Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    _!_ Guest

Default Validity of resident carry permit if move out of state?

I lived in PA, and moved to TX. I had a permit in PA, which of course was a resident permit. In Texas, if you have an out of state permit, they are fine with you carrying with it, until it expires, which at that point you get a Texas one, or you can even renew in the other state as long as it has reciprocity.

So does my permit become invalid if I am no longer a resident of the state? Does it become a non resident permit, does it simply remain the same until it expires? I cannot seem to find anything about this. I would not want to carry on it, then find out it's actually invalid.

I had just renewed my permit before I moved. While it is not a big deal in PA, since you just fill out the form, out in some references, and pay a small sum, in TX it's a bit different. It's quite expensive...like $150, plus you have to take a class that takes up a full day, from 7am to 7pm, and then you have to taking a shooting proficiency test. So not having to do all that for a few years would be nice.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Validity of resident carry permit if move out of state?

IANAL, but:
    This seems like it would be pretty cut and dry.

A "resident" permit (regardless of the state of issue) is ONLY a "resident" permit while you are legally a "resident" of the issuing state. That said, no. There is no provision that automaticall makes your "resident" permit a "NONresident" permit if your residency status changes. IMO, one you change your residency status, the permit is now a null permit. You need to apply for a resident permit from your current state and/or a non-resident permit from all others.

I can't imagine either state seeing it any differently.

I'll give you what I think is the right answer, but some of the other guys probably know a little more about this than I do. Your PA permit may not be valid, because I know in PA, you must have a carry license from your current state of resident to get a non-resident one (except for IL and WI due to no issue), and you are currently a TX resident, not PA. However, there may be some sort of grace period I am unaware of. Do you happen to have a license from another state, like FL or NH? If you do, you can use those to carry in TX. If not, I guess my advice would be not to carry until you get the TX license, just to be absolutely safe. I find that PA is a gun friendly state generally, but I wish they would issue to non-residents w/o a requirement for a license from your home state (WI and IL exempt), because if you live in a may issue state, like MD, where it is almost impossible to get a license, PA will not issue you one. Fortunately, I live in a shall issue state, so for me, getting my non-resident PA license was not much hassle. I just went up to Erie County one afternoon, and applied, since I was headed out there that day anyways.

(Philadelphia County)

I would think this is more of a question of whether Texas allows it than what PA does.

Since you are not required to update your address on your permit when you move in state, I don't see why you would if you moved out of state. Basically, the permit is issued to you, and it is good until it expires. For all they know you'll be moving back before it does.

If Texas is fine with that, I don't see the problem.

Keep in mind, I do not know the answer to this question, that is just my best personal guess based on what I know about how PA's system works.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

_!_ Guest

ok, that seems pretty clear cut, the part about not being able to get a license without one from your current state. But I guess I think, well, sure I couldn't get one, but I already have one...almost like some sort of grandfather clause. Surely though smartest thing is to just get a TX permit, which I will do soon. A friend of mine down here needs on anyway, so we could just make a day of it together.

Most people would be suprised that in many ways, PA is more gun friendly than TX. Of course I would say gun culture is more accepted down here, in the sense that coworkers wont give you funny looks if you talk about your new guns, like most of urban PA. But, their license restrictions are harder. There are strange off limits places, like places that derive more than 50% of their income from alcohol. And of course their carry license is much more involved...a shooting test, classroom instruction, etc. One thing I DO like is that I can get the license on my own merit, not on the references of others. I had trouble with picking my references, even had to use someone out of state, since I lived in a very liberal part of PA(suburb of Philly).

Also, there is no open carry, so if you are out hiking or something, open carry is a no no, and you can't carry in state parks. There are attempts to repeal this stuff, and the governor is behind allowing a permit holder to carry anywhere and everywhere, but nothing has happened yet.

One thing I do like though is private party sales. You can just sell a gun from one person to another with no paperwork, FFL needed, etc. Makes buying guns a lot cheaper.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    ...If Texas is fine with that, I don't see the problem.
    I do. Texas is only going to honor a valid out of state permit.
    He is not moving in state he is moving out of state. Once his residency changes to TX he is no longer a PA resident, therefor his PA resident permit is not valid.

_!_ Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    I would think this is more of a question of whether Texas allows it than what PA does.

Since you are not required to update your address on your permit when you move in state, I don't see why you would if you moved out of state. Basically, the permit is issued to you, and it is good until it expires. For all they know you'll be moving back before it does.

If Texas is fine with that, I don't see the problem.

Keep in mind, I do not know the answer to this question, that is just my best personal guess based on what I know about how PA's system works.

To the general police officer, they would look at it and say "ok". But if they were to call the sheriff on the back, would they say "wait, he lives there now?". "It's expired then", and I am looking at a gun charge.

I guess I could just call the sheriffs office, and if they want to expire it on me, then fine, but maybe they will say it's ok. If I dont know the right answer, I will not carry on it, so its not doing me any good any way. But see, I don't trust my sheriffs office, cause they gave me paperwork when I got my permit that said "YOU CANNOT CARRY OUTSIDE THE STATE OF PA". I realize they do this so people don't carry into Jersey, but there is a whole list of states with PA reciprocity, and they did not give that list. So I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't really know the answer and just said "nope it's not valid".

I kinda figured as long as I had a PA drivers license and a PA permit, I was cool, but I now have a TX drivers license, indicating I am a TX resident, so they would look more carefully at the situation. If I handed a cop down here a PA license and a PA permit, probably no questions asked.

(Luzerne County)

I would not ask the sheriff. As you already experienced, they rarely know that the heck they are talking about.

_!_ Guest

Does anyone know who would be the best people to contact regarding this? PA website, etc.

(Pike County)

Just go to you’re local gun shop or range and ask them, they will be most knowledgeable and friendly. When I was visiting in TX last July, I shot at several ranges in Dallas with my brother-in-law and asked many questions. They are very friendly and will answer all you through at them.

Check out www.gunbroker.com for a bunch of good info under their FAQs.
    Last edited by Charlie B; November 12th, 2007 at 12:55 PM.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid-a-hand on.
    I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them. - John Wayne - The Shootist

Many of the truths we cling to... depend greatly on our own point of view. - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast