Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How satisfied are you?

So, I'm thinking of plunging into the world of revolvers when I'm less poor again. I want a stainless Ruger GP100 in .357 with the 6 inch barrel. Sounds like a great deal for $515. There's no way I'm spending double that on a S&W for essentially the same gun. I'd consider a Taurus, but I see all of the posts here about how some bullshit happened to someone's Taurus whatever and the entire thing ended up being a waste of time.

So I have a few questions about the Ruger.
    First: What type of mount does the rear sight use? Is it a standard Dovetail like a Pistol?
    Second: Have you ever had any issues with the GP100? Even if its just the blueing wearing off?
    Finally: How satisfied are you with the Ruger? Against, say a Colt Python, or a S&W K frame?

Just to mention it, I like the hogue rubber grips that come on the new guns better than the ones with the wood insert.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

Default Re: How satisfied are you?

I had a GP100 that was blued and sold it to fund some other things. It was a fine pistol, but can't be put into the same class as a Python. Trigger on a Smith will be much better. I would not deter you from getting a Ruger.
    Jules

(Wayne County)

I've heard lots of great things about the Ruger and when I was in your shoes I was about to make the same choice. Bu then I found a used S&W 686+ for the same ballpark price of a new Ruger. I think if you keep looking you can find a good price on a S&W.

Don't listen to the "Retail Prices" Smith and Wesson sets, they can be had for a lot less than retail.

Happy Hunting

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Rear sight?? You see that hump on the top strap, just ahead of the sight? That hump has a channel milled in it from back to forward, the sight is set in there, and is drilled and pinned at the front, with an elevation screw at the rear. That controls "elevation"

"Windage" is controlled (or "corrected", if you will) by a screw in the base at the rear of the sight that moves the blade which bears the notch to either the left or right.

Triggers on the Smiths will be a whole order of magnitude better, but the Rugers can be worked to "acceptable" though it is not an easy kitchen-table job.

I concur with MikeD22, shop around for the Smith, and if you know what you are looking at, you may find the Smith of your dreams somewhere used. At a significantly less price than MSRP.

Flash
    "The life unexamined is not worth living." ....... Socrates

(Allegheny County)

I owned a blued one briefly. I did not care for the feel or fit & finish compared to my older S&W's. However, they are built to withstand the hottest loads and a lot of people love them. Just wasn't my cup of tea.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Flash View Post

Triggers on the Smiths will be a whole order of magnitude better, but the Rugers can be worked to "acceptable" though it is not an easy kitchen-table job.

I concur with MikeD22, shop around for the Smith, and if you know what you are looking at, you may find the Smith of your dreams somewhere used. At a significantly less price than MSRP.

Flash
    I have to agree. A used 686 might be just the ticket.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Delaware County)

Recently I picked up a GP100 6" SS in .357 magnum.

The rear sight is as Flash describes.

I do like it alot but there were a couple disappointments with the firearm, albeit minor.
    The brushed finish was a bit uneven and the trigger felt a little gritty at first.
    good cleaning for the trigger group and all was right.
    I'm considering putting a high polish on the revolver but for now it is still brushed.

I went through the same decision process regarding S&W. When I was looking to buy, I couldn't find a brand new comparable S&W at Ruger's price point. The 'lock' issue is a whole thread within itself. Personally, I like a revolver without a lock. That immediately put me in the used S&W vs brand new Ruger debate. Honestly, I had a hang up for a brand new revolver. In my searching, I found only a small amount of bad experiences with a Ruger ... and these experiences turned positive after the person contacted the company. My rationale may seem a bit odd, but those really were the deciding factors for me because both revolvers are built to last. It's hard to pick between the two, really.

As far as the Colt... I agree with ar15jules. That's a whole new level.

(Lehigh County)

I have a sp101 sbubby with bobbed hammer built like a tank honestly great gun just very heavy depending on what you do with it that might not be a factor
    Have you called, faxed, or emailed your reps today!!!

(Delaware County)

Thumbs up Wheelguns!

Getting into wheelguns... Nice!!

Don't pass up a chance to handle Single Actions. I've got S&W double actions, pricey but fantastic shooters. That said, there is a lot of shooting satisfaction to be had from a sweet Ruger Blackhawk or Super Blackhawk. Good looks, excellent mechanics and accurate.

Heck nearly all my Smiths, I shoot single action anyway. (no trigger jobs)

I can't help you on the GP100, I never fired one. They look nice though.

Looks like I might be the minority here saying this, but I say go for it.

I have had one for nearly 4 years now. The trigger initially wasn't the best, but it smoothed out quickly with some dry-firing. This was my first pistol (stainless with the 6" barrel and old 'wood-insert' grips), so I spent a lot of time practicing trigger pulls. After a few hundred, the trigger was great. Smooth as I have ever felt, but I won't say I am an expert on great DA-pulls (my others are CZ's...).

SA though, has always been very good. Crisp, no take-up and almost no over-travel (I think those are the right terms). However, again, my other handguns are CZ's.

I really like it. I like the balance of the long barrel with the full shroud. Weight keeps recoil to a minimum. Built like a tank (closer to 'built like they expect you are going to run it over with a tank'). Accuracy-wise...much more accurate than I am. I do want to try one of the newer grips though. Sadly, most of my money goes into shotgun-related events.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast