Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Default Perhaps a gun raffle for gnbrotz

edit:12/19
    please read
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...tml#post159785

I'm not sure where to post this but let's see if this has legs.

OK maybe I'm nuts, but here it goes.

Perhaps with the help of a few here I/we can pull this off. I'm thinking of perhaps raffling off a new gun to raise funds. Something in the $500 range. I would be willing to front the cash, if enough people are interested, for $10 or $20 a chance.

I'm just throwing out ideas here, but if someone on the forum with an FFL could perform the purchase and transfer to the winner I could supply the funds for the purchase. I'm thinking advance orders with numbers assigned as pm's are received. Assuming a minimum of orders are received to cover the cost of the purchase, and so forth, a raffle ticket/tickets would be entered for a drawing. All involved would be ineligible. I know this would take a lot of trust by PAFOA members, but I am pathetically honest. If 100 people for $20 a pop were interested in winning a Glock or something about $1,500 or more could be raised fast. This would take a while to organize, but the money ultimately will go to a good cause. The way I see it once gnbrotz gets his permit back, and he should, there should be money left over to finace the justifiable shit storm to rain down over Franklin county.

edit:
    please read

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...tml#post135501

edit:11/13
    please read
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...tml#post135283

Any thoughts are encouraged. I'm just trying to do my part.

edit: updated info

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...tml#post134715

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/general-2...tml#post135093
    Last edited by God's Country; December 19th, 2007 at 02:51 PM. Reason: updated info:
    FUCK BIDEN

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Perhaps a gun raffle for gnbrotz

Bump.

GC, sent you a PM on this

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post

. . . let's see if this has legs . . . I'm thinking of perhaps raffling off a new gun to raise funds.
    It seems to me that this should be pretty easy to test.

Let's stipulate that one chance = $10, two chances = $20 and so on.

If you can get 50 people to respond to this question (presumably in this thread), you are good to go.

The question is --- What gun would you be willing to take a $10 chance on?

Say that the respondents list 10 different gun models in aggregate. If your FFL can confirm availability of all 10 (or however many are available), then you raffle off a chance to win one of the listed guns. Whoever wins then has to pick from the list and also be eligible for the FFL transfer.

If you don't get 50 responses in a few days, the idea is probably not going to fly. Although the FFL transfer is probably straightforward, can anyone comment on the legal constraints of holding a raffle? For now, let's consider this a straw poll and I'll suggest the following format (initially in the ~$500 range).

01 - Glock 19 in 9mm (Vortex, )
    00 - Make and Model B ( )
    00 - Make and Model C ( )
    00 - Make and Model D ( )
    00 - Make and Model E ( )

This signifies that I would be willing to participate for a chance at a Glock 19. If the next person is also interested in a Glock 19, they would increment the running count from "01" to "02" (and so on) and then add their handle inside the parenthesis (comma separated). If you are not interested in a Glock, then edit the list to add your model of interest and start the count at "01". If each person responds by quoting just the last posted list and updating it with their preference, you should have an answer pretty soon.

After all, some people average almost 10 posts a day and I'm certainly not one to point fingers.

Please remember that at this point I think GodsCountry is just trying to quantify the level of interest and this "survey" is completely non-binding. Including handles just helps to keep track if posts update "out of order". More formal rules should probably be set forth if it turns out there is a suitable level of interest.

Any thoughts are encouraged. I'm just trying to do my part.
    GodsCountry, I think you'll get more people to participate if people can pick from a list. It would also solve the up front money / price limit issue. Still, if you disagree with this approach please feel free to modify as necessary.

One more thought, you can add or remove additional magazines if you want all the guns to have approximately the same cash value. Also, be clear if the FFL transfer fee is included in the raffle or an out of pocket expense to the winner.

The way I see it once gnbrotz gets his permit back, and he should, there should be money left over to finance the justifiable shit storm to rain down over Franklin county.
    +1000 (did I ever mention [laws] randomly enforced?)
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Montgomery County)

check PAs raffle laws, many states have laws restricting raffles to registered non-profit orgs, and rules that specify HOW the raffle can and must be conducted.

heres PAs "small games of chance" laws:

COMMONWEALTH OF PENNSYLVANIA

DEPARTMENT OF REVENUE

SMALL GAMES OF CHANCE

Game Summary

The following information briefly explains each small game of chance as well as a summary of some of the requirements and restrictions a licensed organization must follow. It should by no means be considered comprehensive or all-inclusive.

1. PUNCHBOARDS

A punchboard is defined in the Act as a board, placard, or other device marked off in a grid or columns, in which each section contains a hidden number or numbers, or other symbol, which determines the winning chances.

A punchboard must comply with the following:

a. At least 60% of the maximum potential gross receipts from the sale of plays on each punchboard must be payable as prizes;

b. A prize on an individual punch may not exceed $500 in value;

c. The flare advertising prizes available from the operation of the punch board must be made by the manufacturer and may not be altered; however a substitute flare can be made by a licensed eligible organization to be used with the punchboard containing the required information;

d. Only one flare may be displayed and must be on the face or on top of the punchboard;

e. The flare must display the winning numbers or symbols for all prizes in the amount of $5.00 or more, contain the manufacturers' name logo, and the cost per play; and

f. The punchboard must be purchased from a distributor licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.

2. PULL-TABS

A pull-tab is defined in the Act as a single folded or banded ticket, or a strip ticket or card with the face covered to conceal one or more numbers or symbols, where one or more of each set of tickets or cards has been designated in advance as a winner.

A pull-tab deal must comply with the following:

a. At least 65% of the maximum potential gross receipts from the sale of plays shall be payable as prizes;

b. A prize on an individual pull-tab may not exceed $500;

c. An individual pull-tab deal may not contain more than 4,000 individual pull-tabs;

d. The flare advertising prizes available from the pull-tab deal must be made by the manufacturer and may not be altered unless the licensed eligible organization makes its own flare containing the same information. The flare must display the winning numbers or symbols for all prizes in the amount of $5.00 or more, be placed on the face or on the top of the dispenser used to dispense pull-tabs, contain the manufacturer's name or logo, and cost per play. Only one flare may be displayed; and

e. The pull-tab deal must be purchased from a distributor licensed by the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue.

3. RAFFLES

A raffle is defined by the Act as a game in which a participant buys a ticket for a chance at a prize with the winner determined by a random drawing of corresponding ticket stubs to take place at a location and date printed on the ticket.

There are two types of raffles allowed under the Act: 1) a regular raffle; and, 2) a raffle conducted through a special permit. They differ only in amount of prizes that can be awarded and the number that may be held per calendar year. Raffle winners may also be determined by reference to drawings conducted by the Department pursuant to the State Lottery Law, (72 P.S. §3761-101, et seq.).

Both types of raffles must comply with the following:

a. Tickets must have a detachable stub, be consecutively numbered and be accounted for separately through the use of a logbook showing to whom the tickets were given to be sold. The ticket stub shall bear a duplicate number corresponding to the numbers on the ticket and contain the purchaser's name, address and telephone number. Both parts shall be imprinted with sequential numbers commencing with "1" through the maximum number of tickets to be sold; or in the case of a raffle where the winner is determined by a drawing of the State Lottery, the universe of eligible ticket numbers shall correspond to the universe of eligible numbers in the State Lottery drawing.

b. The ticket shall contain the date, time and location of the drawing, the name of the licensee and license number (special permit number where applicable), price of the ticket and prizes to be awarded;

c. The drawing must be conducted openly and in plain view of the players present;

d. Raffle tickets may be sold at locations other than the licensee's premises but can only be sold in municipalities which have approved the use of small games of chance. There are notice requirements that must be met to sell outside the licensing county;

e. A purchaser does not have to be present at the drawing to win; and

f. Raffle tickets need not be purchased from licensed distributors.

In a regular raffle the maximum individual prize is $500. No more than $5,000 in cash or merchandise may be awarded through regular raffles in a calendar month.

A licensed organization may apply for a special permit. Only one raffle may be conducted under each special permit. A licensed eligible organization may receive no more than two special permits in any licensed year with the exception of volunteer fire, ambulance and rescue organizations, which may receive three. The total value of all raffle prizes awarded under all special permits may not exceed $100,000 in a calendar year.

4. DAILY DRAWINGS

A daily drawing is defined by the Act as a game in which a bona fide member of an eligible organization selects or is assigned a number for a chance at a prize with the winner determined by a random drawing to take place at the licensed organization's premises during the same operating day. Daily drawing winners may be determined with the aid of a passive selection device or reference to the State Lottery drawings. The ticket may not cost more than $1.00, nor may more than one chance be sold to a member in the same operating day. Half-and-half lotteries and member-sign-in lotteries are considered daily drawings.

Additional requirements for daily drawings include:

a. Tickets may be purchased only by bona fide members;

b. Tickets may be sold only on the licensed premises;

c. The purchaser does not have to be present at the drawing to win;

d. Prizes awarded in a daily drawing may exceed the $500 per prize and $5,000 per week prize limits if the prize is the result of a carryover of a drawing that resulted from the winning number in such drawing not being among the eligible entrants that day. A prize may not exceed the prize limits when there is a failure to conduct a drawing on an operating day or for a drawing in which prizes were sold in excess of $1.00 or for a drawing in which more than one chance is sold to an eligible participant;

e. A daily drawing prize may exceed the $5,000.00 weekly limit if it is awarded pursuant to a daily drawing that is set up to award 100% of the gross revenues generated by the drawing. Such prize, however, may not exceed the $500 per prize limit unless it is paid pursuant to a carryover drawing;

f. A licensed eligible organization may not conduct any daily drawings during a week in which the organization conducts a weekly drawing; and

g. The rules of the games must be prominently posted.

5. WEEKLY DRAWINGS

A weekly drawing is defined by the Act as a game in which a bona fide member selects or receives a number or numbers for a chance at a prize with the winner determined by a random drawing to take place on the eligible organization's premises at the end of a seven-day period. Weekly drawing winners may be determined with the aid of a passive selection device or reference to State Lottery drawings. A licensed eligible organization may sell more than one chance in a weekly drawing to a bona fide member. However, no chance may be sold for more than $1.00. A weekly drawing prize may exceed $500.

Additional requirements for weekly drawings include:

a. Tickets may be purchased only by bona fide members;

b. The prize awarded in a weekly drawing may exceed the $5,000 weekly prize limit if the prize is the result of a carryover of a weekly drawing that result from the winning number in such drawing not being among the eligible entrants in such drawings. The prize may not exceed the $5,000.00 weekly prize limit if there is a failure to conduct a weekly drawing or if it is for a weekly drawing in which chances are sold in excess of $1.00. A weekly drawing prize may also exceed the $5,000 weekly prize limit if it is set up to pay out 100% of the revenues generated; and

c. An eligible organization may not conduct any daily drawings during a week in which a weekly drawing is conducted.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(York County)

i'm in no matter what gun it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
    Please remember that at this point I think GodsCountry is just trying to quantify the level of interest and this "survey" is completely non-binding. Including handles just helps to keep track if posts update "out of order". More formal rules should probably be set forth if it turns out there is a suitable level of interest.

Yes this is just an informal inquiry, I'm just trying to find people that would be willing to fork over 10 bucks or so for a chance.

Vortex the way you layed it out is almost exactly the way I see it in my mind.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    check PAs raffle laws, many states have laws restricting raffles to registered non-profit orgs, and rules that specify HOW the raffle can and must be conducted.

First thank you for posting the rules.
    Second I want to state emphatically that the PAFOA is in no way affiliated or sponsoring this raffle, should it come to pass.

More info with regard to the raffle will be posted today.
    FUCK BIDEN

Quote Originally Posted by Nate View Post
    i'm in no matter what gun it is.
    Exactly my feeling. In my mind who cares what it is. If the winner doesn't want it he/she can easily sell it for a nice profit to put towards a gun they want or the new snow thrower they need.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Fayette County)

I am off work from back surgery and have very limited funds, but would be in for $10 for this cause. It wouldn't matter to me, heck buy a $100 .22 rifle and I would still be in .
    "Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive." - Elbert Hubbard

(Northampton County)

I am in not matter what the raffel is.

Thank you putting forth this great idea!!!

- Chris

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast