Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sig Sauer P290

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Sig Sauer P290

poppa like

(Lancaster County)

I think it's great that a popular manufacturer is addressing the need for a subcompact 9mm, I just wish it was DA/SA, or at least had a manual safety.

I know, I know, nobody likes the manual safety...well, for a true concealed carry weapon--I do. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind not having one if I'm carrying openly, I have zero issues carrying a Glock in a holster on my belt. But when we're talking about a weapon that is concealed, often under layers of clothing that will only be reached for in a high-stress situation I want either a striker fired with a safety, or a DA/SA with a really heavy DA pull.

The 4.5-5 lb pull described on the P290 does not fit that bill. It makes it heavy enough to be irritating to shoot but too light for me to feel comfortable stuffing under my clothes.

If this comes out in the sub $400 range, I think it could be a big seller. Otherwise I just don't see people jumping all over it. Few people are going to drop typical Sig prices for a gun that will surely be unpleasant to shoot when there are other options (Kel-Tec, LCP) at significantly lower price points. Sure, those options are unpleasant to shoot as well, but keeping an extra $200-$300 in the wallet makes them easier to swallow.

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan1 View Post
    I wouldn't say "suspect at best" unless you are refering to the mosquito (and I'm not even sure that sig actually makes the mosquito themselves). Everyone harps about their quality not being as good as with the older german made sigs, and I'm not going to disagree. However, it does seem like the vast majority of sig owners are happy with their purchace. The decline in QC seems to be VASTLY overstated on the forums (not just on this forum).
    +1 on that.
    Put it this way, The secret service, the national park service, the bureau of land management, the navy criminal investigative service and host of others issue a new P229 standard model to every agent or LEO. The documented failure rate is very low, even by modern standards. If the quality is slipping, its not really affecting the failure rate. At least not in the hundreds of thousands of rounds that federal agents fire in training, practice and duty. The failure rate is not statistically higher than that of a Glock 17 or 22.
    The M1. Smackin' the bastards since 1932.

(Philadelphia County)

I like my Kahr DAO, no reason I won't like the Sig if it's trouble free.

Looks like a solution to a non-existent problem, unless they really, truly resent not having a me-too entrant in every possible product class. I'd say no and just shop around for a gently used, well-appointed P239 if it has to be a SIG.

Hell, even the drawn-out, boring gear flogger goonie extraordinaire seems to think that it's the shit in certain niches ...

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by King 5.45 View Post
    ...the drawn-out, boring gear flogger goonie extraordinaire...

Woah..... I may have just pulled something laughing at that. So true.

Here's a 55 minute video on the Kel Tec P3AT... What do you do with the last 50 minutes? Jeez.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

I am not expecting much. I was so excited for the P250 but that turned into a flop in my opinion.

I'll keep my XD9SC for primary and Sig P238 for BUG.

At least it's a 9mm.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001
    ...You can join the "Pennsylvania Association of Pointy-Stick Owners"...

(Montgomery County)

For those saying it should have been a DA/SA - Please show me where on the exterior of this tiny gun the decock lever/button would fit. Where it wouldn't be completely engulfed by your hand while shooting.

Then, please show me where on the interior of the gun the mechanism would fit, while still allowing for a super thin and concealable grip.

It won't. There's a reason why most pocket pistols are any configuration other than DA/SA. Just no room for the decocking device on such a small gun.

I like my DA/SA Sig's as much as the next guy, but it simply isn't an option in a gun this small.... Plus, I think for a pocket pistol, DAO operation is preferable to any alternative (cough P238 cough)....

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; October 28th, 2010 at 09:46 AM. Reason: add a smilie ;)

(Cambria County)

I never liked DOA until I got my Kahr. I will stick with what I have. It works great, carries great, and always hits what I aim at.
    These are the times that try men's souls: The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Thomas Paine 1776

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast