my last 2 shots at the 200 yard target at the York Rifleman's range in York, PA after the initial zero was complete @ 100 and here they are.....
    No problem, and I'm glad that you did post up the optic and some information. It's always good to see information and experience with high end optics. There are members with really nice optics on the forum, but we don't always see information posted on them. The goal of the forum is to show off your awesome gear with kick@$$ pics, and to provide guidance and information. The goal is to provide accurate information and good guidance though.

I'm not saying that you are misguiding people because it's a nice scope. I just believe that there's a bit off misinformation being provided about using the windage. The manual doesn't say anything about using the horizontal mil hashes for windage. The manual says it's more for calling positions out, and acting as a measure to relate that information. I can definitely see it as being usable for that. I'm a long range shooter, so I'm quite familiar with the mil scale, and use it all the time. Even if it was in 1 mil increments, being that high above the longer ranges, it would be a bit difficult to use. Because the first marks are 10 mils away, they're pretty much useless when it comes to windage. It's just not a situation that you'd normally be in where you'd need 10 mils of windage, and that's where it starts. Since it has no finer markings than 5 mils, it also makes it just about useless even if it did start closer to the chevron. I'm not trying to bust your balls, I just don't want people thinking that you can use that for windage because the fact of the matter is, pretty much all the time you'll need WAY less windage than even 5 mils. That's pretty much the only thing that I hav a problem with.

(York County)

Again TC.....no offense taken......I know the initial reference of the horizontal dashes might have sounded that way but just for kicks, if I were shooting longer than 500 and had a great spotter if I could not see round impact, I would try to adjust just to see.

Even if I was able to see the round impact and could make that adjustment myself, that would be cool too.

A Marine friend of mine is headed back to the states next month and he will have an LWRC REPR 7.62 waiting for him when he gets back. Can't remember what scope he's got but I can't wait to shoot that.

TC....what LRR do you have and what optics?

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    No problem, and I'm glad that you did post up the optic and some information. It's always good to see information and experience with high end optics. There are members with really nice optics on the forum, but we don't always see information posted on them. The goal of the forum is to show off your awesome gear with kick@$$ pics, and to provide guidance and information. The goal is to provide accurate information and good guidance though.

I'm not saying that you are misguiding people because it's a nice scope. I just believe that there's a bit off misinformation being provided about using the windage. The manual doesn't say anything about using the horizontal mil hashes for windage. The manual says it's more for calling positions out, and acting as a measure to relate that information. I can definitely see it as being usable for that. I'm a long range shooter, so I'm quite familiar with the mil scale, and use it all the time. Even if it was in 1 mil increments, being that high above the longer ranges, it would be a bit difficult to use. Because the first marks are 10 mils away, they're pretty much useless when it comes to windage. It's just not a situation that you'd normally be in where you'd need 10 mils of windage, and that's where it starts. Since it has no finer markings than 5 mils, it also makes it just about useless even if it did start closer to the chevron. I'm not trying to bust your balls, I just don't want people thinking that you can use that for windage because the fact of the matter is, pretty much all the time you'll need WAY less windage than even 5 mils. That's pretty much the only thing that I hav a problem with.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeF View Post
    You need to poke around the various boards, gunbroker, ebay, etc. I picked up a brand new Ta01 for $750 on GB.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast