Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Best way to sell long guns?

I inherited my dad's guns, but don't know much about them. I am learning about handguns and plan to use them, but I don't think I will use the long guns. I want to sell them, but don't know how to get started - I don't even know what they are.

Where can I get them identified and evaluated? What is the best what to sell them? Since I don't need a FFL to transfer them, might we do better selling them on consignment in a gun shop, or advertising them elsewhere and selling F2F? Where are good places to consign them in Berks?
    Liberal female handgun owner. Newbie. Need skills, practice, gun savvy.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Best way to sell long guns?

I figured out a little. I have:

Winchester Model 12 - 16 gauge
    Winchester Model 12 - 12 gauge
    Stevens Model 39A - .410 bolt action
    Unmarked rifle with what looks like handmade parts
    Broken muzzle-loader - barrel detached - also looks handmade

(Chester County)

You can try looking on gunbroker to see what similar condition pieces are going for. Perhaps someone with a bluebook will be along shortly to give you an idea of the value.

(Berks County)

I don't know how to evaluate the condition of these guns. I can find the same gun on gunbroker, and see that I could get anywhere from $100 to $700 for it. Not a clue how to approach the ones that don't have names on them. All I can say is "This is a rifle, I think, since it is not a shotgun."

I was hoping for some advice about where to take them to have someone check them out. Do they work? How do I clean them up for sale? I guess I need to just go to places that take consignment and see what they have to say. Or even to just get advice about which one to keep, if I was going to keep a shotgun.

Can you take guns to gun shows and ask dealers to look at them? Or do they just sell guns at shows? I have never been to one. I saw a billboard for a gun show in KOP on Nov 6-7.

I wouldn't take several long guns to a gun show, the dealers have limited time to sell, the good ones won't be able to indulge you. And a lot of gun shows have become very cutthroat, with very high prices demanded in the hope of finding that one ignorant buyer.

There are good and bad gun shops out there. One that I trust is American Arms and Ammo on Route 309 in Colmar, above Montgomeryville. They can either buy them from you or consign them, and at the least they will tell you honestly what they might be worth at wholesale and at retail.

(Chester County)

You can take them to a gun show to sell or possibly have them appraised, though it could be hit or miss on finding a reputable dealer. You may want to post this in the shotgun forum instead of the Berks forum. The Berks region forum probably doesn't get as much traffic. I'm sure someone here can help you figure out the condition, just be patient.

(Berks County)

You can take them into one of your local gun shops, like Stony Creek Outfitters.

They can either consign them for you or will buy them from you, if they think they can re-sell them and make some money. It's just like selling a car...if you sell it to a dealer, you usually get less money than selling it yourself. I don't know what or if they would charge for an appraisal.

http://forum.pafoa.org/berks-26/1017...-now-open.html

You can also take it to an auction house and have them auctioned off.

I recommend Horst Auction in Ephrata.

http://www.horstauction.com/

They have a gun auction next Saturday and almost every first Saturday of the month.

Quote Originally Posted by xotech View Post
    You can take them into one of your local gun shops, like Stony Creek Outfitters.

They can either consign them for you or will buy them from you, if they think they can re-sell them and make some money. It's just like selling a car...if you sell it to a dealer, you usually get less money than selling it yourself. I don't know what or if they would charge for an appraisal.

http://forum.pafoa.org/berks-26/1017...-now-open.html

You can also take it to an auction house and have them auctioned off.

I recommend Horst Auction in Ephrata.

http://www.horstauction.com/

They have a gun auction next Saturday and almost every first Saturday of the month.
    Gun auctions can get high bids, but be sure that you understand the total costs. A lot of auction houses will charge the seller a percentage, maybe 20%; then they also charge a "buyer's premium" to the buyer, which could be another 10% or more. Then there's sales tax and PICS fees for the background check, which would be incurred through any FFL but not for any private sales of long guns.

Bottom line, if someone is willing to pay $1,000 to end up with your gun at an auction, you might only see $700 of it.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Gun auctions can get high bids, but be sure that you understand the total costs. A lot of auction houses will charge the seller a percentage, maybe 20%; then they also charge a "buyer's premium" to the buyer, which could be another 10% or more. Then there's sales tax and PICS fees for the background check, which would be incurred through any FFL but not for any private sales of long guns.

Bottom line, if someone is willing to pay $1,000 to end up with your gun at an auction, you might only see $700 of it.

I think Horst charges a 20% consignment fee on each item, if you have only a few items, and not a whole estate. There isn't any buyer's premium at Horst Auction, thus it tends to generate higher prices for the seller. (Even above GunBroker prices.) The buyer does have to pay sales tax and PICS fee, unless they are an FFL. So yes, if someone is willing to pay $1000 for one of your long guns at Horst Auction, you would only see $800 of it.

A gun shop, on the other hand, might give you 50% of "Blue Book" value, or whatever their formula dictates for making money on used firearms.

And if you want to try another "gun shop", Cabela's will buy your long guns too!
    Last edited by xotech; October 29th, 2010 at 09:24 PM. Reason: sales tax