Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Slide Release Question

I was shooting my P89 9mm at the range today. Normally when the slide is open and I drive a magazine in the gun the slide remains open until I use the slide release button.

Today, when the slide was open and I drove a magazine into the gun the slide automatically shut, without me using the slide release (it automatically locked and loaded).

It did not do the above every time, only when I drove the magazine home with some force. I just thought the slide should stay open until I use the slide release no matter how much force I were to use to drive the magazine home. Could it be a possibility that I oiled the gun too much? (I try to clean and oil as recommended in manual)

Any ideas? Should I have the gun looked at? or Is this fairly common?

Thank you in advance as usual!
    Μολών λαβέ

(Centre County)

Default Re: Slide Release Question

my M&P does that

I was originally thinking that its a mulfuction until I called S&W which they told me it supposed to do that(in emergency situation, you'd slam new mag, then slide would return to battery on its own, hense 1 less thing you have to worry about).

which make sense.

But some M&P do not do that no matter how hard you slam new mag in. So i donno.
    I just practice slamming my mag in during mag change so that I'll be use to it.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Washington County)

All 3 of the Bersa handguns I have do that, and they're actually designed to do it. At least with the Bersa's, there's no question that it should automatically go into battery when a new mag is 'firmly seated' into it and if it wasn't doing it, then I would know that there was an issue

As for your P89, if you take a look at page 19 of the instruction manual, which can be located on Ruger's site here: http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/PDF/In...Manuals/02.pdf
    in the section on "To Reload The Pistol", it says:

2. Insert a loaded magazine. WARNING: The slide stop is spring-loaded to move
    downward. Therefore, when there is a loaded magazine in place and the pistol
    is jarred, the slide can fly forward and chamber a cartridge. For this reason
    and as an essential safety practice, the safety of the pistol should always be
    fully “on” except when the user is positioned to fire the gun at a selected target.

I don't know if that helps or not, but after reading that, I'd think that firmly seating a fresh magazine would be cause of why it's going into battery.

(Lawrence County)

When I seat a mag hard and the slide slams home.......I only think one thing:

BONUS!

The slide going foward in this instance is less violent than during the normal firing cycle.

She'll be just fine.

Lycanyoushouldhaveshottheswingerstage!thrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    Lycanyoushouldhaveshottheswingerstage!thrope
    It was 12:40 when I was down there, and being that at the previous shoots I've been to they've had the shotgunners wait until the end of the day, I opted for some quality time with the pink pump shotgun instead. I absolutely love that thing! I swear, if I could, I'd carry it instead of a handgun

Colanoimnotkiddinggrrl

(Montgomery County)

also remember, the slide STOP is not really a slide RELEASE, even though it functions as such in most cases.

always train with your gun by inserting a mag, and then manually "slingshot' the slide home by pulling back, and letting go.

its not going to hurt the gun, and its the proper way to do it....you may be in a situation where you cant reach it, are wounded, or just cant manipulate the slide stop easily, especially in a stress situation
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    also remember, the slide STOP is not really a slide RELEASE, even though it functions as such in most cases.

always train with your gun by inserting a mag, and then manually "slingshot' the slide home by pulling back, and letting go.

its not going to hurt the gun, and its the proper way to do it....you may be in a situation where you cant reach it, are wounded, or just cant manipulate the slide stop easily, especially in a stress situation
    Good points, but I'll disagree with some aspects. Using it as a release is much faster during a reload and some guns can't be slingshot.

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.

(Lawrence County)

What ^ he said...
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Lawrence County)

Actually, while running the house today, my Ruger P95 did the same thing. Shocked the heck out of me, but shaved a second off my time most likely... lol

Chazmaneverysecondcountswhenyousuck321
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Allegheny County)

glock advises against using the slide stop as a slide release.

they say it can lead to the little notch in the slide that the slide stop lever engages getting rounded off which can lead to failure to lock back on an empty mag.

i sometimes use the slide stop on my g17 as a release, but generally don't. the slide stop lever is pretty small and it takes a fairly precise movement to release the slide with it. i think under stress, it will be easier to use the gross motor skills invovled with "slingshotting" the slide rather than the fine motor skills involved in hitting the slide stop lever. (this is more of an issue on glocks than many other types of pistols, though, because the glock slide stop lever is so small and tight against the gun).

on my g20, i never use the slide stop as a slide release just because it's nearly impossible to actually do so (as it is very tight against the gun).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast