Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Anyone recylce scrap metal?

I got a bunch of numbers for metal recycling centers. I have some brass fixtures, steel pipes, copper pipes, copper wire, boxes of nails, car parts, etc. I find it hard to believe someone is going to pay me for this junk. Has anyone ever taken metal to a scrap recycling place? Anything I should know or watch out for. What kind of prices do they offer? Is there usually a minimum weight of metal I can take in?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Anyone recylce scrap metal?

I work in commercial trucking, when someone would wipe out a truck, party at the scrap yard for me. Last time this happened a wheel was worth $30, a radiator $50, and so on. Aluminum, copper and brass are where you are going to make money, steel isn't worth much. Prices vary, not sure how often, daily or weekly, prices were high last time I did it.

I've made thousands recycling, all cash, no paper trail, no taxes, do it! Only tip I can give you is make sure you separate everything so it is clean, like if an aluminum piece has a steel bolt in it, take the bolt out.
    http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y38/hovisimo2/sunsetpatrolresizedcopy.gif

(Somerset County)

carterbeauford's right, make sure that there's no contamininating metals mixed in with the base metal you are taking to the scrap yard.

Seperate the stuff as much as possasble, the "cleaner" the stuff is, the more it's worth.

One little issue though, lately most reputable scrapyards are demanding ID, especally when bringing in large quanities (over 10 pounds or so) of copper wire or plumbing copper. Seems that theves are gutting stuff that's not theirs for the copper. One the yard folks get to know you, that isn't a problem, but, theres days it's CYOA (cover your own ass) where metals comes in.
    This space open for sponsorship

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by carterbeauford View Post
    I work in commercial trucking, when someone would wipe out a truck, party at the scrap yard for me. Last time this happened a wheel was worth $30, a radiator $50, and so on. Aluminum, copper and brass are where you are going to make money, steel isn't worth much. Prices vary, not sure how often, daily or weekly, prices were high last time I did it.

I've made thousands recycling, all cash, no paper trail, no taxes, do it! Only tip I can give you is make sure you separate everything so it is clean, like if an aluminum piece has a steel bolt in it, take the bolt out.
    I just have random crap though, albeit of a valuable metal such as copper. Is there a minimum? Will they give me money for a few copper pipes I bring in, or do I need a bunch. And even if steel isn't worth much, I don't want what I have and I don't want to contribute to more trash if someone else could use it and earn me a buck in the process.

Since you mentioned trucks, what do you think an old saab catalytic converter would get me. It has platinum in it, like they all do.

And since this is a gun forum, how about all those rusted and eroding casings at gun ranges. There are thousands of spent casings that can no longer be reloaded but are still brass. Do these recycling people care about the condition of the metal? I assume they just melt it down anyway/
    Last edited by Jackal; November 11th, 2007 at 10:33 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    I just have random crap though, albeit of a valuable metal such as copper. Is there a minimum? Will they give me money for a few copper pipes I bring in, or do I need a bunch. And even if steel isn't worth much, I don't want what I have and I don't want to contribute to more trash if someone else could use it and earn me a buck in the process.

Since you mentioned trucks, what do you think an old saab catalytic converter would get me. It has platinum in it, like they all do.

And since this is a gun forum, how about all those rusted and eroding casings at gun ranges. There are thousands of spent casings that can no longer be reloaded but are still brass. Do these recycling people care about the condition of the metal? I assume they just melt it down anyway/

As a plumber, I get to the scrapyard a few times a year. I think I heard yesterday that #1 copper is getting $2.70/lb and # 2 copper @ $2.30 or so/ lb.

If you scrap copper wire and have the time, strip the cover off.
    if you scrap plumbing pipes, cut off any fittings or anything with paint, solder or loaded with debris inside.

Yellow brass (called faucet brass by some places) should have old tin or steel or pot metal escutcheons removed or pot metal handles removed to get the best price.

If you have a truck and get a fair amount of steel, it can be worth your time and get you gas money. Certain steel like auto parts hoods fenders and such are considered baling scrap and doesn't get the same money as clean steel such as I beams.

Cast iron gets more than steel.

You should be able to get a list of pricing that recyclers pay for scrap and it changes weekly in some areas.

I have to cut this short or I may be labeled a post whore. (nice sig line Tsgtbob)

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

(Somerset County)

WARNING!!!
    THREAD HIJACK ALERT!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post

I have to cut this short or I may be labeled a post whore. (nice sig line Tsgtbob)

27hand
    Thank you.

OK

Back to the discussion at hand (pun intended)

Cats bring between 10 and 15 bux, BUT, many have been "punched" (meaning the platinum had been removed when the cat clogged) which makes 'em nothing more that clean P&S steel. (which brings around $8 per hunndredweight @ Kantner Iron and Steel in (where else) Kantner Pa.
    This space open for sponsorship

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tsgtbob View Post
    WARNING!!!
    THREAD HIJACK ALERT!!!!!

Thank you.

OK

Back to the discussion at hand (pun intended)

Cats bring between 10 and 15 bux, BUT, many have been "punched" (meaning the platinum had been removed when the cat clogged) which makes 'em nothing more that clean P&S steel. (which brings around $8 per hunndredweight @ Kantner Iron and Steel in (where else) Kantner Pa.

i actually buy scrap metal and automotive parts. if anyone has any automotive batteries, catalytic converters, aluminum rims, etc. and you're in the lancaster area, let me know - if you have a real big load we can even pick the stuff up as far as an hour or so away..........we pay better than most scrap yards do...... and we pick it up........
    Retired LEO, FFL Holder

(Adams County)

Ok Punisher, since you are in the business, what are the good items to get? I guess catalytic converters is one. Batteries another?

I took 3 washers and a dryer to scrap once, a few batteries, 3 bicycles. I got about $60.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Chester County)

Aright, good info all. Makes me kick myself for throwing away some of the things I have...

Anyhow, I still have this question. What about rusted/corroded shell casings at the range, could someone use these? Also, what about the TONS of lead downrange from spent shots? There is also the jackets from the shots that might be laying around, which is I believe predominantly copper. Would a scrap yard take this stuff? It has to have value still, especially the lead.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by jh664322 View Post
    Aright, good info all. Makes me kick myself for throwing away some of the things I have...

Anyhow, I still have this question. What about rusted/corroded shell casings at the range, could someone use these? Also, what about the TONS of lead downrange from spent shots? There is also the jackets from the shots that might be laying around, which is I believe predominantly copper. Would a scrap yard take this stuff? It has to have value still, especially the lead.
    You would have to call the scrap yard you are dealing with to see if these casing would be accepted and what $ they would pay( it would be per hundred pounds) and I am thinking (but do not know) it would be bought as baling scrap which is on the lowest quality of steel. If you remove the primers, you could get yellow brass price for those. sorry for being a smartass.

The lead may be accepted but I think is on the list of toxic materials, so once again, get specifics from the place you want to deal with. If the jackets are on them, they may give you more or less dependent on if they can seperate the two.

I'm not sure they would give you #1 for the jackets but the best advice I can give is to call a few places and ask all these specific questions. Your answers may vary quite a bit depending on if they want to deal with mixed material.

hope this helps.

27hand
    Opinions are like anal apertures. They all stink but mine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast