Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Mercer County)

Default Finally had my first "Why" interaction

I just realized this might be in the wrong section? it includes open carry and conceal?

It’s been just about a week since I got my LTCF and since then I rarely go anywhere without my Glock 23 or Glock 27. Story starts with a few buddies and me looking to play paintball, so we had around about 4-5 people. All around 18-24 years of age. Only 1 of them knows I carry because we go to the range all the time and shoot. I prefer OC to CC but around a bunch of "buddies", I didn't think it would be a smart thing to OC. Let’s face it, we know how some people get. "Is that a gun? Let me see!"

So I just decided to conceal it on my hip. Right now we are all in my buddy’s front lawn waiting to get more people to play but everyone kept making up excuses not to play. "I’m out of air (CO2)." "I don’t have any balls (paintballs haha)" etc. Anyways, that’s not important. So by the time we got enough people to play it was already getting a little dark and the place we play at is about 20minutes away. So we decided not to play because of the dark. So we decided to just BS.

Somehow the subject of guns came up. My buddy smiles and looks at me trying to find my Glock. I smiled, and just put my hand over my holster, giving him the signal that I had it. What’s my buddy do? Laughs and says I have my Glock. No one believed and called him a liar and asked to see it, and I’m not one of those "I carry to show it off" people, so I simply denied their request and said it’s not a toy.

They called me a liar again and basically said it was a good thing I didn’t have one because they were Illegal to have.

So I laughed and found this interesting now. I raised my shirt, showing a Glock 23. It was like the first time a 13 year old boy saw his first set of boobies. I couldn’t believe the reactions I got. One kid stepped back like I was about to attack him, another said I wasn’t allowed to carry that and the third called me a idiot. Me and my buddy looked at each other and was like wow, okay dumbass.

My buddy would also be carrying but he’s under age so he’s on my side. And the other basically start insulting me,

"Why do you need that!"

"Who do you plan to shoot with that!"

"There’s no need for that in our town!"

"You’re not allowed to have that loaded."

I simply smiled and looked at my buddy and shook my head.

Me - “You must not of heard about this thing called "the second amendment" have you?

One replied, “Yeah your right to bear arms IN YOUR HOME.”

I laughed and said, "Your allowed to carry a firearm in PA, there is no law against it. In fact, I can walk down the street right now with my gun on my hip and I wouldn’t be breaking any laws."

And of course, one smartly says, "Well until you see a cop and you go oh shit!"

I chuckled, one because yeah I probably would be like oh shit (haven’t been confronted yet) and two because these people are idiots. So I stick to the facts and say "There is nothing a cop can do to me, I did not break any laws. And it is perfectly Legal to carry a firearm in PA."

Basically this goes on and on with them saying stupid stuff and even after me giving them facts about the law they still don’t believe me. All in all, I found it to be entertaining and I felt a little better about my knowledge. Thanks to PAFOA.
    Last edited by ScarMack; October 26th, 2010 at 04:58 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Finally had my first "Why" interaction

This would have been a good time to have some of the pamphlets.

(Mercer County)

pamphlets? You make your own?

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarMack View Post
    pamphlets? You make your own?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...re-you-do.html

First post, number 3.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Mercer County)

HAHA. duh, cool thanks I appreciate that!

(Berks County)

Yup, check all the stickies for some good info.

Sounds like it was basicly a good experience although showing the LTCF instead of the GL23 might have more of a positive impact on suggesting you knew the law better than the others.

(But I'm not one to let others see to satsify curiosity if I'm CC.)

BTW, may I suggest the use of <CR> aka: ASCI 013 to make your post easier to read.

You ought to get the guys together for a range trip, teach them gun safety and educate them on their rights

Peace Brother
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by ScarMack View Post

I raised my shirt, showing a Glock 23. It was like the first time a 13 year old boy saw his first set of boobies. I couldn’t believe the reactions I got. One kid stepped back like I was about to attack him, another said I wasn’t allowed to carry that and the third called me a idiot. Me and my buddy looked at each other and was like wow, okay dumbass.
    Wait, I didn't see my first set until I was 15 !!!

Anyway, I couldn't help but think of the interesting situation of carrying while playing paint ball. I mean, if you run out of paintball ammo, you could always say, aaaah I 'll just use this thing on my hip

Definitely get some fliers and do the educating thing with your buddies. Go easy with them, be patient and confident too. Some will be more eager to learn than others.

Be careful always!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by JJN View Post
    This would have been a good time to have some of the pamphlets.
    Thanks for the reminder, I was down to one left.. (great out of color ink, haha)

(Montgomery County)

Reminds me of the time I was at my not at the time GF's house on the couch getting a little dirty and she get's poked and says "What's that?" and I whip out my Glock in the holster and slap it on the table. lol.