Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Need some help finding a quality OC holster

I've spent a couple hours poking about the internet looking for a quality and stable OC holster for my Beretta Cougar 8040, but I haven't had much luck. I could really use some suggestions, thanks!

(York County)

Default Re: Need some help finding a quality OC holster

Here are holsters made by Don Hume, specifically for the Beretta 8040 Cougar...

http://www.donhume.com/index.php?mai...Path=67_351_88

And DeSantis...

http://www.desantisholster.com/store...owse&ctg_id=52

And Safariland, through OpticsPlanet...

http://www.opticsplanet.net/safarila...l-3-60-p4.html

And Bianchi...

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...&GunModel=8040

And Galco...

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...&GunModel=8040

I have experience with each of these holster manufacturers over the years and recommend them all, although I am not a huge fan of Galco. Many folks seem to like them though. Good luck!
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by BionicMan View Post
    I've spent a couple hours poking about the internet looking for a quality and stable OC holster for my Beretta Cougar 8040, but I haven't had much luck. I could really use some suggestions, thanks!
    http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/p....aspx?pid=6070

They ain't exactly cheap.

The question is what do you want in a holster? The way I look at it an OC holster should have good, active retention. This isn't because it will stop a bad guy from grabbing your gun. This is because it will aid you in retaining your gun. You need proper retention training. No holster in the world will make your gun grab proof. There are some members here that feel retention in an OC holster isn't important at all. I believe that while retention in the holster itself is somewhat important instruction on how to keep that gun in the holster is wholly more important.

Just my two pennies. All that being said I've open carried with a leather thumb break holster before. Is it the best option? No, but again, it isn't necessarily about the holster, it's about the carrier. The holster is only as good as the guy using it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    The question is what do you want in a holster? The way I look at it an OC holster should have good, active retention. This isn't because it will stop a bad guy from grabbing your gun. This is because it will aid you in retaining your gun. You need proper retention training. No holster in the world will make your gun grab proof. There are some members here that feel retention in an OC holster isn't important at all. I believe that while retention in the holster itself is somewhat important instruction on how to keep that gun in the holster is wholly more important.
    Have to agree and also disagree.

'Retention' (to me at least) is a state of mind. I regularly OC using a Desantis Yaqui ... very sleek and also very 'passive' retention. The fact is no matter what holster you are using your situational awareness, while OC'ing, is the number one priority ... and being overconfident thinking that your holster will cover all the bases is naive at best.

OC'ing requires you to realize at every moment that you have an open weapon that the public can see and yes, maybe a bad guy can grab BUT if your mind is sharp and tuned to that fact retention (as far as a holster) means nothing.

For example ... as I said I regularly OC using a Desantis Yaqui. To some this seems like folly because it appears there is no retention. That being said I know that my weapon can not be drawn in any direction except straight up (have tried it a million times) so when I am in a heavy crowd, or there are those around me that I am unsure of, my arm always covers a good part of the gun and my hand is never more than a few inches away from it.

From my point of view straps, buttons and all the other crap that goes along with some of these so-called retention holsters are nothing more than obstacles that will get in the way when I really need to draw my weapon. The less of them the more focused I am on being able to protect myself in a moments notice.

For all those other times when things are not 'mission critical' I have my mind, my awareness and my conscious thought that I am openly carrying a deadly weapon ..... that's all I need.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Have to agree and also disagree.

'Retention' (to me at least) is a state of mind. I regularly OC using a Desantis Yaqui ... very sleek and also very 'passive' retention. The fact is no matter what holster you are using your situational awareness, while OC'ing, is the number one priority ... and being overconfident thinking that your holster will cover all the bases is naive at best.

OC'ing requires you to realize at every moment that you have an open weapon that the public can see and yes, maybe a bad guy can grab BUT if your mind is sharp and tuned to that fact retention (as far as a holster) means nothing.

For example ... as I said I regularly OC using a Desantis Yaqui. To some this seems like folly because it appears there is no retention. That being said I know that my weapon can not be drawn in any direction except straight up (have tried it a million times) so when I am in a heavy crowd, or there are those around me that I am unsure of, my arm always covers a good part of the gun and my hand is never more than a few inches away from it.

From my point of view straps, buttons and all the other crap that goes along with some of these so-called retention holsters are nothing more than obstacles that will get in the way when I really need to draw my weapon. The less of them the more focused I am on being able to protect myself in a moments notice.

For all those other times when things are not 'mission critical' I have my mind, my awareness and my conscious thought that I am openly carrying a deadly weapon ..... that's all I need.
    I also agree and disagree, but can agree to disagree as well.

Retention is definitely a mindset. Infinitely more important than holster selection. Holsters are like guns. Everyone is different, what works best for me may not work for you. I've OCed wearing a simple leather thumb break and have felt safe knowing if necessary I could keep the gun in the holster. I also bought a top of the line Safariland ALS holster with OC in mind, and have found that it's uncomfortable, and I dislike drawing from it. Thankfully I got a really good deal on it, or I would have been pissed.

In the end OP, the choice is a personal one, but as you can see, there are many, many facets of open carry to take into consideration.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    y ... and being overconfident thinking that your holster will cover all the bases is naive at best.

We have the OC holster discussion a lot here. This is the answer IMHO. The holster is secondary to your mindset.

(Montgomery County)

Check out the Cuda holster from Simply Rugged
    www.simplyrugged.com

Their sourdough pancake holster for revolvers is my choice for an OC (I always carry revolvers). Rob's holsters are fantastic and I have three of them, highly recommended.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Keeping your gun yours is definitely a mindset, a good retention holster will help though. Thats why I prefer to CC. I can recommend Black Hills Leather if you want something built to your specs. The Gunleather is top quality and Rudy Lozano will make anything you want (Pics below). If I was going to OC, I'd probably consider a Blackhawk SERPA holster.

What type of gun are you carrying?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Northampton County)

Thanks for your opinions and suggestions guys, you definitely gave me some things to think about and consider.